Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2023, 21:31   #631
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Did the Bangalore - Vellamunda (Wayanad) - Bangalore trip during 11/11 - 13/11.

Went via Mysore - Gundulpetu - Sultan Bathery - Vellamunda route (and return also the same).
Roads are pretty OK.
Stayed at Wild Planet - Bana Heights. Nice facility. The approach road of 5KM is really an off-road especially the last 2KM.
Old 19th November 2023, 13:38   #632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The road from Meenangadi to Panamaram or rather Pachilakkadu where it joins the Kalpetta-Mananthavady road (the right fork at Meenangadi junction) was in very good condition when I travelled that way in April/May - should be shorter by about 10kms compared to traveling all the way to Kainatty and turning right there. (Also I'm not sure if they are not allowing right turns at Kainatty junction now - Google maps seems to suggest going straight and taking a U turn somewhere further ahead - if so, this must be a recent development, it was certainly allowed till a couple of months ago).
I travelled to Mananthavady in this year September from Ooty. After S.Bathery I planned to take diversion from Meenangadi but followed Gmaps unknowingly took right turn from Beenachi through Koleri, Nadavayal which joins Panamaram main road from Kalpetta near the Panamaram river. Roads were pretty good and was shorter by further 4/5 kms compared to Pachilakkadu route.

Last edited by kvsneela : 19th November 2023 at 13:44.
Old 20th November 2023, 19:43   #633
BHPian

Did BLR - Mysore - hunsur - nagarhole - Kutta - Thirunelly Last week.
BLR - MYS - Super good expressway
MYS - Hunsur - Neat roads
Hunsur - Nagarhole entry checkpoint - decent road quality
Nagarhole Checkpoint to Murkal quarters : 7km total - Broken roads
Murkal to Kuuta - SUper good narrow single lane road
Kutta to Kerala border - Broken roads
In Kerala - SUper Duper good roads

Return was Thirunelly - Kutta - badaga - kothur - kanoor- balyavade - besagoor- nallur - nillur - Tithmati - hunsur - BLR
Excellent roads except a small patch around besagoor
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 23:58   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvsneela View Post
I travelled to Mananthavady in this year September from Ooty. After S.Bathery I planned to take diversion from Meenangadi but followed Gmaps unknowingly took right turn from Beenachi through Koleri, Nadavayal which joins Panamaram main road from Kalpetta near the Panamaram river. Roads were pretty good and was shorter by further 4/5 kms compared to Pachilakkadu route.
I haven't travelled on that road for a while, so wasn't sure of the conditions. However came across a news article in a Malayalam newspaper today which says that road is in shambles between Nadavayal and Panamaram. ("Not even fit for pedestrians" as per the article)
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation-screenshot_20231120235112273_com.brave.browseredit.jpg  

Old 21st November 2023, 09:36   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
I haven't travelled on that road for a while, so wasn't sure of the conditions. However came across a news article in a Malayalam newspaper today which says that road is in shambles between Nadavayal and Panamaram. ("Not even fit for pedestrians" as per the article)
Yes.. I remember the last portion of couple of kms before the road joins Kalpetta-Mananthavady road had pot holes and broken areas but it was nowhere undriveable (I assume the photos shown the newspaper is from this portion of the road). From Nadavayal two roads are going towards Panamaram. Left road going via Nelliyambam and right one via Mathoor. Both roads join again after Mathoor. We took the left one and road was ok upto Mathoor junction. Then the last miles had broken portions and potholes before the main road from Kalpetta but was drivable.That is why we returned back through the same road again after our Valliyoorkaavu visit. Since we went in last week of September rainy season might be over by that time and road would be not have deteriorated further I assume though the newspaper article is the latest information.

Last edited by kvsneela : 21st November 2023 at 09:41.
Old 19th December 2023, 21:14   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post

Return was Thirunelly - Kutta - badaga - kothur - kanoor- balyavade - besagoor- nallur - nillur - Tithmati - hunsur - BLR
Excellent roads except a small patch around besagoor
Thank you for this!

I have an upcoming trip from Blr to Panamaram. Since the Hd Kote handpost Bavali route is in shambles, I was planning to take Sultan bathery route.

Your update here tilts towards Thitimathi-Kutta-Kattikulam-Panamaran route. I am very much familiar with the route from Blr until Thithimathi. Your post mentions the rest of it also is good. How is the traffic in the above stretch. Anything I should watchout for?

How is Kattikulam-Koyileri-Panamaram stretch? Or, is it better to go vial Mananthavady?
Old 20th December 2023, 11:07   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAneesh View Post
Thank you for this!

I have an upcoming trip from Blr to Panamaram. Since the Hd Kote handpost Bavali route is in shambles, I was planning to take Sultan bathery route.

Your update here tilts towards Thitimathi-Kutta-Kattikulam-Panamaran route. I am very much familiar with the route from Blr until Thithimathi. Your post mentions the rest of it also is good. How is the traffic in the above stretch. Anything I should watchout for?

How is Kattikulam-Koyileri-Panamaram stretch? Or, is it better to go vial Mananthavady?
No traffic in that stretch. but if your destination is Panamaram then i will suggest the bathery route.
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 12:39   #638

Hi All,
I'm having an upcoming family trip from bangalore->mysore->vythri (wayanad). I checked the route, and I realized the route between mysore and wayand goes thru the forest. Since I'm going with family, few questions regarding safety :

1. How good is the road between mysore & wayanad ?
2. Is it ok to drive in the forest route ? Any time restriction or wildlife issues or safety issues we need to be prepared for ?
3. Are there any good eateries along the way or best to have breakfast and start ?
4. In case of unfortunate breakdowns in the forest route, any helpline no or anyone to call ? Assuming since its a forest there would be no garages or anything nearby ?
Old 28th March 2024, 13:20   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
Hi All,
I'm having an upcoming family trip from bangalore->mysore->vythri (wayanad). I checked the route, and I realized the route between mysore and wayand goes thru the forest. Since I'm going with family, few questions regarding safety :

1. How good is the road between mysore & wayanad ?
2. Is it ok to drive in the forest route ? Any time restriction or wildlife issues or safety issues we need to be prepared for ?
3. Are there any good eateries along the way or best to have breakfast and start ?
4. In case of unfortunate breakdowns in the forest route, any helpline no or anyone to call ? Assuming since its a forest there would be no garages or anything nearby ?
Since your destination is Vythiri, you could take either of the two routes from Mysore into Wayanad (both go through dense forest, though). These are Mysore-Gundlupete-Sulthan Bathery (the NH route) or Mysore-Handpost-Mananthavady (the SH route). To answer your questions:

1. The NH route has very well-maintained roads. The SH route is in somewhat bad condition inside the WLS zone. It is narrower too, so be wary when crossing a rashly driven bus or truck.

2. The NH route has night restriction between 9 PM and 6 AM, the SH route has it between 5 PM and 6 AM. You might see a lot of wildlife, but as long as you don't provoke them they'd also leave you alone. It is perfectly safe to drive to Wayanad and points beyond. I drive with windows up, music off, low beam, no stopping, no honking, no speeding, no photos, no loud noises. Also please refrain from feeding the animals or littering inside the forest. Plastic is a big no-no.

3. The SH route has practically nothing between Mysore and Mananthavady (about 100 km / 3 hours) except small wayside tea stalls. The NH route has some restaurants till Gundlupete but nothing after that till Sulthan Bathery (about 50 km / 1.5 hours). Most people take their meals in Mysore before proceeding towards Kerala.

4. I think the forests have very little / zero mobile signal. But these routes are very well-travelled, somebody or the other will soon notice you if you have a breakdown. Also forest officials patrol often.

You might be over-worrying. These routes are taken by thousands of travellers on a daily basis - both NRKs like me and tourists who contribute a major chunk of Wayanad's economy.

Most Viewed