Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:10   #436
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Hey Guys, I've been planning to visit Wayanad in the next month. Which routes do you suggest and are there very steep stretches ? I ask because I haven't done much of hill driving.
Old 23rd December 2017, 22:06   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabby_4c View Post
Hey Guys, I've been planning to visit Wayanad in the next month. Which routes do you suggest and are there very steep stretches ? I ask because I haven't done much of hill driving.
Where exactly in Waynad, as its a decent sized district? Any where towards Sultan Bathery, Kalpetta and Vythiri then stick to Bangalore- Mysore ring road-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery. Towards Thirunelli, Mananthavadi etc there are options via Hunsur-Nagarahole.
No hill climbs involved like hair pins etc, but you would come across some winding twisty roads which should be easily managed.

Last edited by sansvk : 23rd December 2017 at 22:08.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 23:06   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Where exactly in Waynad, as its a decent sized district? Any where towards Sultan Bathery, Kalpetta and Vythiri then stick to Bangalore- Mysore ring road-Gundlupet-Sultan Bathery. Towards Thirunelli, Mananthavadi etc there are options via Hunsur-Nagarahole.
No hill climbs involved like hair pins etc, but you would come across some winding twisty roads which should be easily managed.
Thanks ! As of now, thinking of the typical Sultan Bathery - Vythiri but I'm open to suggestions for other places that aren't widely known/popular (and not too expensive ). Good to know that there are no steep and narrow hairpins. I actually love driving in twisty roads.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:46   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Chembra peak closure

Those planning Wayand trip do note that Chembra peak is planned to be closed from 15 Jan 2018 to avoid forest fires. No mention about the opening dates, however logically it may happen only after monsoons.
mpksuhas is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 01:45   #440
BHPian

Hello Experts,
We are 2 couples driving down from Electronic City Phase 1 to Kalpetta on 26th January and returning on 28th January. What should I do and which route should I take in order to encounter least traffic and wildlife enroute.
This is my first trip to Wayanad so tips please.
We have our 2 infants with us and our vehicle is a Grand i10.
Is there any risk of wildlife there ??
Old 14th January 2018, 07:43   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
From the route perspective, since you are driving on a Friday, Mysore road should be fine, but would suggest taking kanakpura road while returning as Mysore road would have too much traffic.

No risk of wildlife per se but you may definitely encounter wild elephants after crossing Mysore. The karnataka-kerala border is all forest area. Also, I think the forest routes have timings and are closed at night - so you might need to crossover before 6pm or so (pleas confirm timings as I am not very sure).

Roads in Wayanad are good but there may be some stretches which are quite steep - however nothing than an i10 can't handle. Just need to be a little careful that's all.

EDIT: realised Jan 26th is a friday and may have quite a lot of traffic. Would suggest to check Google maps and see whether Mysore road is better or Kananapura road. Mysore road would have more breakfast-lunch options and is 4 lane while Kananapura road is 2 lane in most places and would have lesser eateries.

Last edited by deep_bang : 14th January 2018 at 07:45.
Old 14th January 2018, 08:03   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIL2_HGi10 View Post
Hello Experts,
We are 2 couples driving down from Electronic City Phase 1 to Kalpetta on 26th January and returning on 28th January. What should I do and which route should I take in order to encounter least traffic and wildlife enroute.
The only open on the route is Bangalore Mysore. If you think you can leave early- say around 5, the regular Mysore route should be good enough. The other option is kanakpura -bannur -mysore. Downside is that it is 2 lane and you don't have any decent places to stop for breaks. When returning , try to hit Mysore before 2-3pm.

From Mysore the route is straightforward. Nanjangud-gundlepet-bathery-kalpetta. Google would recommend this by default. Road conditions are very good. A little twisty once you enter Kerala, but nothing major. It should take around 6 -6.5 hrs driving time to Kalpetta depending on where you start from and assuming you start early.

Nothing to worry about wildlife. Sightings near the highway in the forest are pretty rare. If you are lucky you may see some deers and monkeys. Occasionally an elephant. Key point is do not stop inside the forest and try to take pictures even if you see some wildlife.

Enjoy your trip!
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 22:02   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The only open on the route is Bangalore Mysore. If you think you can leave early- say around 5, the regular Mysore route should be good enough. The other option is kanakpura -bannur -mysore. Downside is that it is 2 lane and you don't have any decent places to stop for breaks. When returning , try to hit Mysore before 2-3pm.

From Mysore the route is straightforward. Nanjangud-gundlepet-bathery-kalpetta. Google would recommend this by default. Road conditions are very good. A little twisty once you enter Kerala, but nothing major. It should take around 6 -6.5 hrs driving time to Kalpetta depending on where you start from and assuming you start early.

Nothing to worry about wildlife. Sightings near the highway in the forest are pretty rare. If you are lucky you may see some deers and monkeys. Occasionally an elephant. Key point is do not stop inside the forest and try to take pictures even if you see some wildlife.

Enjoy your trip!
Hi ! I am travelling through this route tomorrow. I was planning to leave around 7-7.30am from Silkboard. But going by the comments here, looks like I would face heavy Mysore traffic. Should I start after 9.30-10am so that most of the traffic would already be on the way ? I went to Talakadu via kanakpura road a few weeks ago and I do not intend to take that road due to bad patches and road widening stretches.
Old 25th January 2018, 22:09   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ! I am travelling through this route tomorrow. I was planning to leave around 7-7.30am from Silkboard. But going by the comments here, looks like I would face heavy Mysore traffic. Should I start after 9.30-10am so that most of the traffic would already be on the way ? I went to Talakadu via kanakpura road a few weeks ago and I do not intend to take that road due to bad patches and road widening stretches.
7-7.30 is going to be pretty bad. I don't think 9.30-10 would make it much better. If starting at 7, would recommend Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore Ring Road and on to Wayanad. Better to encounter the widening and some bad patches as opposed to the crazy traffic on Mysore Road.
Old 25th January 2018, 22:42   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
7-7.30 is going to be pretty bad. I don't think 9.30-10 would make it much better. If starting at 7, would recommend Kanakpura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore Ring Road and on to Wayanad. Better to encounter the widening and some bad patches as opposed to the crazy traffic on Mysore Road.
Thanks ! I am travelling with my parents so starting very early is not possible. I haven't traveled on the Mysore Road since 3-4 years so would take your word for it regarding the traffic. Is there any place to have decent lunch after Mysore or should I have an early lunch there and continue towards Sultan Bathery ?
Old 25th January 2018, 23:10   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ! I am travelling with my parents so starting very early is not possible. I haven't traveled on the Mysore Road since 3-4 years so would take your word for it regarding the traffic. Is there any place to have decent lunch after Mysore or should I have an early lunch there and continue towards Sultan Bathery ?
Nothing great after Mysore. There are a few at Gundlepet but food quality is average. In bathery you have mintflower, jubilee, winton. All pretty good.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:00   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore - Wayanad (Chundale) update

Had planned a weekend trip to Chembra peak last month, however after we finalized the dates and did the booking around Jan mid forest department decided to close the peak till next season due to risk of forest fire.

Since its a small drive from Bangalore and also since rooms were already booked decided to continue with the plan and make it a relaxed weekend outing.

Onward:

Friday 02 Feb: Started from HSR around 3.45 PM, took NICE to Kanakpura road and proceeded via Mallavalli - Bannur - Mysore ring road.

There is road widening work ongoing at some sections between Kanakpura and Mallavalli. Was driving slow since there was 7 people on board, reached CCD Gundlupet around 07:40 PM and stopped for around half hour.

Started again from there to stop at Wilton Sultan Batherry for dinner. There was very less traffic between Batherry and Chundale when we started after dinner around 10:15 PM.

Had booked at Hibernest Chembra (not to be confused with their other property in Kalpetta) for two nights.

This is a 3 bedroom cottage beautifully maintained with tasteful interiors. However, the place is mostly targeted for backpackers, hence they have 4 bunk beds in each room. At around Rs 670 per bed, its a value for money option incase anyone wants to have an overnight stay before trek to Chembra.

Return was on Sunday 04-Feb.

Started after a late lunch and snacks shopping from Batherry around 03:30 PM, reached Mysore outer ring road - Bannur road junction around 05:30 PM and stopped for tea.

There was considerable traffic between Mallavalli & Kanakpura and heavy traffic between Kanakapura and NICE road junction.

With another stop of around 30 mins, reached HSR around 08:45 PM.
mpksuhas is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2018, 14:51   #448
Senior - BHPian

How good is it to visit Wayanad during summer: 28th April till 1st May? This is a long weekend(If we consider Monday as holiday) and kids in their summer vacation would be ideal for family trip.
Planning to start as early as possible 3-4AM from Bangalore to avoid the traffic and reach the destination by afternoon.
Old 7th February 2018, 15:11   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How good is it to visit Wayanad during summer: 28th April till 1st May? This is a long weekend(If we consider Monday as holiday) and kids in their summer vacation would be ideal for family trip.
Planning to start as early as possible 3-4AM from Bangalore to avoid the traffic and reach the destination by afternoon.
Should be good; Wayanad in summer is between pleasant and warm to occasionally hot. Resorts etc. will be crowded though, so plan and book soon.

A 3 AM start will have you at your chosen destination in Wayanad for a late breakfast/brunch (9-11 AM) depending on your driving style and constraints. Kalpetta is about 300 km from Bangalore.
Old 7th February 2018, 15:22   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
It will be hot during day, also personally I feel hill stations looks best soon after rains (~AUG to Oct).

That said, as binand mentioned with a 03:00 AM start you will reach Wayanad for breakfast. Have you finalized your place of stay and your itenary? Based on that it will be possible to get a better idea.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks