Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 17:57   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Correction. I meant Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegal-Yellandur-Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet-Bathery (the standard route to Wayanad).
As reported elsewhere, Malavalli -T. Narasipura-Ch. Nagar is nowadays preferred because it avoids the Sivanasamudram bridge and the narrow village roads in and around Yelandur.
Old 18th April 2017, 00:04   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
... If you can start a bit earlier you'll beat the worst of it I imagine ... I think if you can manage to be on BM Road by 3 PM you will be fine ... The RTO checkpost is in Kattikulam ...
Thanks for the suggestions Binand!

Does anyone know which might be a better beach closer to Wayanad? I'm planning to spend the first day evening watching sunset.
Old 18th April 2017, 06:36   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurupalani View Post
Does anyone know which might be a better beach closer to Wayanad?
For Kalpetta, that would be Calicut. On a Saturday afternoon it is about 2.5 hours away. The main Calicut beach is quite well-maintained and has a variety of food and recreation options, and then there are many smaller beaches to the north (Varakkal, Kamburam, Parapally, Kappad...) in various states of "touristability", most accessible by a short (0.5 km) drive off the NH 17.

Edit: Sorry, forgot you are staying at Mananthavady. For you the beaches along the Thalassery-Kannur stretch might be closer. Calicut will be about 3 hours away.

Last edited by binand : 18th April 2017 at 06:40.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 12:22   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions Binand!

Does anyone know which might be a better beach closer to Wayanad? I'm planning to spend the first day evening watching sunset.
As binand mentioned, the Telicherry-Kannur area has plenty of beautiful beaches. The lovely Muzhappilangad drive in Beach, the only drive in beach in South India is around 2.5 hours drive time away. Also, there is the Payyambalam beach, Edakkad beach, Chal/Meenkunnu beach all around in 15-20 kms radius of Kannur. But do give a second thought to this plan, because you will have to drive back up the ghats after dark if you plan to watch sunset at Kannur and return to Mananthavady for the night.
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 00:04   #380
BHPian

Quote:
For you the beaches along the Thalassery-Kannur stretch might be closer. Calicut will be about 3 hours away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
But do give a second thought to this plan, because you will have to drive back up the ghats after dark if you plan to watch sunset at Kannur and return to Mananthavady for the night.
I came to know about Muzhappilangad drive in beach yesterday via google. I was strongly inclined to visit there until now. Yes, driving back up the ghats after dark is probably a problem. May be I'll take your suggestion and reconsider.
But, how is the road condition between Mananthavady and Thalassery? Has anyone taken that road recently? This will be my first visit to Kerala and I have no idea how good are the roads there.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:51   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came to know about Muzhappilangad drive in beach yesterday via google. I was strongly inclined to visit there until now. Yes, driving back up the ghats after dark is probably a problem. May be I'll take your suggestion and reconsider.
But, how is the road condition between Mananthavady and Thalassery? Has anyone taken that road recently? This will be my first visit to Kerala and I have no idea how good are the roads there.
Road expansion work is going on between Telicherry and Kuthuparamba on the Telicherry Mananthavady stretch.
From Muzhappilangad, unless you have plans to taste the yummy Telicherry Biriyani at Paris Residency Telicherry, rather than going towards Telicherry, it would be better to come up to Chala junction towards Kannur on NH and then turn on to Kuthuparamba road and proceed to Mananthavady from there. The Kannur-Kuthuparamba-Periya ghats-Mananthavady road is in good condition.

Google maps link here: https://goo.gl/noQYw2

Road surface would be good consistently, but driving in Kerala can tire you out easily due to the heavy traffic and the relatively narrow width of the roads. Have to be patient on most of the roads as you may get stuck behind heavy vehicles, unable to overtake due to constant oncoming traffic. Expect lot of Jaywalking too. Wayanad is less of a problem though. Relatively lesser crowded compared to the coastal districts like Kannur, Kozhikode, Malappuram etc.
Old 19th April 2017, 23:58   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Google maps link here: https://goo.gl/noQYw2
Thank you for the suggestion Sandsun7. I'm also thinking if I should avoid sunset (thereby avoiding night driving in ghats) and visit there during the day. I'll probably make a decision the day before leaving from Bangalore.
As of now I just hope to make enough memories to post a travellogue here.
Old 1st June 2017, 17:59   #383
BHPian

I have a trip planned for Sharoy, wayanad for tomorrow. Which route is good?
Bengaluru-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady
Bengaluru-Mysore-HD Kote (Handpost)-Kattikulam-Mananthavady

Any places near to kattikulam or Mananthavady for good lunch.

Last edited by Dhanu@DJ : 1st June 2017 at 18:04.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:17   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhanu@DJ View Post
I have a trip planned for Sharoy, wayanad for tomorrow. Which route is good?
Bengaluru-Mysore-Hunsur-Nagarhole Kutta-Kattikulam-Mananthavady
Bengaluru-Mysore-HD Kote (Handpost)-Kattikulam-Mananthavady

Any places near to kattikulam or Mananthavady for good lunch.
If you insist on going through Mananthavady, then route 2 is shorter and hence better.

Looking at Google Maps, the resort seems to be on the Vythiri-Tharuvana road, so perhaps Mysore-Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta and then your resort might be even better. Similar distance, but excellent roads and great savings in time. There are several good restaurants between Bathery and Kalpetta.

If you insist on going through Mananthavady then both Holiday Hill at Kattikulam and Brahmagiri at Mananthavady could be options for lunch.
Old 5th June 2017, 10:54   #385
BHPian

Quote:
If you insist on going through Mananthavady, then route 2 is shorter and hence better.

Looking at Google Maps, the resort seems to be on the Vythiri-Tharuvana road, so perhaps Mysore-Gundlupet-Bathery-Kalpetta and then your resort might be even better. Similar distance, but excellent roads and great savings in time. There are several good restaurants between Bathery and Kalpetta.

If you insist on going through Mananthavady then both Holiday Hill at Kattikulam and Brahmagiri at Mananthavady could be options for lunch.
Thanks for the information. I went via nagarhole-Kutta- Kattikulam-mananthavady and returned via Kalpetta-Bathery-Gundleupet-Mysore route. Both routes are good and almost equal distance.

While Nagarahole route is more scenic and had lot more wildlife sightings along with less number of speed breakers with almost nil traffic. Bathery-Gundalpet route as lot of speed breakers; almost like every 200 meters and in some stretches like every 100 meters with bit more traffic.

Had lunch at Brahmagiri(average or below average place). May be ICH few meters further-on the same stretch is a better option. This being Ramdan month most of the hotels are closed during lunch time. So food options are very limited.
Old 15th June 2017, 22:33   #386
Senior - BHPian

We are planning for a family trip to Wayanad during this month end. Our hotel is located near Sulthan Bathery. Please suggest route options and good places for having breakfast/lunch. We will start our journey from Old Airport Road.

Last edited by airbus : 15th June 2017 at 22:36.
Old 15th June 2017, 22:48   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
We are planning for a family trip to Wayanad during this month end. Our hotel is located near Sulthan Bathery. Please suggest route options and good places for having breakfast/lunch. We will start our journey from Old Airport Road.
No confusion. Hit Mysore road using the best route based on your start time. At Columbia Asia signal at Mysore take the left turn to Mysore Ring Road. Turn left again onto NH 212 (Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet road). At Gundlupet just beyond the town limits turn right towards Calicut. Cross the forest zone to arrive at Sulthan Bathery. It will be about 260 km totally (depends based on where you are going).
Old 15th June 2017, 22:55   #388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Planning to visit wayanad during April end. Have shortlisted the following resorts.
1. Wayanad Silver Woods
2. Green Gates Hotel
3. Wayanad Cybele Hill Resort
Any feedback on which of the above is good?
Please suggest if there are any other good resorts that you would recommend
Akhil,
Where did you end up staying? Any feedback on these places in terms of location and amenities?

I am planning a trip to Waynad with 2 teenagers, trying my best to limit their complaints/nagging. I am planning on getting a self drive car rental as well.
-P
Old 15th June 2017, 23:35   #389
BHPian

I stayed at cybele Hill resort. Though the location was fantastic, the bamboo cottage we opted for was pathetic. They claim it's a premium offering but had a forgettable experience.
I had stayed at marmalade springs when I went there last year and it was way better. Suggest you look at that.
Green gates is almost inside town as I saw while passing by. Teenagers might get restless since these places are just to relax and enjoy. There is no Internet and sometimes no mobile signal as well. Good for nature trails and lazing around during the day.
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 00:00   #390
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
I stayed at cybele Hill resort. Though the location was fantastic, the bamboo cottage we opted for was pathetic. They claim it's a premium offering but had a forgettable experience.
I had stayed at marmalade springs when I went there last year and it was way better. Suggest you look at that.
Green gates is almost inside town as I saw while passing by. Teenagers might get restless since these places are just to relax and enjoy. There is no Internet and sometimes no mobile signal as well. Good for nature trails and lazing around during the day.
Thanks for your response. Is the bamboo cottage same as the Tree house?
I am looking for a decent size pool, ping pong, & hiking trails for photography. I liked what I see on the Banasura Hill resort website. Any first hand reviews would be much appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks