Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 14:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Why CBE for Return? Trichy-Dindigul (Or Karur) - Dharapuram-Pollachi-Alathur-Trichur-Kochi.
Had a pickup and drop at Coimbatore.

How is the present condition of Trichy-Dindigul road?
Old 16th October 2013, 17:06   #47
Team-BHP Support

re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Had a pickup and drop at Coimbatore.

How is the present condition of Trichy-Dindigul road?
Trichy Dindigul is a brilliant 4-lane ! So nothing to worry there.
Old 21st February 2014, 12:05   #48
cLJ
BHPian

I am planning trip to Velankanni by mid-March with my family (wife and 3 kids) and I need advice. Departure from Thrissur.

I checked the google maps and mapmyindia for routes and both shows different routes, as follows:

Mapmy india: Thrissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Kangeyam-Karur-Trichy-Thanjavur-Needamangalam-Velankanni

Google: Thrissur-Vadakkencherry-Nenmara-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Aravakurichi-Karur-Trichy-Thanjavyr-Needamangalam-Velankanni

Which is the fastest and safest routes or any other suggestion (I know there is a road through Pollachi-Palani-Dindigul-Trichy, but I don't know the condition of this route). Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 12:22   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Google: Thrissur-Vadakkencherry-Nenmara-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Aravakurichi-Karur-Trichy-Thanjavyr-Needamangalam-Velankanni
A modified version of what Google suggests:

Trichur-Vadakkencherry-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore (bypass)-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni.

This is about 20km more, but you get 4-lane from Dindigul.
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:57   #50
cLJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A modified version of what Google suggests:

Trichur-Vadakkencherry-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy-Tanjore (bypass)-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni.

This is about 20km more, but you get 4-lane from Dindigul.

Is the road from Tanjore (bypass)-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni 4-lane highway or the regular 2-line?
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:28   #51
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Is the road from Tanjore (bypass)-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni 4-lane highway or the regular 2-line?
It's 2-lane. The route via Mannargudi -Thiruthuraipoondi is not in good shape.
The other and better option being: Thanjavur - Thiruvarur- Velankanni
This has been newly re-laid and EXCELLENT.

Earlier, have done Velankanni multiple times via Karur and also Dindigul. As @Ampere said already, the route via Dindigul route gives you excellent 4-lane [ Dindigul-Trichy-Thanjavur] and then take the 90km odd stretch via Thiruvarur up to Velankanni. The entire route should be stress- free be it 4-Lane or 2-Lane.

P.S: Just did Velankanni a couple of weeks ago. Took the Thirupuraipoondi route to Velankanni and returned via Thiruvarur.

Last edited by M35 : 22nd February 2014 at 10:31.
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:41   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
It's 2-lane. The route via Mannargudi -Thiruthuraipoondi is not in good shape.The other and better option being: Thanjavur - Thiruvarur- Velankanni. This has been newly re-laid and EXCELLENT.
Thats news !

So you mean NH67 has been relaid all the way till Velankanni? In other words the whole of Tanjore-Thiruvarur-Nagapattnam stretch is good? If yes, then no need to go via Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd February 2014 at 06:42.
Old 30th July 2015, 17:45   #53

Cochin - Vellankani Route Query

Hi friends,
I am planning to go to Vellankani from Cochin in late August. I plan to leave Cochin early morning. I needed help regarding which route I must take. Also,I heard that the roads after Trichy are in bad shape. Can someone help me with the best possible route. I was also thinking of driving to other destinations near Vellankani. Are there any other places to see near Vellankani within 100km radius.

Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 20:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cochin - Vellankani Route Query

Roads from Trichy to Vailanganni are no way bad.

Trichy- Thanjavur is a 4 lane highway. Thanjavur-Thiruvarur - Nagapattinam -Vailankanni route is a windy road, lots of dangerous curves and narrow lanes, but a driver's pleasure!! Safe journey!!
PrasannaDhana is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 20:48   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL07 View Post
Can someone help me with the best possible route. I was also thinking of driving to other destinations near Vellankani. Are there any other places to see near Vellankani within 100km radius.
I have moved your post to the appropriate thread. Please see the prior posts and you should get all your answers. There are many who visit Velankanni from KL and hence this thread is decently updated.

To answer in a nutshell: High level route:

Cochin- (Kottayam or Pala) - Kanjirapally - Theni - Dindigul - Trichy - Tanjore - Tiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2015 at 21:18.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2015, 20:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,
I am planning to go to Vellankani from Cochin in late August. I plan to leave Cochin early morning. I needed help regarding which route I must take. Also,I heard that the roads after Trichy are in bad shape. Can someone help me with the best possible route. I was also thinking of driving to other destinations near Vellankani. Are there any other places to see near Vellankani within 100km radius.

Thanks
The route I am about to suggest is not going to be the fastest. But it will be better travel experience.
Kochi - Vazhachal (Check Post)- Valparai - Pollachi - Dharapuram - Thiruchirapalli - Thanjavur - Velankanni.

The roads through the Athirapally forests is very scenic and not much crowded. Those are not much wide though and you cannot drive very fast. Trust me you would not want to drive fast.
The Vazhachal Check post opens only at 6 AM so no need to leave Kochi before 5 AM. Most roads in Tamil Nadu are very good, there is a bit of bad patch around Pollachi.

Enjoy your trip.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2015, 10:52   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,
I am planning to go to Vellankani from Cochin in late August. I plan to leave Cochin early morning.

Thanks
A 5 a.m. start from kochi means you will conveniently reach Velankanni before sunset with moderate speeds with a couple of stops for breakfast and lunch
Old 17th August 2015, 14:52   #58

Thank you for the information friends. For the return leg, I was thinking of leaving Vellankani in the morning to visit the Thirunallar Temple and later proceed to Kodaikanal for the night. Which would be the best route for my return leg : Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 01:07   #59

Route Query - Cochin-Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal

Hi friends,

I am leaving for Vellankani next week. I am planning to take the Ernakulam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Trichy-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam-Vellankani route for my onward journey. Is this the best option available?

For the return leg, I was thinking of leaving Vellankani in the morning to visit the Thirunallar Temple and later proceed to Kodaikanal for the night. Which would be the best route for my return leg : Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal.

From Kodaikanal, I am planning to take the Cumbum-Theni-Kumily route to Cochin.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 21st August 2015, 10:26   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: Route Query - Cochin-Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal

Quote:
I am leaving for Vellankani next week. I am planning to take the Ernakulam-Palakkad-Pollachi-Trichy-Thiruvarur-Nagapattinam-Vellankani route for my onward journey. Is this the best option available?
Instead you should do:

Ernakulam-Trichur-Vadakkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi. From Pollachi there are more than one options.

Pollachi-Dharapuram-Arvakurichi-Karur-Musiri-Trichy and there on. Or you can do: Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy. (The second option gets you 4-lane from Dindigul).

Quote:
For the return leg, I was thinking of leaving Vellankani in the morning to visit the Thirunallar Temple and later proceed to Kodaikanal for the night. Which would be the best route for my return leg : Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal.
From Kodaikanal, I am planning to take the Cumbum-Theni-Kumily route to Cochin.
Looks good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks