Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 07:03   #511

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Look for hotels between Devanahalli and Hebbal---you can reach those easily within 7 hours from Hyderabad. And start very early next morning so that you can take the shortest route to Mysore through the central business district of Bangalore. If you delay, then traffic in CBD will tire you.

Thanks. A quick look on travel sites suggest Mariott Courtyard (Nagavara) and Country Inn (opposite Lumbini Garden) are near Hebbal. Would staying in any of them help in cutting down detour into the city?
Old 21st December 2018, 08:04   #512
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospass View Post
Thanks. A quick look on travel sites suggest Mariott Courtyard (Nagavara) and Country Inn (opposite Lumbini Garden) are near Hebbal. Would staying in any of them help in cutting down detour into the city?
Both of them require you to take the eastern arc of Bangalore's ORR (the same arc you'd have taken to reach E-City Phase 1), but not very far along it. Since you are consider 4/5 star hotels see if any on NH7 itself or the western arc of ORR between Hebbal & Yeshwantpur is suitable - there are Royal Orchid, Taj Vivanta, Gokulam Grand and perhaps others. Otherwise Courtyard by Marriott is just fine (I'm not sure of the U-turn status along that stretch of ORR though).

Though it might be a bit too late now, given that Christmas/New Year is approaching. So don't let go of the reservation you already have just yet.

If you choose any of these hotels, your way out of Bangalore could be to proceed towards Yeshwantpur on ORR, hop onto Tumkur Road (NH4 - Bangalore-Pune) and look for the exit to NICE Road. Once on NICE road directions in previous post apply. Or go through the CBD areas.
Old 21st December 2018, 10:04   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Since you are consider 4/5 star hotels see if any on NH7 itself or the western arc of ORR between Hebbal & Yeshwantpur is suitable - there are Royal Orchid, Taj Vivanta, Gokulam Grand and perhaps others. Otherwise Courtyard by Marriott is just fine (I'm not sure of the U-turn status along that stretch of ORR though).
There are a lot of Airport transit hotels between Devanahalli and Hebbal. He can even consider one of them. They may not be as luxurious as the star hotels, but would still bet to be comfortable for an overnight stay.
Another one I can think of is the newly opened Attide Boutique Hotel next to the Renault showroom opposite to Jakkur Aerodrome. I do not have any personal experience though. Looks neat from outside.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 21st December 2018 at 10:05.
Old 21st December 2018, 12:51   #514

Thanks binand and sandsun7 for your valuable inputs. I was able to get a good deal with Taj Yeshwanthpur and have opted for that one now.Cancelled lemon tree e city with 100pc refund. Excited for the trip and consider my self lucky to be part of Team-BHP community for having got the right advice at the right time which will now help me and my family have a more comfortable journey.
Old 20th February 2019, 15:51   #515
BHPian

Hi BHPians,
I'm planning to travel to Wayanad the following weekened (1-3 March). I just want to check how are the roads to Vythiri? I'm planning to take this route below. I've been to Wayanad once, maybe in 2012. Roads were nice back then.

Kanakapura road - Sathanur - Halagur - Bannur - Mysore - Nanjanagudu - Gundlupet - Bandipur forest - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Vythiri.

I know about 2 years ago the stretch from Mysore to Gundlupet was being done. But have no idea how that stretch is now.

Anybody who's travelled recently on this stretch, would be great if you can share your road reviews. Thanks!
Old 20th February 2019, 19:32   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikBN View Post
Hi BHPians,
I'm planning to travel to Wayanad the following weekened (1-3 March). I just want to check how are the roads to Vythiri? I'm planning to take this route below. I've been to Wayanad once, maybe in 2012. Roads were nice back then.

Kanakapura road - Sathanur - Halagur - Bannur - Mysore - Nanjanagudu - Gundlupet - Bandipur forest - Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta - Vythiri.

I know about 2 years ago the stretch from Mysore to Gundlupet was being done. But have no idea how that stretch is now.

Anybody who's travelled recently on this stretch, would be great if you can share your road reviews. Thanks!
Gundlepet-Bathery-Vythiri are as good as it can be. No issues at all. If you have not done the route since the road work, you will be surprised.

If you are traveling non peak times, would be better to stick to Mysore Road itself. I think there are a lot of construction activities happening in the Kanakpura stretch.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 00:24   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Gundlepet-Bathery-Vythiri are as good as it can be. No issues at all. If you have not done the route since the road work, you will be surprised.

If you are traveling non peak times, would be better to stick to Mysore Road itself. I think there are a lot of construction activities happening in the Kanakpura stretch.
Hey thanks Rajeev. I stay off Metro cash and carry and planning to leave on Thursday morning by 5ish. That being said the last time I travelled on the Kanakapura road was about 5 months. Would you suggest going to Mysore via Kanakapura or the Maddur - Mandya highway.

Oh i'll really look forward to drive the Gundlupet stretch to be surprised!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st February 2019 at 00:50. Reason: fix quote
Old 21st February 2019, 09:39   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks Rajeev. I stay off Metro cash and carry and planning to leave on Thursday morning by 5ish. That being said the last time I travelled on the Kanakapura road was about 5 months. Would you suggest going to Mysore via Kanakapura or the Maddur - Mandya highway.

Oh i'll really look forward to drive the Gundlupet stretch to be surprised!
For a weekday morning 5 AM start, Maddur-Mandya route would be a better bet. Suggest you to take NICE to join Mysore road.
Also, take left on to Mysore ORR at Columbia asia hospital junction and join Nanjangud road.
As Rajeev said, you are in for a surprise! Breakfast options are limited though after you exit Mysore.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 21st February 2019 at 09:40.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:53   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
For a weekday morning 5 AM start, Maddur-Mandya route would be a better bet. Suggest you to take NICE to join Mysore road.
Also, take left on to Mysore ORR at Columbia asia hospital junction and join Nanjangud road.
As Rajeev said, you are in for a surprise! Breakfast options are limited though after you exit Mysore.
Ok will take your advice, thanks Sandsun! My only concern on the Maddur road was the numerous speed breakers. The last i went to Mysore on that road was about 18 months, it was bad so I took the Kanakapura road on my way back. The road was so smooth that I reached bangalore in only 2 hours with maintaining just 100kmph on an avg.

Yea I remember the breakfast options after Mysore are scarce. I was thinking of Kamat after Mysore ring road.
Old 22nd February 2019, 00:04   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of Kamat after Mysore ring road.
Are you mentioning about Kamat Madhuvan? If so its located near to Mysore palace and won't be enroute if taking ring road. Also, last time I travelled through that route, noticed some renovation happening to hotel. Not sure if its done.
Old 22nd February 2019, 00:46   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Are you mentioning about Kamat Madhuvan? If so its located near to Mysore palace and won't be enroute if taking ring road. Also, last time I travelled through that route, noticed some renovation happening to hotel. Not sure if its done.
Yes Suhas, I was thinking Kamat Madhuvan and I thought it was a decent place for breakfast. And yes its a bit off the route but I guess there is not much option other than Deshell. (I'm a big foodie). Would you have any other suggestions if Madhuvan has been doing some renovation? Thanks
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:54   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok will take your advice, thanks Sandsun! My only concern on the Maddur road was the numerous speed breakers. The last i went to Mysore on that road was about 18 months, it was bad so I took the Kanakapura road on my way back. The road was so smooth that I reached bangalore in only 2 hours with maintaining just 100kmph on an avg.
At present, the Maddur - Mandya route is the best bet in terms of road conditions as well as traffic provided you start early, say by 5AM. There is lot of road work happening on Kanakapura road and would slow you down.
Also, if You are targeting Kamat Madhuvan for breakfast, you will have to go through the city and not Mysore ORR.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 22nd February 2019 at 09:55.
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:01   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
At present, the Maddur - Mandya route is the best bet in terms of road conditions as well as traffic provided you start early, say by 5AM. There is lot of road work happening on Kanakapura road and would slow you down.
Also, if You are targeting Kamat Madhuvan for breakfast, you will have to go through the city and not Mysore ORR.
I will go through the Mandya route itself. I was thinking going through the city itself as I don't see major traffic in Mysore at about 7:30-8:00 in the morning. It's anyway a holiday for me, so I'm ok to enjoy the drive throughout.
Thanks again Sandsun.
Once I'm back will write a detailed review on the road or anything else to watch out for.
KartikBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:27   #524
BHPian

So here's a bit detailed version of my travel to Kerala - from a route/road condition standpoint.

Started on a thursday morning, at about 5:30, from Metro cash and carry off Kanakapura main road. Route I took that morning was

NICE (Kanakapura entry to Mysore road EXIT) - Bidadi-Maddur-Mandya-Mysore ring Road-Gundlupet-Muthanga-Sultan Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri.

NICE(Mysore Junction) to Mysore Ring Road: Since I reached NICE Mysore junction at about 06:00 Hrs (Fueled at SHELL Kanakapura road), there was a bit of traffic till Bidadi, post which it was a breeze and quite empty. Stopped for breakfast at 08:00 Hrs, just before Mysore ring road.
Road Condition: - Not much potholes, only need to watch out for unmarked Speed breakers.

Mysore Ring Road to Gundlupet: Started at about 08:15 Hrs, reached Gundlupet-Ooty-Chamarajanagar Juntion at 09:30 Hrs. Traffic from Mysore ring road exit to Nanjangudu slows you down. 2-wheelers and school timing also.
Road Condition: Some patch work being done from Exit of Mysore ring road to Nanjangudu town. It's a good 4 lane with divider. After Nanjangudu its a well maintained 2 lane road. Very nicely laid. NO issues.

Gundlupet to Sultan Bathery: 09:30 Hrs to about 10:45 Hrs. Once you enter the Berambadi Forest area its quiet and a fresh layer of road is laid. No traffic, but maintained a speed of about 40KMPH till Muthanga Forest area exit.
Road condition Brilliant roads in the Karnataka side until border. Just watch out for numerous speed breakers(which is good in the forest area). Once you enter Kerala roads are a little bad. few potholes here and there but nothing alarming. Its a 2 lane road, well marked too.

Sulthan Bathery to Vythiri: About 10;45 Hrs to about 12:00 Hrs.
Road Condition: Brilliant 2 lane roads with hardly any speed breakers. Dint find a spot of bad road. Good road discipline. Pedestrians in Sultan Bathery and Kalpetta cross the road only in the designated Zebra crossing. Nice feeling one gets driving this stretch. There was not much traffic in Kalpetta hence went through the town, else there is a ring road to bypass the town. Ring road road quality is just ok.

I also did the Vythiri - Calicut beach. Road conditions in the Ghat section is good barring a couple of hair pin bents where cement is being laid or maybe cobble stones. Otherwise the entire 2 hours drive from about 2600 Ft to Sea level is brilliant. It was the second time I was doing that stretch. The previous one was in 2012 and even then the road condition was just as good or even better.

Return we took the same road as we started from Vythiri at about 14:00 Hrs but went through Banasura Dam and then connected a little away from Kalpetta. Roads from Vythiri to Banasura is a small road, enough for 2 LMV to pass. Overall I feel the roads are nicely done.
KartikBN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 08:12   #525
Senior - BHPian

Various Malayalam newspapers are reporting a shootout/standoff this morning between Maoists and officers of the Thunderbolt force of Kerala Police, near a resort in Vythiri (one online portal says it is Upavan Resort & Spa). The national highway is blocked and there is heavy and time consuming police check it seems. If you are driving that way please be aware.

https://english.manoramaonline.com/n...s-wayanad.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks