Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2016, 13:05   #346

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchmeifuwant View Post
Hello,
I will be doing Bangalore - Wayanad (Alattil) over the Christmas weekend.

Appreciate pointers from recent travellers.
Hello,

This is the update on road condition from Bangalore to Alattil Wayanad (OxyFarm resorts) as on 25-Dec-2016.

Route taken :

Onward journey
Bangalore (BG Road) --> NICE road --> Mysore road (NH 235) till Srirangapatna -->Mysore ring road --> HD Kote (SH 33) --> Kattikulam (SH 33) --> Mananthavady --> Boys Town --> Periya --> Alattil (SH 59)

Return journey
Alattil (SH 59) --> Periya --> Boys Town --> Mananthavady -->Kattikulam --> HD Kote --> Mysore ring road --> Bannur --> Malavalli --> Kanakapura --> NICE road --> Bangalore (BG road)

Road condition:

Bangalore to Mysore
Good roads, even though we left BG road at 5:15am, we faced heavy traffic till Chanapatna. Excellent 4 lane highway till Mysore & 6 lane ring road around Mysore till you join HD Kote road

Mysore to HD Kote
2 lane State highway. Good condition

HD Kote to Bavali
2 lane State highway. Karnataka side of the highway is generally in good condition. Watch out for the unpainted speed breakers and rumble strips though when driving through the forest. Not too much of an issue, if you are sticking to the speed restrictions (30 KMPH). If not keep your eyes open for those nasty surprises

Bavali to Manathavady to Alattil
2 lane state highway. Generally in good condition, but watch out for lots of potholes. Some are bad potholes to navigate

Side note: Kanakapura road on return was a pleasure to drive through. 2 lane state highway, but turf is in good condition and traffic is considerably lesser than mysore road. Few patches through the towns are being widened and causes a few minutes of bottle neck. Otherwise, it was a good experience
catchmeifuwant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 19:46   #347
BHPian

Re: Bangalore-Wayanad: Route queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Roads are fine on these routes. Drive Safe! and do share your updates after the trip
I came back today after a very good trip. Really appreciate the invaluable inputs from the experts here !!! Started at 4.30 am on 24th morning (Saturday), took the Mysore route following Google maps all the way. Came back the same route today. The roads were good throughout.

Really appreciate the invaluable inputs from the experts here !!! Thank you for the excellent work that you guys do to help out guys like us who have very little knowledge of the local language, terrain, and the routes to be taken
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 17:13   #348
BHPian

I am back from a 4-day trip to Wayanad.

Bangalore(E.City)-->NICE RD --> Mysore RingRD --> Nanajangode --> Gundlupete --> Muthanga --> Sulthan Bathery --> Kalpetta --> Vythiri.

Started at 9AM from Bangalore and reached Muthanga by 2:30PM and then Vythiri by 5PM with two breaks(appr.1:30hr) for Breakfast and lunch and Couple of short stopovers in between.

Roads are Good. Less Traffic after Mysore.

20Kms stretch of forest is cool not much vehicle movement. Full forest is dry no greenery until we cross karnataka border.

No animals spotted during Onwards Journey except Monkeys.

Stopped to take the safari at Muthunga but didn't take safari as the staff there said that the animal sightings are less recently

Same route for Return Journey has well.
Return journey spotted many deers and one Elephant.

Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread..
Old 30th March 2017, 13:47   #349
Senior - BHPian

I'm considering doing Vellore - Wayanad and back in April. The route will take me through Bangalore.
How long should I set for driving time? Vellore to Bangalore is 3 hours and I'll leave Vellore before 5 am.
Also is there any good place enroute or with a slight detour where I can break the journey for some sightseeing and overnight stay?
Old 30th March 2017, 14:22   #350
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm considering doing Vellore - Wayanad and back in April. The route will take me through Bangalore.
Better to bypass Bangalore by taking NICE Road and exiting at Mysore Road or Kanakapura Road.

Where in Wayanad are you heading to ?

If going to Sulthan Bathery/Kalpetta/Vythiri one can take the Gundlupet route via Mysore-Nanjangud or Kanakapura-Kollegal-Chamarajanagar.
These routes can take 4.5 to 5 hours to reach Gundlupet from Bangalore outskirts, in your case NICE Road-Hosur Road junction.

At Gundlupet, you need to turn right towards Muthanga forest that goes to Sulthan Bathery (straight goes to Mudumalai/Masinagudi/Ooty).

*If you're going towards Mananthavady side of Wayanad, then better to stick to Mysore Road route (avoid Kanakapura road in that case).

Last edited by NPV : 30th March 2017 at 14:23.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 16:08   #351
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info on the routes. I may be staying at Sharpy or Petals.
Do you have any recommendations on breaking the journey for a days halt. I was considering the Mysore zoo and overnight halt, but it may be too hot for the zoo.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:28   #352
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on breaking the journey for a days halt.
You can stay at Bandipur at Jungle Lodges and go on a safari (this is on the Ooty route and not too much of a detour from the Sulthan Bathery turn off).
Alternate may be to stay as Masinagudi little bit further inside and then go on a safari. Check on safari timings (usually early mornings 6am and evenings around 4pm, but do check this).

The safari(s) will be much better than a full day out visiting the Zoo.

*I think Jungle Lodges pricing is inclusive of safaris.

Last edited by NPV : 30th March 2017 at 16:30.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 07:19   #353
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip. I was considering this area for a detour, but was unsure. Looks like a great option from what you're saying.
Jungle lodges appears expensive, I'll call them and see if we can waiver the half charge for my child.
Old 31st March 2017, 09:38   #354
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jungle lodges appears expensive, I'll call them and see if we can waiver the half charge for my child.
You may also want to try one of the resort at Masinagudi and take the safari from the Bandipur karnataka forest department safari point but I'm not sure if this is also operated by jungle lodges (that's how it is in K Gudi for example).
Old 31st March 2017, 15:34   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You may also want to try one of the resort at Masinagudi and take the safari from the Bandipur karnataka forest department safari point but I'm not sure if this is also operated by jungle lodges (that's how it is in K Gudi for example).
https://www.bandipurnationalpark.in/...fe-safari.html

Bandipur safari operated by Karnataka Forest Department is avialable which is Rs 300 per person for the first safari and Rs 150 for subsequent safaris. This is because Rs 150 (or was it Rs 200? - then it is 100 for next ride) is Forest entry fee and payment is valid for 1 day.
Old 5th April 2017, 18:51   #356
BHPian

Planning to book rooms for my long weekend trip starting 14 April in Wayanad. Checked with Sharoy and its full Vythiri Village has rooms. most of the resorts looks expensive but dont see any alternates. any suggestions please?
Old 5th April 2017, 19:34   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
Planning to book rooms for my long weekend trip starting 14 April in Wayanad.
That is both Vishu and Easter weekend. Best if you book early. Available inventory will be gone very quickly.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 15:53   #358
BHPian

I booked at petals resort for 2 days. Any suggestions on places I can visit from there.
Old 6th April 2017, 17:16   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinukm View Post
I booked at petals resort for 2 days. Any suggestions on places I can visit from there.
Banasura dam & Pookode lake are nearby.

May you can cover Kuruva Island during onward journey and Edakal caves during return journey. But be sure to encounter heavy rush due to holidays at all places.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 17:22   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Banasura dam & Pookode lake are nearby.

May you can cover Kuruva Island during onward journey and Edakal caves during return journey. But be sure to encounter heavy rush due to holidays at all places.
Thanks. I booked for 12 & 13 April one day before the holidays start hoping that it will be less crowded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks