Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2006, 10:56   #1
BHPian

Need info for Bangalore-poona-mumbai road trip

Guys I need to know whether this distance between bangalore-pune can be traversed in a single day???
what are the halts on the way and most of all is it safe to drive with family on this road

which are the good places to stay in pune

Last edited by s.prashanth : 30th August 2006 at 10:57. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 30th August 2006, 11:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Distance: approx 1000 kms, depending on where you start in Blr and where in Blr, and your destination in Bby.

Feasibility in one day: depends on number of drivers.
Also, what's your definition of 'one day'?

Safety: good

Road conditions: good, except in patches. More so in Karnataka. Mostly divided roads.

Fuelling: regular Reliance pumps. Konduskar in Kolhapur.
Old 30th August 2006, 11:50   #3
BHPian

thank you , what I thought was whther I can drive to pune by 5pm if I leave bangalore by 5 in the mornning.Would stay in Pune and do a day trip to mumbai and then the return, I was looking at the map and the distance comes to 800kms, if i were to average 65km/hr i thought 15 hrs would do it and only I am driving
Old 30th August 2006, 12:16   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
thank you , what I thought was whther I can drive to pune by 5pm if I leave bangalore by 5 in the mornning.Would stay in Pune and do a day trip to mumbai and then the return, I was looking at the map and the distance comes to 800kms, if i were to average 65km/hr i thought 15 hrs would do it and only I am driving
Yea you COULD technically do the distance in a day.
I just did Bangalore Poona on the 14/15 of this month, drove to Belgaum and spent the night there then the next day carried on to Poona... which to me is a much better way of doing it..
If you are in an Godawful hurry to get to Poona then do it in a day, but be warned, the roads while they are 4 lanes most of the way, certain sections still narrow down to 2 lanes and this would hamper your 65km/hr average... also being the rains you never know what could happen on these 2 lane stretches.
Have a nice trip
Old 30th August 2006, 12:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you have a relief driver ?

Remember, to leave at 5 am means you are going to be up by 4, and possibly a little short on sleep. Pls do not stretch yourself.

If pune is only about taking a break for the night, you can always do it at Kolhapur or any town after that. Roads in Maharashtra are good, and you can do decent speeds. Same for Blr - Chitradurga and a little after.

Drive safe
Old 30th August 2006, 12:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
Yea you COULD technically do the distance in a day.
I just did Bangalore Poona on the 14/15 of this month, drove to Belgaum and spent the night there then the next day carried on to Poona... which to me is a much better way of doing it..
If you are in an Godawful hurry to get to Poona then do it in a day, but be warned, the roads while they are 4 lanes most of the way, certain sections still narrow down to 2 lanes and this would hamper your 65km/hr average... also being the rains you never know what could happen on these 2 lane stretches.
Have a nice trip
Please let me know the distance to belgaum from bangalore and then the distance to mumbai from belgaum and the places to stay in belgaum
Old 30th August 2006, 12:42   #7
BANNED

Offhand the distance Bangalore was about 550 kms and another 250-300 kms to Poona. I stayed at a place called Kirthi International. Rooms go for about 650 a night twin sharing. The hotel is no great shakes but its got decient food,the rooms are clean and so are the toilets and its A/c'd.
All in all a decient place to stay.
Old 30th August 2006, 13:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

2L8 is close - 500km.
Bgm-Kolhapur is about 100km.
Bgm-Pune about 325

I think there is a KSTDC [Mayura] on the out-skirts, as you go on the by-pass.

IMO, better to go upto Kolhapur, which will give you lesser distance for day 2, and more time in city in Bby.
Old 30th August 2006, 14:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at http://www.mapsofindia.com/driving-d...tions-map.html for waypoints along the way and the distance between them.
Old 30th August 2006, 15:50   #10
BHPian

has anybody one this trip recently and what are the conditions of the road, also can somebody please let me know which are the places that are good to stop for chai paani?/
Old 30th August 2006, 19:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore mumbai can easily be done in a day.Its approx 1100 km from ghatkopar to bangalore(banshankri 1st stage).
Bangalore to belgaum is 550 km and belgaum to mumbai is 550 km.Its half way.
i do this trip 2 times every year in my maruti 800.Takes about 18 to 19 hours at the max from ghatkopar in mumbai to bangalore.
Although my choice of travel time is thoda different.I leave at 1 o clock in the morning/night whatever u call it.Drive non stop till belgaum which comes up in say 8 hours as there is no traffic in the night.have chai paani for half an hour and again set off and stop again just for lunch and then its non stop driving till bangalore.
With this schedule i make it to bangalore mostly by 4 o clock or so but if traffic is jyada it take some more time.
maintain a speed of 100 to 110 whenever possible
Watch out from speed breakers(dont know what to call them)which are U shaped.u cant see them from far and when u are very near is when u can see them.Will break your car if passed at highspeeds.This is from what i saw happenin to another 800 who was little ahead of me.They are few of these kinds but one is more than enough for breaking ur baby.
Old 30th August 2006, 19:24   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

the masala chai at the Reliance /A1 plazas is good

Unless you get into the cities, you would have to depend on the places that are frequented by buses. But these places often have an ok rest-room.

Dont worry too much, go ahead and make the trip. I have done the Blr-Hubli a couple of months back, and the Bby-Blr earlier this year. Like I had said, except for patches [mostly a few bridges] of the road, it is good.
Old 30th August 2006, 19:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

On long distance drives Indian Oil motels are good. They are usually located near big IOC petrol pumps and cost around 600/night.
Do not do 1100kms in one stretch unless you are confident about your endurance capabilities
Old 30th August 2006, 20:03   #14
BHPian

you would have got a map by now.

else here an useful one:
http://www.nhai.org/NH4_Mumbai_Chennai_english.htm

browse that site for more maps when needed.

also your AAI nearby will be helpful too.

i will be doing a reverse Mumbai - Bangalore - Chennai and back in November. its been ages since i hit a long highway drive.

used to do it more frequently with an old NE. nothing after my upgrade.

heppy journey
Old 30th August 2006, 22:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Yep Agree with TSK dont do 1100 km at a strech if u cant handle it as it will lead to fatigue,loss of concentration and higher chances of accident.DO it if u are confident enough of your endurance capablities.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks