Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 18:50   #886
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

Many things wrong here right from that approach to getting squeezed between the KSRTC and narrowing path (did the bus try to veer to the left?). As I tried to rush past the KSRTC, the slow moving truck in front triggered a panic (if I am honest) cut into the right (in the KSRTC's path) in order to clear the truck
Haha you were trying to be cheeky and take the opportunity to pass the bus I would say you were really lucky that the bus didn't accelerate and sandwich you while you were diagonal between the truck and the bus. One reason the bus didn't accelerate because it sae the incoming car.
Yes the bus did veer to the left as your car went over something on the left leading to slight hump which shows space becoming narrow. The bus would have seen the incoming car and it tried to veer left, it definitely wasn't expecting you to try a overtaking maneuver there.

We should avoid such maneuvers because there is only a limited amount of things the opposite driver can make note of - here the bus driver's attention was taken by the incoming car.
We all are guilty of such overtaking, we see space and think we can overtake safely but what we fail to account is whether the other driver is expecting an overtake there.
In an overtake, it is also necessary that the other driver knows someone is overtaking.

Well we learn from mistakes, better if the mistakes are someone else's... This short gif will definitely help me be more conscious on the road.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 17:42   #887

This happened last month.

My mistake: Got distracted by a small creaking sound inside the cabin. Started checking its origin once I exited the city traffic. Didn't notice the stopped truck till the last moment due to sunshine.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th August 2023 at 20:19. Reason: typo
aj.jaswanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 17:42   #888
BHPian

The watchman signals all clear and I come up the ramp, only to be greeted by two pedestrians walking in the middle of the road.

I had to brake really hard. Boy that was scary. If I were not alert anything untoward could have happened.

The watchman should have alerted the walkers or asked me to wait for a minute or two more. He did neither.

Capri89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 19:01   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
The watchman should have alerted the walkers or asked me to wait for a minute or two more. He did neither.
Yes, he should have alerted you. At the same time, is the ramp so steep that you need to gather much momentum to exit without lugging or stalling?

From the video, it felt as if you were lunging forward and braked at the last moment. Even if there are no pedestrians, I guess a more controlled approach would be safer.
--gKrish-- is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 12:25   #890
BHPian

Quote:

https://Youtu.be/UqJt2u4uxA0
He was on his phone watching some reels!
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 17:44   #891
BHPian

Quote:
The watchman signals all clear...

... The watchman should have alerted the walkers or asked me to wait for a minute or two more. He did neither.
One should be very careful of the surroundings and not blindly trust the watchmen or construction workers or similar people who are not qualified enough to judge correctly other people or vehicle on the road.

Although, in this case, I don't think there is much in your control as it's a very steep ramp and completely hinders the view of the road.
Perhaps installing convex mirrors on both sides of the gate might help to get a view of the road just before exiting the ramp.
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 20:33   #892
BHPian

Quote:
The watchman signals all clear and I come up the ramp, only to be greeted by two pedestrians walking in the middle of the road.

I had to brake really hard. Boy that was scary. If I were not alert anything untoward could have happened.

As far as I can tell from the video I have a simple suggestion based on defensive driving principles. When planning to get out of the underground parking you should plan it in two stages. (1) Get to the top of the ramp and stop (2) look around and then make the turn into the road. This is a place where stop (at the top) and go should be the rule due to the lack of visibility. You should mostly ignore what the watch man is saying.

This is a common scenario in many of the high range driving location Wayanad for example. There would be a small road that climbs (quite steeply) into a busy road (or not so busy road). I always use this two stage technique in such cases.

If your car has hill hold then things would not be so difficult but with a manual transmission car you will need some skills here and should engage the hand brake at the top of the climb and not just clutch slip. You might have to hold the stop position on
the incline for some time if you are entering a busy road and hence just burning the clutch is not a good idea.
electric_eel is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 21:04   #893
BHPian

This was a real near miss for me. This biker for no reason goes to extreme left, hits sand and gravel, skids badly. I almost thought 100% he would definitely hit my car from the side, however escaped by few milliseconds or few inches. Fortunately there was no heavy vehicle or car approaching from behind and he was able to stand up and move to safety.

Sedate driver is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 01:04   #894
BHPian

This happened to me a few years back. I can’t seem to recall the exact date but it was an extremely terrifying incident. My cousin and I were enjoying ourselves driving around, listening to music and maybe after 20 mins of driving around he decided to street race with an old 525i. To my actual surprise, he managed to outrun that car and came to a halt at the signal ahead. Mind you, the guy in the 525i was also driving as fast as he could. This was a definite moment of “it’s not the car, it’s the driver”. After that short race, we turned the car and we continued to drive fast. That was when he realized that the brakes (which were stock at the time) had completely faded and the car was not slowing down. The issue was that on one side there was a concrete divider wall, on the other side, there was a footpath, right in front of us were a few cars who were waiting at a signal. In a moment of quick thinking, he pulled the handbrake and spun the car out. We were terrified as there were cars approaching us from the rear as well. Luckily the car stopped 20m from the traffic ahead of us and nobody hit up from behind. It was a genuine miracle that nobody got hurt and we didn’t crash. After that night, we did not ever try that again and since then I’ve put performance brakes on my car.
That’s one night I will never forget.
Ghost131100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:49   #895
BHPian

Quote:

Your Watchman should not have allowed that truck to be parked there in the first place. Second, what you said.....
Old 4th September 2023, 11:10   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

Near-misses are not so common for me, but here's one:

Skip to 0:57, where a schoolboy on a bicycle has a death wish!
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 21:15   #897
BHPian

This happened to me last week.

I think that bus driver didn't see the scooter at all. No vehicles were behind me so thankfully all safe.
Justin is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 23:26   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I think that bus driver didn't see the scooter at all.
He probably did, just as he would have seen you, but I don't think he cared.
Quote:
No vehicles were behind me
and yet the bus driver did that murderous overtake. When, in a moment, he would have had a clear road.

I guess that poor scooter guy had to put his underwear in the wash!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 10:25   #899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Learnt long ago to never blindly trust a person giving you the all clear. You can take his input but ultimately you have to decide whenever possible.

We can blame others if something goes wrong but ultimately blame will rest on us.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2023, 11:43   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I think that bus driver didn't see the scooter at all.
But you might have seen him and should've anticipated the move by the bus driver and given the bus an exit route instead of going so close and making it tight. We should have Crash avoidance space on sides on undivided roads.

This is where you could've slowed down and give enough space for bus to go back to its lane.

Name:  kozhikode.PNG
Views: 415
Size:  412.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He probably did, just as he would have seen you, but I don't think he cared.
True
chaitanyakrish is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks