Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2015, 15:52   #61

Re: Route Query - Cochin-Vellankani-Thirunallar-Kodaikanal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Instead you should do:

Ernakulam-Trichur-Vadakkenchery-Kollengode-Pollachi. From Pollachi there are more than one options.

Pollachi-Dharapuram-Arvakurichi-Karur-Musiri-Trichy and there on. Or you can do: Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul-Trichy. (The second option gets you 4-lane from Dindigul).

Looks good.
Thanks a lot ampere. I would love to take a route which has good roads. I hope the roads in the Trichur-Vadakanchery-Kollengode-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchathram-Dinidigul-Trichy route are in good shape.
Old 8th October 2015, 14:34   #62
BHPian

re: Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries

Hi Guys, I am planning for a vellankanni trip this weekend. Planning to leave early morning (4 am) from TVM and to reach vellankanni around 5.00 PM. What would be the best route to take for Trivandrum to Vellankanni?
Old 8th October 2015, 16:06   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge3p View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning for a vellankanni trip this weekend. Planning to leave early morning (4 am) from TVM and to reach vellankanni around 5.00 PM. What would be the best route to take for Trivandrum to Vellankanni?
I would suggest stick to 4-lane till Tanjore.

TVM-Nagarkovil-Madurai bypass - Trichy - Tanjore - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni.

There are some nice 2-lane options like ECR, or Pudukottai Vallam etc. But in the interest of larger overall distance I think 4-lane would be a better option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 12:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Is the Namakkal to Trichy a good option when heading from Bangalore to Velankanni?
I did this route 6 years ago and it was okay single lane road.
Old 9th October 2015, 14:17   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is the Namakkal to Trichy a good option when heading from Bangalore to Velankanni?
I did this route 6 years ago and it was okay single lane road.
Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy
Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy

Both are equally good. Thuraiyur is a better option, because you directly land at tollgate which is a easy for Tanjore road exit.
Old 13th October 2015, 11:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest stick to 4-lane till Tanjore.

TVM-Nagarkovil-Madurai bypass - Trichy - Tanjore - Mannargudi - Thiruthuraipoondi - Velankanni.

There are some nice 2-lane options like ECR, or Pudukottai Vallam etc. But in the interest of larger overall distance I think 4-lane would be a better option.
Thanks Ampere for the route suggestion. For the onward journey I took Madurai - Trichy route. Was able to keep good pace, Left TVM at 4 am and reached Velankanni at around 3.30 PM including 1 hour each breaks at Madurai and Tanjavur. There is road widening happening from Tanjavur to Velankanni.
For the return leg took the each coast highway. Started at around 11 AM and reached TVM by 12.00 AM. We took a detour to Rameshwarm.
dodge3p is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 14:49   #67

Palakkad to Velankanni

Dear Friends,

We are planning to drive from Palakkad to Velankanni.

Which is the fastest route?

About three years ago we had taken the following route: Palakkad - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani - Oddanchatram - Dindigul - Trichy - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni.

Is there any other route which will be faster?

Thanks!
Old 26th February 2016, 15:09   #68
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Palakkad to Velankanni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPaulV View Post
About three years ago we had taken the following route: Palakkad - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani - Oddanchatram - Dindigul - Trichy - Thanjavur - Thiruvarur - Velankanni.

This is still possibly the best route, though you can also do:
Palakkad-Coimbatore-Palladam-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul..rest as in your route.

OR even this route (avoids Palani):
Palakkad-Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul..and the others as per your route.

Last edited by NPV : 26th February 2016 at 15:33.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 10:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Friends,

Thanks!
As per the recent report The Thanjavur-Thiruvarur road is not in good condition. So it is better to take Thanjavur-Mannargudi-Thiruvarur route. Alternatively you can take the Mannargudi-Thiruthuraipoondi-Velankanni route, but not sure about the current condition of this route.
Landkruzer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 11:41   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As @NPV suggested, Pollachi-Dharapuram-Oddanchatram-Dindigul makes much more sense. Dharapuram has a bypass too.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 15:05   #71
BHPian

Palakkad to Kumbakonam

Hello all. I am planning a trip to Kumbakonam from Palakkad. I am contemplating taking the NH67 upto Thanjavur (Coimbatore - Palladam - Karur - Trichy - Thanjavur) and then the NH45C to Kumbakonam. Has anyone travelled on this route before and is aware of road conditions, traffic, restaurants along the way? All help will be appreciated!

Google map link:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pa...616945!3e0!5i1
Old 9th March 2016, 15:42   #72
Team-BHP Support

Re: Palakkad to Kumbakonam

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster View Post
Hello all. I am planning a trip to Kumbakonam from Palakkad. I am contemplating taking the NH67 upto Thanjavur (Coimbatore - Palladam - Karur - Trichy - Thanjavur) and then the NH45C to Kumbakonam. Has anyone travelled on this route before and is aware of road conditions, traffic, restaurants along the way? All help will be appreciated!
I would suggest Pollachi-Dharapuram-Dindigul-Trichy. NH67 has lot traffic and is 2-lane. While Dindigul-Trichy is 4-lane and faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I won't suggest you to drive via Tanjore town or Tanjore bypass. Since your destination is Kumbakonam, i suggest you to continue driving till Saliamangalam in NH67, then take left towards Thirukarugavur and Papanasam and join NH45C towards Kumbakonam. You can avoid heavy traffic and narrow/average roads between Tanjore till Papanasam.
+1 Very good option Ravi.

(I hope you meant to suggest to take the Tanjore bypass and then continue on NH67)

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2016 at 15:52.
Old 9th March 2016, 15:43   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Google map link:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Pa...616945!3e0!5i1
AFAIK, the roads are good all throughout. Watch out for the truck traffic between Palladam-Karur as it will be high. Even sometimes, between Karur-Trichy you may face it, depending on the time you travel. So go with the route suggested by ampere.

I won't suggest you to drive via Tanjore town or Tanjore bypass. Since your destination is Kumbakonam, i suggest you to continue driving till Saliamangalam in NH67, then take left towards Thirukarugavur and Papanasam and join NH45C towards Kumbakonam. You can avoid heavy traffic and narrow/average roads between Tanjore till Papanasam.

https://goo.gl/maps/DySPvUPe3d62

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 9th March 2016 at 15:54.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 23:23   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest Pollachi-Dharapuram-Dindigul-Trichy. NH67 has lot traffic and is 2-lane. While Dindigul-Trichy is 4-lane and faster.
Thanks Ravi and Ampere. I may have a brief stop over in Coimbatore and I plan to travel during the day. Google maps suggests as an option the Coimbatore - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul-Trichy route. How is the road and traffic situation on the route from Palladam - Dharapuram route?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Co...616945!3e0!5i2
Old 14th March 2016, 00:19   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ravi and Ampere. I may have a brief stop over in Coimbatore and I plan to travel during the day. Google maps suggests as an option the Coimbatore - Palladam - Dharapuram - Dindigul-Trichy route. How is the road and traffic situation on the route from Palladam - Dharapuram route?
If you have work in Coimbattore and then want to carry forward, Dharapuram/Dindigul does not make sense. In that case stick to Palladam-Karur-Trichy. But yes, NH67 will see quite some traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks