Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 22:22   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suviswan View Post
We are travelling from Bangalore to Wayanad this weekend. We booked at Petals resort. What's the best route for this? I will be driving a self drive rental car and it needs a permit to enter Kerala. Where is the RTO in the route to take the permit?
Would have been nice if you had provided the address of the resort. Anyway I looked it up - it is on the Kalpetta-Tharuvana road. So the best route from Bangalore would be: Bangalore > Mysore > Gundlupet > Sulthan Bathery > Kalpetta > Petals Resort.

The interstate border is between Gundlepet-Sulthan Bathery. The KL-side checkposts are mostly at a place called Muthanga which is about 6 km from the river that separates the two states (ie, from the "Welcome to Kerala" boards). You will find checkposts in order sales tax (disused), forest, RTO and excise. The RTO one is particularly easy to locate because it is where all commercial vehicles have to report - and they operate a boom barrier too.

An interceptor is usually stationed between here and Sulthan Bathery town to "remind" those drivers who miss the checkpost.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 11:48   #557
Senior - BHPian

My kins stayed in a placed called "Doctors Plantation stay" in Thirunelly. This is a reasonably priced homestay at forest fringes owned by a gentleman who is a Doctor by profession. Recommended for folks looking for a forest experience at a reasonable price with no luxury. Place is suitable for families and even larger group and is listed on Airbnb.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:49   #558
BHPian

Suggestions needed - what should be our preferred route from Bangalore South (RR Nagar) to Vythiri Resort? How is the condition of the road in general? Considering that we are in post monsoon time, i am not expecting the roads to be terrific but i hope they are not terrible. Please suggest if we should avoid any specific stretch of road.
Old 3rd November 2020, 15:59   #559
pms
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Suggestions needed - what should be our preferred route from Bangalore South (RR Nagar) to Vythiri Resort? How is the condition of the road in general? Considering that we are in post monsoon time, i am not expecting the roads to be terrific but i hope they are not terrible. Please suggest if we should avoid any specific stretch of road.
Sorry, just now noticed it was a month old post, hope you must have traveled and returned safely :-)

I traveled to Mananthavady last Thursday and returned this weekend after a 3 night vacation. Route I took was BLR(Near Old Airport)-Mysore-Hampapura-HD Kote-Antharasanthe-Bavali-Kattikulam-Mananthavady.

You can use the same route and extend: Mananthavady-Panamaram-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

Roads are good throughout barring some 10Kms within the forest section before Bavali with potholes and narrow width. You will have to drive little carefully in this section especially if its a sedan. I drove in a Honda City and with usual care it was a very smooth drive.

BLR-MYS as usual lots of roadwork and heavy traffic, can beat that a bit if you plan to start early morning around 5 or 5:30AM.

Last edited by pms : 3rd November 2020 at 16:00.
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:49   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
Sorry, just now noticed it was a month old post, hope you must have traveled and returned safely :-)

I traveled to Mananthavady last Thursday and returned this weekend after a 3 night vacation. Route I took was BLR(Near Old Airport)-Mysore-Hampapura-HD Kote-Antharasanthe-Bavali-Kattikulam-Mananthavady.

You can use the same route and extend: Mananthavady-Panamaram-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

Roads are good throughout barring some 10Kms within the forest section before Bavali with potholes and narrow width. You will have to drive little carefully in this section especially if its a sedan. I drove in a Honda City and with usual care it was a very smooth drive.

BLR-MYS as usual lots of roadwork and heavy traffic, can beat that a bit if you plan to start early morning around 5 or 5:30AM.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, my trip is completed and it was a fabulous trip. Fortunately, my family and I are all safe. For my onward journey I used the Mysore road as I started early morning and didnt expect much traffic on Mysore road. For my return journey I took the Kanakapura road (avoiding the Mysore road completely) via Harohalli, Malavalli, Halagur, Sathanpur, Kanakapura. I have to say this section of the route was much better than Mysore road. Especially from Marase to Kanakapura it's great, from Kanakapura to Bangalore road is okay but very crowded.
Old 31st May 2022, 17:33   #561
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Mysore Expressway status & updates thread

Hi, I'm planning a trip to Wayanad in a day. Should I take the Bangalore - Mysore route or should I take the kanakapura route. Or the partial Mysore road route. All three mentioned below.

I'm seeing lots of old mentions regarding Kanakapura road condition. Is it recommended ?

Route 1 : Bangalore → Channapatna → Srirangapatna → Mysore → Kattikulam → Wayanad

Route 2 : Bangalore → Kanakapura → Kollegal → Chamarajanagar → Gundlupet → Wayanad

Route 3 : Bangalore → Channapatna → Malavalli → Somanathapura → Gundlupet→ Bandipur → Wayanad
Old 31st May 2022, 17:41   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnr View Post
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Wayanad in a day. Should I take the Bangalore - Mysore route or should I take the kanakapura route. Or the partial Mysore road route. All three mentioned below.

I'm seeing lots of old mentions regarding Kanakapura road condition. Is it recommended ?

Route 1 : Bangalore → Channapatna → Srirangapatna → Mysore → Kattikulam → Wayanad

Route 2 : Bangalore → Kanakapura → Kollegal → Chamarajanagar → Gundlupet → Wayanad

Route 3 : Bangalore → Channapatna → Malavalli → Somanathapura → Gundlupet→ Bandipur → Wayanad
Where exactly are you starting from and where are you headed to in Wayanad. That also plays a role in the route. The Kanakpura route you mentioned is not exactly the one that is recommended. It is Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore-Gundlepet. Bangalore Kanakpura is now relaid and smooth. Rest of the route is also good.

The first option is the existing highway. Apart from the bypasses of the town's a lot of the new stretches are open. So if you are traveling during a non peak time, this route is also ok.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:47   #563
BHPian

Quote:

whats your destination in Wayanad District?
Old 1st June 2022, 10:06   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Where exactly are you starting from and where are you headed to in Wayanad.
The first option is the existing highway. Apart from the bypasses of the town's a lot of the new stretches are open. So if you are traveling during a non peak time, this route is also ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W@SIM View Post
whats your destination in Wayanad District?

Hi, I will be starting from South Bangalore / Bommanahallli. I would be exiting via Bannerghatta road - NICE road.

Destination is Thariyode, towards Vythiri I suppose.

I will be starting early in the day (non-peak hours). Also intend to do some slow driving thru the forest area to experience the wild and spot few
Old 1st June 2022, 10:36   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thariyode is accessed via Kalpetta-Mananthavady road.

In terms of road quality you should go via Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta outskirts-turn towards Mananthavady. But this being a busy national highway wildlife-spotting is a very low-probability event. The Mysore-Mananthavady road is less busy and spotting is more common.
Old 1st June 2022, 10:47   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I will be starting from South Bangalore / Bommanahallli. I would be exiting via Bannerghatta road - NICE road.

I will be starting early in the day (non-peak hours). Also intend to do some slow driving thru the forest area to experience the wild and spot few
i am also from the same area(Begur to be precise).. If you have time then i will ask to go via hunsur - kutta-kattikulam-manathavady to enjoy wild life. Maybe book the safari as well at nagarhole. Gmaps says 20mins more and 9kms short.
W@SIM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 03:41   #567
BHPian

I am travelling to Wayanad this weekend and my destination is Mount Xanadu Resorts near Cheengeri hills. I am planning to go via Nagarahole reserve i.e. Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady. Any updates on the road condition?

The other option is Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Bathery, this route is about 20kms shorter and I will reach destination almost an hour earlier. Again, looking for updates on road condition.

I am not in a hurry to reach the destination as the check-in time is 2PM and I plan to start before 6AM. Looking for a scenic and relaxed drive.

Last edited by fast_elegance : 1st July 2022 at 03:43.
Old 1st July 2022, 07:12   #568
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Nanjangud - Gundlupet- Bathery road is excellent, but for 33 road humps on karnataka side of the forest. Need to drive slowely and avoid the temptation of pressing the peddle. You may find wild elephants if you are lucky. Plenty of deers crossing the road and please be careful.I drive in this road once a month as I shuttle between my properties in Mysore and Pulpally in Wayanad.
sumukha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 07:53   #569
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I am planning to go via Nagarahole reserve i.e. Hunsur - Kutta - Mananthavady. Any updates on the road condition?

The other option is Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Bathery, this route is about 20kms shorter and I will reach destination almost an hour earlier.
I would recommend the latter route - shorter as you point out, plus it has better quality roads. This is a national highway till Kolagapara and a well-maintained one at that. The only downside is that this route is a very high-traffic one, being the one that connects the two economic centres of Mysore and Calicut.

Most resorts don't mind you turning up earlier than your check-in time; just that your room / cottage might not be ready early enough. Talk to them about your options. A 6 AM start from Bangalore will see you at the resort by 12 noon perhaps; so a bit of freshening up plus lunch will see you just in time for taking your rooms.
Old 1st July 2022, 14:52   #570
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
Nanjangud - Gundlupet- Bathery road is excellent, but for 33 road humps on karnataka side of the forest. Need to drive slowely and avoid the temptation of pressing the peddle. You may find wild elephants if you are lucky. Plenty of deers crossing the road and please be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I would recommend the latter route - shorter as you point out, plus it has better quality roads. This is a national highway till Kolagapara and a well-maintained one at that. The only downside is that this route is a very high-traffic one, being the one that connects the two economic centres of Mysore and Calicut.

Most resorts don't mind you turning up earlier than your check-in time
Thank you for the recommendations here. I was thinking of Nagarhole route for higher spotting of wild life. I will now stick to the faster bandipur route and might take the Nagarhole during my return. How is the road condition on Nagarhole route. Is it comfortable for a sedan?

I will also check with the resort about early check-in if possible. Thank you again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks