Old 28th November 2022, 17:42   #601
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I see two options:
1. Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupete - Sultan Bathery : 290km
2. Mysore - Hunsur - Nagarhole - Kutta : 256 Km
The former option has good roads and there's a long stretch through Bandipur National park after the right you would take from Gundlupete. You will then reach Muthanga.

If I were you, I would choose the latter. It's shorter and the road is motorable. After Hunsur, you will get to experience the pristine Nagarhole National park in all its glory. I saw my first ever Tiger crossing on this narrow road. The road from Veerannahosalli (after entering the national park) till Murkal is a little battered, but you can easily negotiate it unless you are not driving a low floor sedan. If its a hatch back or an SUV you can easily do it. From Murkal till Kutta the roads are okay, but narrow. From Verannahosalli to Nanachi gate (the other end in Kutta), you are supposed to cover the distance of 35 kms in an hour. If there is excess delay, there may be a fine levied by the Karnataka forest department. You may see plenty wildlife enroute.

From Nanachi gate till you enter Tholpetty range in Wayanad, the route is extremely scenic. At the Y intersection after Tholpetty (where the road goes to Thirunelly, you have the famous "Unniappa Kada". It's a local restaurant amidst the forest. I never miss an opportunity to stop there.

So, if you are a nature and wildlife lover and if you can negotiate some broken roads, you may take the latter option. Else if your priority is traveling point to point and comfort, you may choose the former option via Sultan Bathery. I did both the roads in the last 8 months. Hope this helps .
Tygerman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 17:57   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Hi Folks
Second, I’m due to stay 2 nights at this Taj property, but I would like to spend 1 more night somewhere interesting on the way back to Bangalore.
I assume that the purpose of your 3rd night is just to break the journey for the night. On your return leg, if you are willing to come from the resort at Banasura to Mananthavady and then take the Bavali route, you will drive through the Kabini range of Nagarhole.

Once you cross the Kakankote Safari Center/Antharasanthe forest check post, there's a resort adjoining the Kabini backwaters called "Kabini Lakeview resort". It would be good to book that on Make My Trip at the earliest, because this place too gets booked up pretty soon. Other than this, all other options on that stretch are Safari focused and will be costly for just a night's stay.
Tygerman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 17:00   #603
BHPian

Thanks Tygerman. Your comments have brought back memories of my drive through Athirappilly where there was a time limit.
I think I will take the Nagarhole route for onward and Bandipur for return.
I had my eyes on the unniappam shop for a while now and will certainly make a stop there.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 29th November 2022 at 17:02.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 22:47   #604
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks

Here’s the plan for my upcoming trip to wayanad:-

23rd Dec— Leave Bangalore by around 4pm, hoping to reach mysore by around 7:30pm, stay the night.

24th Dec—Depart Mysore by around 7am, and hopefully reach Wayanad by around 11:30am. I’m staying at a resort near the Banasurasagar dam. Request route and some sightseeing suggestions on my route from mysore to Banasurasagar dam.

26th Dec—Check out by 12pm from the resort and once again come back to mysore for the night stay. Would be again great to have some suggestions on what i can see on the way back.

27th Dec—Leave mysore by 06:30am and hopefully reach my residence at whitefield by 11am.

The reason I’m halting at mysore both the times is simple. Due to the holiday weekend, I anticipate heavy traffic on the Bangalore-Mysore highway on the 24th morning. I think i may just drain myself and my family if we get stuck in some really bad traffic on the 24th morning and i dont want to end up reaching wayanad in a tired state. And while returning, my check out time is 12-1 noon, and i was a bit apprehensive about hitting the Mysore-Bangalore highway during the peak hours of 5-8pm. Also I thought I would try and visit some attractions enroute to mysore as well.

So maybe the break in mysore is a bit unnecessary, but i didn’t want to take a chance with the holiday traffic.

Would really appreciate views on routes and sightseeing options enroute from mysore to wayanad and back as well. Thanks!

Last edited by motorworks : 13th December 2022 at 22:48.
Old 14th December 2022, 08:08   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Folks
23rd Dec— Leave Bangalore by around 4pm, hoping to reach mysore by around 7:30pm, stay the night....

Would really appreciate views on routes and sightseeing options enroute from mysore to wayanad and back as well. Thanks!
This is just a suggestion , difficult to predict for sure.
But given that you are traveling during the peak holiday week, there is a high possibility that the main BLR > MYS expressway would be packed with traffic.

Had the expressway been completed end to end this would not be an issue, but currently there are way too many diversions which will be choked for sure.

The alternate route is Kanakpura > Halagur > Malavalli
Decent road, however it is single lane with a few bad stretches. Food options are hardly any on this stretch once you cross Ravi Shankar Ashram on Kanakpura Rd. This route will have moving traffic and should not get blocked.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 08:36   #606
BHPian

@motorworks.

No idea about traffic if leaving at 4:00 pm, but did Bangalore (C V Raman Nagar) to Mysore (Ring Road Junction) in 1 hr 50 mins yesterday, leaving Bangalore at 5:20 AM. And please note this incredible time was achieved not exceeding 100kmph when possible.

I'm still in shock.

Except for a small section past Mandya most of the journey was on the expressway, but as mentioned very disorganised traffic on the road so need to be careful.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 14th December 2022 at 08:38.
keroo1099 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:15   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
23rd Dec— Leave Bangalore by around 4pm, hoping to reach mysore by around 7:30pm, stay the night.
Just incase you are planning on stopping at Mysore for the night due to night blockage of traffic, you need not worry. With a 4PM start too, you will be able to cross forest checkpost before 9PM deadline. Even considering that there may be traffic due to holidays.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 19:01   #608
avk
BHPian

Folks, looking for suggestions on must visit places for lunch and dinner in Wayanad.

Have planned for spending the Republic Day extended weekend in Vythiri and hoping to cover meenmutty, kuruva, edakkal, chembra etc. Along with sight seeing, would love to explore good food too.

Thanks,
Old 14th January 2023, 19:21   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
looking for suggestions on must visit places for lunch and dinner in Wayanad.
Wilton in Sulthan Bathery is a must-visit type place:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/hWJfDqiMLwzhKAQeA

There are a few others, one that comes to mind is 1980s in Kalpetta:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TzBvB26543ceYGr26
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 21:03   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Folks, looking for suggestions on must visit places for lunch and dinner in Wayanad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There are a few others, one that comes to mind is 1980s in Kalpetta:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TzBvB26543ceYGr26
Don’t miss the 1980’s, we visited in last October and this place is amazing.

Name:  7C0E3E9A728A471B9138F897AB7D140C.jpeg
Views: 1037
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  5E0B56C31A4143CFBE00B3503418B0C4.jpeg
Views: 1009
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  18396209844E4AE18983D0872A3F1384.jpeg
Views: 995
Size:  73.5 KB

Quote:
would love to explore good food too
We had a similar plan, thus we spent two days in Calicut as well
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 20:43   #611
BHPian

Hi All,

Looking for suggestions for breakfast in Mysore. Planning a travel to Wayanad with a 6/ 6:30am start from E-city. Will be taking a 1-hour break at Mysore. Mom is averse to dosa, idli etc due to her medical condition. Hence inclined towards a hotel with a Keralite menu (Puttu, appam etc is fine for her).

Thanks.
Old 4th February 2023, 22:03   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Hence inclined towards a hotel with a Keralite menu (Puttu, appam etc is fine for her).
You might want to start a bit earlier and reach Sulthan Bathery for breakfast, then. Nothing can beat having Kerala cuisine in Kerala.

Actually there are a string of restaurants from Muthanga checkpost onwards. You can get here in about 4 hours.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 20:52   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You might want to start a bit earlier and reach Sulthan Bathery for breakfast, then. Nothing can beat having Kerala cuisine in Kerala.

Actually there are a string of restaurants from Muthanga checkpost onwards. You can get here in about 4 hours.
Thanks. Unfortunately, an earlier start was a no-go from my mom.

So we started as planned at 6:30am and reached Mysuru around 8:30am. I had zeroed in, the previous night, on a few restaurants based on google suggestions; based on the pictures & reviews (lots of fake, imo) I had brought down my expectations to near zero. The first one on the route was Ice World (https://goo.gl/maps/cXqmWSYjYG3kvuZN6). The place had enough curb-side parking. Menu, when we reached, was limited to puttu, green grams & tea. It was good enough for us and in the next leg of the journey, we managed to reach Wilton for our lunch just before the rush started
Old 5th April 2023, 23:34   #614
BHPian

Did BLR-Wayanad round-trip last week.
The Mysore expressway is just fantastic. Easily can do triple digits without getting stressed.

Went through Bandipur route and came back through Nagerhole. Both have their charm but the experience through latter is more humbling. Also 30 km of stretch through Nagerhole is broken roads.

PS: Lots of checking on the way. Not sure for what. My car number plate being from north, I was stopped at every barricade. Sometimes they checked the documents, sometimes I was asked to open the boot or dash. But overall all the cops were polite and any smiling gesture got a reciprocal response.

Last edited by warrioraks : 5th April 2023 at 23:52.
Old 5th April 2023, 23:46   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post

PS: Lots of checking on the way. Not sure for what..
Because of the upcoming election.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks