Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2018, 11:53   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Wayanad: Route & Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Wanted to know if Nijaguna Resort at Gundlupete is open for outsiders for lunch? Looking at this as a stopover for lunch while travelling from Bangalore to Vythiri.

If not, then are there other options at Gundlupet?
They have a restaurant up front that is open for all. But would recommend against it. It generally feels unclean and food is also average. Comparatively, the Hotel Misty Rock next to it is a better choice.

Would suggest driving on to Bathery where you have many more and better options.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 17:49   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know if Nijaguna Resort at Gundlupete is open for outsiders for lunch? Looking at this as a stopover for lunch while travelling from Bangalore to Vythiri.
Second what Rajeev mentioned.
Do consider this as your last resort. I had stopped over here last year for lunch, food as such was fine. However, the place looked dirty with flies and overflowing restrooms.

Would suggest Bathery ~ 1 hour drive for lunch.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 18:16   #468
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If not, then are there other options at Gundlupet?
The restaurant at Nijaguna is open to walk-in customers. However, I've found that food is average and prices tad on higher side, but service is slow. Main advantage was the access to decent rest rooms especially when traveling with family. But, as Suhas mentioned it can get crowded and then you don't really benefit much.
You can stop at Bathery, some restaurants like Kalpaka, Jubilee, Wilton are good.
As Rajeev mentioned, there is a De Shell restaurant inside hotel Misty Rock on the gundlupet main road just before the Chamarajanagar road junction and is almost opposite to coffee day. This place was decent when we stopped last time.

If you're driving from Nanjanagud towards Gundlupet you will see this place on right side. If you drive via Chamarajanagar, when you merge onto the Nanjangud-Gundlupet road you have to turn right towards the Mysore direction for about 1 km to reach this place.

Last edited by NPV : 21st March 2018 at 18:20.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 09:18   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But would recommend against it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However, the place looked dirty with flies and overflowing restrooms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
But, as Suhas mentioned it can get crowded and then you don't really benefit much.
Appreciate the feedback, gentlemen. Will explore other possibilities and/or look at tweaking start time from Bangalore to hit either Mysore or Bathery by lunch time. Since we will be travelling with kids do not want to take any chances on cleanliness.
Old 23rd March 2018, 16:55   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
There have been several cases of armed robbery/dacoity in this route; often targeting the late night/overnight travellers. I would say totally avoid.

Here is the most recent one that got significant coverage in Kerala press:

https://starofmysore.com/kerala-yout...ghway-robbers/
There is a report in today's Malayala Manorama newspaper about a dacoit gang operating regularly in Srirnagapatna - Yelwala road and also on Hunsur side. They come armed and masked on bikes and targets the night interstate buses to Kerala.

Its reported that police is ignoring these incidents for quite sometime.

Please be careful on these roads during the night.

Last edited by gadadhar : 23rd March 2018 at 16:56.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 20:54   #471
Senior - BHPian

Folks, i am staying at a resort called Banasura Hill Resort for the good friday weekend and driving from Bangalore. To avoid mysore road traffic I am thinking of taking Kanakpura road and as per gmaps from Mysore to the resort highway 33 via Hampapura is the shortest route. Any idea whats the state of the highway 33 in terms of road conditions?
Old 29th March 2018, 21:20   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, i am staying at a resort called Banasura Hill Resort for the good friday weekend and driving from Bangalore. To avoid mysore road traffic I am thinking of taking Kanakpura road and as per gmaps from Mysore to the resort highway 33 via Hampapura is the shortest route. Any idea whats the state of the highway 33 in terms of road conditions?
You should mention where this resort is. If it is where google maps is showing (between Tharuvana and Makkiyad) the both NH212 and SH33 routes should be OK (former could be about 20-30 km longer). NH212 route is is excellent condition. SH33 last time I went had some bad patches once you enter Kerala.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 22:18   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should mention where this resort is. If it is where google maps is showing (between Tharuvana and Makkiyad) the both NH212 and SH33 routes should be OK (former could be about 20-30 km longer). NH212 route is is excellent condition. SH33 last time I went had some bad patches once you enter Kerala.
As per website the resort is in Vellamunda area. Its supposedly in the middle of no where at the foot hills. I am too hoping the gmaps location is correct

Can you tell me the route for NH212, I couldn't find NH212 in maps. I have taken the Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta route in the past but not sure about other routes.
Old 29th March 2018, 22:33   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me the route for NH212, I couldn't find NH212 in maps. I have taken the Sulthan Bathery - Kalpetta route in the past but not sure about other routes.
That is NH 212. It has a new number (766?) but I sometimes still call it by the old one.
Old 1st April 2018, 22:41   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is NH 212. It has a new number (766?) but I sometimes still call it by the old one.
So just got back from weekend trip to Wayanad. Was in the Vellamunda region and stayed in Banasura HIll Resort. Lovely location and secluded. Felt slightly over priced in my view but I guess minimalism also has its value

In terms of route, took the gundlepet, sulthan bathery route from Mysore. Very good road all along and surely the best option for wayanad region. ON the way back took SH33 on recommendation from the resort guys. Its about 30 kms shorter than the other but gmaps showed about same drive time. Road condition is pretty good except that its fairly narrow through out till Mysore and more meant for leisurely drive through the woods. Absolutely no decent eatery along the way to stop.

Bangalore - Mysore i did via kanakpura both ways fearing weekend traffic. Road condition is good except reduced width in some parts due to widening. Overall it was a good move. Avg drive time while going was about 3 hrs and return about 3.5 hrs due to more weekend return traffic. Except for lack of eatries, kanakpura road is my preferred route any day due to less traffic and stress compared to bonkers mysore road highway.
Old 9th April 2018, 12:47   #476
Senior - BHPian

Any update on Club Mahindra Waynad? Likely to stay there shortly. How is the resort,food and parking?

Also any recent update on the road condition will help. I will be traveling in the C250d.

Thanks.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 13:27   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ON the way back took SH33 on recommendation from the resort guys. [...] Absolutely no decent eatery along the way to stop.
Just for information: there are some usable restaurants in Mananthavadi town, at least one in Kattikulam and several small Kerala-style hotels throughout till Bavali. On Karnataka side there is one as you approach Handpost junction and a couple of OK-ish ones if you go a bit towards HD Kote from Handpost. Then nothing till Mysore outskirts.
Old 9th April 2018, 15:17   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Also any recent update on the road condition will help. I will be traveling in the C250d.
Thanks.
Road conditions are pretty good through out. Since a lot of widening activity is happening on Kanakpura Road, would be better to time the start well and go via the regular Bangalore Mysore highway and then onwards via Gundlepet-Bathery-Kalpetta-Vythiri.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 14:29   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Any update on Club Mahindra Waynad? Likely to stay there shortly. How is the resort,food and parking?

Thanks.
You can read my post just above your post to get the latest from the good friday long weekend. Stick to mysore - gundlepet - sulthan bathery route.

Quote:
Just for information: there are some usable restaurants in Mananthavadi town, at least one in Kattikulam and several small Kerala-style hotels throughout till Bavali. On Karnataka side there is one as you approach Handpost junction and a couple of OK-ish ones if you go a bit towards HD Kote from Handpost. Then nothing till Mysore outskirts.
While leaving from KL, Mananthavadi is bit too close to stop over. As you said all the other places are bit too basic vs. being spoilt for choice on mysore road .

Last edited by supertinu : 10th April 2018 at 14:35.
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2018, 21:43   #480
BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm planning a trip with family to wayanad by end of june. I'll be driving down from Bangalore. I've heard its gonna be raining in wayanad during this time. I'm ok with some rain, as I don't have any plans of sightseeing. However, I'm a little peeved about driving on the hills / muddy stretches etc during rain.

I'm looking at some resorts in sultan batery/vythiri areas.

Do let me know is it safe to travel during this time (end of june - mid of july). How are the road conditions generally ? Are there any fears of landslides etc , considering most resorts are perched on top of hills ?

Also, if you have any recommendations of good resorts in these areas, please do suggest. Prefer something which has sufficient activities inside the resort.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks