Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 08:44   #1396

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Hi any23. Can you please help me with the Graco distributor contact info? Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Congratulations, and welcome to parenthood.

This is the only reason I went ahead and ordered Graco even if it was bit heavy on the pocket considering range of child seats available from different brands. Why Extend2fit model only because it offers extra legroom for the child which I feel will be handy once the child grows. It is a well put together seat and felt sturdy. comfort part I still cannot comment on, but as per reviews it will shine in that department too.
Old 29th March 2024, 17:27   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettertwitter View Post
Hi any23. Can you please help me with the Graco distributor contact info? Thank you.
Hope this helps, request you to update here if they are still doing business in India.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-screenshot_20240329123741.png  

any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 09:59   #1398

This helped, thanks!

I spoke to Suresh. Gracos have been largely out of stock for a while. He has a few Nuna and Britax as of now but not the kind I want - convertible and 0-11 years. I think Chicco with their stores is the only global brand with some decent presence in India now.

I will likely end up buying either Chicco Unico Evo I-Size (c.25k) or Nextfit Zip (c.34k). Any other recommendations are welcome too of course, based on availability.

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by any23 View Post
Hope this helps, request you to update here if they are still doing business in India.
bettertwitter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 09:51   #1399
BHPian

I've isofix r for rabbit car seat for my 1yr 3 months old daughter. But she becomes very dull the moment she enters car since she had motion sickness from a few months. She'll be considerably okay in her mom's lap, but becomes totally dull and inactive whenever she's in car seat. Have tried rear facing and front facing both. Nothing helps. On our long journeys a few months back, we made her sit in the car seat itself, but on some journeys, she puked 6-7 times and was fully tired. For next few journeys, she sat/slept on her mom's lap and didn't puke at least, but was still dull.

Gradually she started becoming a bit active whenever on lap. So we ditched car seat for a few weeks. Now we tried to Re introduce it, but she puked again and became full again. So wife wants to sell it off or ditch it for few more months. But it is not safe at all to keep her on laps and also tiresome on long journeys. I'm sure many of you would've faced similar situations. How did you resolve it and what steps did you follow?

Last edited by MalnadMansha : 26th April 2024 at 09:51. Reason: Correcting typo
Old 26th April 2024, 11:22   #1400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalnadMansha View Post
But she becomes very dull the moment she enters car since she had motion sickness from a few months.
If the seat has multiple recline options, is the seat at the right angle? Perhaps an incorrect posture in the seat is causing her discomfort?

People often have motion sickness, perhaps it is just that, and unrelated to the seat?
Old 26th April 2024, 11:52   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure many of you would've faced similar situations. How did you resolve it and what steps did you follow?
Only thing that worked for motion sickness was absolutely ZERO milk on long drives. And even food we fed only in small chunks and try and make up once we reached the destination.

Kids do throw tantrums and when we started we too did like 50-50 lap + car seat. Mainly try to make the kid sleep on the lap and then put her in the car seat.

Also what works is using car seat all the time. Many times for short 20-30 min drives we say it is fine let her just be on the lap. But that is actually an opportunity to get her used to the seat for long drives.
Old 27th April 2024, 18:10   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
How did you resolve it and what steps did you follow?
My daughter has motion sickness since she was 6 months old and here are few things we do to manage it. Its mostly trial and error to see what works for your child.

1. No milk.
2. Do not travel empty stomach except when traveling in morning. When starting early, wake her up at least an hour before the planned trip. Let her play around so that she is fully awake. Then when you start, try to get her to sleep again. Keep small quantity packet of food she likes with you. When she wakes up again take a break and her her small quantities to eat. There should be a minimum 20 min gap between food intake and resumption of the journey. In the mean time, let her play outside.
3. Another option which you may try is to transfer the sleeping kid to the car seat. It never worked for me as my daughter used to wake up and not sleep later. In addition, this will not work as she gets older.
4. Plan your trip: Find out good rest stops where the child can just move around. We used to stop at a place with cots so she used to play on it and then we would move on. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't.
5. Take a break during journey: Any travel of more than 2 hours will require a break. I made a mistake many times of keeping on driving past my pre-decided rest stop when she was sleeping only for her to wake up some time later and vomit. Then any time you gained is lost and you will need to stop at an unfavourable location.
6. The reclining position should be optimal. If the position is not optimal it puts pressure on the childs abdomen and causes discomfort and vomiting.
7. Reduce your speed: I made this mistake many times. When my daughter was asleep, I drove at my usual speed thinking that as she is asleep I can cover some time. This doesn't work unless the road is super smooth. She will vomit when she wakes up. The trick is to ask your wife if she is feeling comfortable or the ride is feeling bouncy. There is a lot of difference in the comfort during driving in front and rear seat. If the ride is bouncy, you will have to reduce the speed. If she is awake drop it further by 5-10 kmph.
8. Add 1 hour to your ETA. Google maps ETA is for solo driving. Add one hour to every 5 hours of driving.
9. As she gets older, give her something to munch on when she gets hungry in car like chips, makhanas etc. Biscuits, cookies do not work, I do not know why.
10. If travelling in afternoon after meals, a gap of 1 hour is essential. This way, the food moves down and the child is sleepy. You may cover good distance in that time. Keep list of rest stops according to when the child is sleeping and awake. Usually a break is not needed for initial 2.5 hours if you drive slower.
11. No long distance travelling please. Any trip of more than 7-8 hours is seriously tiring for the child. Take a train/flight if the total travel time (after adding 1 hour) is lesser.
12. Keep garbage bags in your car. As soon as your wife senses the danger signs put it around her. It reduces the mess and the number of clothes that require changing.
13. Travel with window partially opened. If it is not possible due to pollution or any other reason, select fresh air option (turn recirculation off) and also turn on air purifier in the car. (Please do not buy ozone based purifier, they are more harmful). Even then, you will need to open windows in between.
14. It goes without saying: No mountain travel.
15. If the car seat is soiled, it need cleaning before travel as the smell itself causes vomiting.
16. Once she has vomited, you will need to travel with windows partially open. No other option is available.
17. Keep some toys in car. When she is awake, actively engage in games, sing alongs etc.

It will improve as she gets older.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by NG_EV : 27th April 2024 at 18:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks