Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2018, 22:19   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vint View Post
I'm looking at some resorts in sultan batery/vythiri areas
Apart from rains which you mentioned that you are OK with, there is nothing to be concerned about around Sultan Bathery & Vythiri area.

The landslide and blockage is happening past this in Thamaraserry ghats. That section is not in Wayanad, but in Calicut district.

Also, in general resorts in Wayanad are not on steep hills as compared to some other tourist locations (Shimla for example). Hence you don't need to worry about landslide at the resort. I guess that was your query.

For stay options, you can find reviews in Wayanad stay thread.

Do note that this is an off peak time, hence you can negotiate for good rate.

Since you are from Bangalore, try Windflower resort too. They have tieup with many corporates and hence will be keen on giving discount.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 20:22   #482
BHPian

Hi! On the way from Gundlupet to Wayanad, there are vast swathes of Marigold farms on both sides of the road.

Are these in full bloom right now? Would appreciate if anyone recently traveled by this route can share details.

Planning to drive down tomorrow from BLR if the views are worth.

Thanks in advance.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 23:52   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Are these in full bloom right now? Would appreciate if anyone recently traveled by this route can share details.
It's bit early for the same. You will be able to view the same after about a month till Aug end.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 07:15   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi! On the way from Gundlupet to Wayanad, there are vast swathes of Marigold farms on both sides of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
It's bit early for the same. You will be able to view the same after about a month till Aug end.
There were a lot of Sunflower farms in full bloom when I passed by a couple of weeks ago. Was quite a sight.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 08:38   #485
Senior - BHPian

Looking for suggestions:

Planning a family trip (4 adults) to wayanad in a couple of weeks(2 nights,3 days) from Bangalore, hence looking for leads. No trekking plans as parents would be joining us. Other than that what are the must-see/visit spots? Which place would be good for accommodation (resort maybe) that would be close to most of the tourity spots?

Secondly is it doable in Estilo with 4 people and minimal luggage ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th June 2018 at 08:44.
Old 28th June 2018, 09:49   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Other than that what are the must-see/visit spots? Which place would be good for accommodation (resort maybe) that would be close to most of the tourity spots?
A quick search on Google threw up this list: https://www.trawell.in/kerala/wayana...t-things-to-do

In general most people seem to pick resorts in and around Vythiri. Wayanad is a relatively small district; the touristy places can all be reached within an hour's drive. For good communing with nature pick places away from the middle of the district, though (the central areas like Kalpetta-Bathery, Kalpetta-Mananthavady are all quite built up concrete jungles).

Edit: A second option would be resorts/homestays along the Mananthavady-Bathery stretch. A lot of positive reviews online and via F&F circles.

Quote:
Secondly is it doable in Estilo with 4 people and minimal luggage ?
From Bangalore till Kalpetta it is about 300 km of reasonably flat drive; the elevation drops steeply only beyond Vythiri towards Calicut (about 900m in 12 km). I have done Bangalore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kochi in my father-in-law's Estilo with no problems (although I was alone).

Last edited by binand : 28th June 2018 at 09:53.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 11:59   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In general most people seem to pick resorts in and around Vythiri.
Yeah I am eyeing Vythiri as well for some resort stay. Any recommendations with tea garden view?

Quote:
From Bangalore till Kalpetta it is about 300 km of reasonably flat drive; the elevation drops steeply only beyond Vythiri towards Calicut (about 900m in 12 km). I have done Bangalore-Gudalur-Nilambur-Kochi in my father-in-law's Estilo with no problems (although I was alone).
Thanks. That's reassuring. Only doubt for Estilo is with the potholes as the GC gets a little lesser with 4 on-board. Second option is to get a zoomcar(Ecosport and likes), but am more comfortable driving my own vehicle than an unknown one. So preference is to take the Estilo itself.

Its supposed to be a relaxed trip with a couple of senior citizens hence these are the places I shortlisted :

1. Pookote Lake
2. Lakkidi View Point
3. Soochipara Waterfalls
4. Edakkal Caves
5. Banasura sagar dam
6. Visit Bandipur national park safari while returning.

Are these doable in 2 nights, 3 days or am I missing something?

Is kalpetta town good enough if ladies decide to have some local shopping & maybe for dinner?

I intend to start Saturday early morning and return by Monday evening(8-9PMish)

Thanks in advance
SoumenD
Old 28th June 2018, 12:13   #488
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Yeah I am eyeing Vythiri as well for some resort stay. Any recommendations with tea garden view?
Hi Soumen. I have a Home in Wayanad though basically from Bangalore. I travelled from Bangalore only yesterday. All the places you mentioned is doable in 2 nights and 3 days.But it is pouring Rain here.
However Bandipur, you will get to see the animals only if you are lucky.

For shopping in kalpetta, there is a big textile showroom called " Sindhur" Amazing collection and very decent bargain rates. Try all 4 floors. Travel via Kanakapura, Malavalli, Bannur Nanjangud and than to Gundlupet, enter Sultanbathey. There is a new Hotel "Bramha' just before you enter the town on your left.Good Kerala Veg food @ 70 INR. A real surprise for Bangaloreans.

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2018 at 08:25. Reason: Compacted quoted post
sumukha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 12:15   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Pookote Lake
[etc.]
I think this list is fine for a 2-day relaxed visit.

Quote:
This safari is from Bandipur which is between Gundlupet & Gudalur. I think it operates only for a couple of hours early in the morning; and the location is about 100 km from Vythiri. Which means that you might not be able to make it (night drive ban etc. also need to be factored in).

There are safaris operating at Nagarhole as well. I suggest calling up your resort beforehand and getting advice on which safari is doable.

Quote:
Is kalpetta town good enough if ladies decide to have some local shopping & maybe for dinner?
If you are looking for trinkets/souvenirs, there are stores all throughout Wayanad. Kalpetta definitely has some good restaurants. I have heard great reviews about this one: https://goo.gl/maps/digfwQRrvjz
Old 28th June 2018, 12:26   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
However Bandipur, you will get to see the animals only if you are lucky.
Quote:
... I think it operates only for a couple of hours early in the morning; and the location is about 100 km from Vythiri. Which means that you might not be able to make it (night drive ban etc. also need to be factored in).
There used to be one in the afternoon 2PMish. I did that back in 2012 and did spot a tiger The night drive ban is after 6PM, I guess we can get out by then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
.....But it is pouring Rain here.
Oh Damn!!! I totally overlooked this point. Thanks for reminding. If it rains heavily, that would be a bummer

Will keep an eye on the weather forecast before starting.

Last edited by SoumenD : 28th June 2018 at 12:30.
Old 28th June 2018, 14:17   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There used to be one in the afternoon 2PMish. I did that back in 2012 and did spot a tiger The night drive ban is after 6PM, I guess we can get out by then?
Don't know about the afternoon one. The morning ones are all in the 6.30-8.30 AM time slot; but the various border closings open only at 6 AM - so you might not reach in time to book a safari.
Old 28th June 2018, 14:45   #492
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its supposed to be a relaxed trip with a couple of senior citizens hence these are the places I shortlisted :

1. Pookote Lake
2. Lakkidi View Point
3. Soochipara Waterfalls
4. Edakkal Caves
5. Banasura sagar dam
Look out for rain, if it pours down, there's not much outdoor sightseeing you can do, just relax in the resort and enjoy the break.

Edakkal caves and Soochipara waterfall need a good amount of walking, may be difficult for senior citizens. Do check on days & timings for Edakkal.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 19:09   #493
BHPian

Quote:
The evening safari is from 3:30 PM onwards. You can check http://bandipurtigerreserve.in/ for more details. There seems to be an online booking option too - not used it; so can't comment on that. The night drive ban is from 9PM; so you should be good.

You can also consider Muthanga safari if you wish to - this again has a morning and evening safari.
sajidclt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 08:04   #494
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Look out for rain, if it pours down, there's not much outdoor sightseeing you can do, just relax in the resort and enjoy the break.

Edakkal caves and Soochipara waterfall need a good amount of walking, may be difficult for senior citizens. Do check on days & timings for Edakkal.
Been to edakkal yesterday. The climb is very slippery. Not advisable due to rains. If you are interested in visiting the temples, I recommend Thirunelli temple which is 20 kms from Tholpatti, the border. The drive and the location is very soothing and beautiful. The temple is on the hills, check for the opening time in the internet. Instead of Muthunga, you can try your luck in Tholpatty sanctuary enroute to Thirunelli. BTW its raining the whole day and night.
sumukha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2018, 10:01   #495
BHPian

This was several years ago, but people with high-GC vehicles were being allowed to drive into the forest in Tholpatti (probably via bribing).

And I second the Thirunelli temple as worth visiting; when I was there, there were 2 huge flowering trees (sampige is the Kannada word), still there?

Wayanad doesn't have any compelling spots as such, so you could give Pooketa lake a miss. Immediately past Wayanad, the view of the 900m-descent-in-12km valley road is magnificent . I haven't yet been to it, but the fort in Sultanbathery might also be good.

Finally, I had heard of cottages near Thirunelli (again, several years ago). Might be worth a stay if they are around.

Enjoy unwinding!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks