Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 22:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda
There will be 3 toll booths between Ulunderpet and Salem.

I somehow missed this update. Do you mean to say that the tolls are now open?

Also, I request an update on Salem-Attur section and the new Salem bypass which is being constructed before Ayodhyapattinam itself.
I was down this route to Yercaud on September 13th. The last update is there are 3 toll booths on this route but only the first 2 are operational. Road excellent upto Attur. After Attur there is road work going on in a few places. You still drive on the highway but it's single lane and 2 way traffic. Having said that I can tell you that the slight diversions are not that bad actually. Even Ayodhipatmam by pass is complete. It is just right before Salem town some work is done on the Salem by pass, but it is not bad at all.

The work on this route is pretty quick. Very soon there should be 3 tolls on this route but I guess it's worth it! It's cut my running time to Coimbatore by half!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 23:59   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: Chennai - Ullundurpettai - Salem : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The last update is there are 3 toll booths on this route but only the first 2 are operational.
Thanks for the update.
Perhaps this is the first update to know that the first 2 tolls are now open.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:49   #138
BHPian

Hi All,

Any latest update one this route ? How much time it takes from Chennai to Salem on this route on an average (if starts by 2PM from Chennai)
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:04   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Hi All,

Any latest update one this route ? How much time it takes from Chennai to Salem on this route on an average (if starts by 2PM from Chennai)
Dependant on your speeds.ideal conditions distance can be covered in about 5.5-6hrs
Old 20th December 2012, 14:32   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Dependant on your speeds.ideal conditions distance can be covered in about 5.5-6hrs
Thanks Ranjit. From Ulundurpet, there are 2 routes as per google map. One via Kallaikurichi -Chinaasalem- Attur-Salem and another is Asanur-Veppur-Attur-Salem

Which one is better ?
Old 20th December 2012, 14:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
...One via Kallaikurichi -Chinaasalem- Attur-Salem ...
This is the standard route.

There are no recent updates on the Veppur road....would be interesting to know the current condition of the Veppur road.
Old 10th January 2013, 14:18   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
This is the standard route.

There are no recent updates on the Veppur road....would be interesting to know the current condition of the Veppur road.
Update:- I took the normal route (Kallaikurichi -Chinaasalem- Attur-Salem ) after checking with few local guys and it was the right decision!

Till Attur it was a breeze and not much to complain till salem. There are few single line stretches in between but I thought it is manageable
vinucv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 10:13   #143
BHPian

I am planning to do Chennai to Ooty this long weekend. I am planning to leave tomorrow (12th Jan) Last time I did the same trip in May 2012, this Ulundurpet to Salem toll road was still under construction and tolls weren't open. Good to know that it is almost complete. Last time I returned via Krishnagiri route since the end of the road Attur to Salem was quite in a mess due to the construction of bridges and flyovers.

This time I am planning to take Chennai - Ulundurpettai - Salem - Avinashi - Ooty route as suggested. Will reach and report from there about the condition of the road. In May, even Salem to Avinashi and Coimbatore 6 lane highway was under construction and there were a lot of diversions. Can anybody confirm how it is now? Last time the right to Avinashi was also confusing so I went slow for a good 25km so as to not miss the right. Is it bold and clear now with signs?
Old 11th January 2013, 12:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post

This time I am planning to take Chennai - Ulundurpettai - Salem - Avinashi - Ooty route as suggested. Will reach and report from there about the condition of the road. In May, even Salem to Avinashi and Coimbatore 6 lane highway was under construction and there were a lot of diversions. Can anybody confirm how it is now? Last time the right to Avinashi was also confusing so I went slow for a good 25km so as to not miss the right. Is it bold and clear now with signs?
I am assuming you would be taking Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty route.This is the easiest.4 laning on NH47 is almost complete till Avinashi.Be careful not to take the Avinashi bypass on NH47,instead go through the town and turn right towards Annur.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=13&t=m&z=13
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:43   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I am assuming you would be taking Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty route.This is the easiest.4 laning on NH47 is almost complete till Avinashi.Be careful not to take the Avinashi bypass on NH47,instead go through the town and turn right towards Annur.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=13&t=m&z=13
Thanks a lot for this tip. Last time also I vaguely remember going through the town of Avinashi only. This time I have my iPad also. So maps large and clear, my wife being the navigator.
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:30   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
This time I am planning to take Chennai - Ulundurpettai - Salem - Avinashi - Ooty route as suggested. Will reach and report from there about the condition of the road.
Did you drive in this route? What is the current status of the stretch between Attur and Salem? How long did it take to do this stretch? Also, did you see any food option between Ulundurpet and Salem?
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:43   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Did you drive in this route? What is the current status of the stretch between Attur and Salem? How long did it take to do this stretch? Also, did you see any food option between Ulundurpet and Salem?
I had updated on this route on a more relevant thread to my trip here.
Food options: The best is Sree Saravana a few km before you take the Salem bypass to reach the six lane highway to Coimbatore. Everything else is small and far in between. Sree Saravana is quite a huge property that you can't miss even if you are doing speeds above 100.
deepakchan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 21:30   #148
Senior - BHPian

Any recent takers in this stretch? NHAI.ORG says Mar'13 as the date of completion for this stretch.
Old 29th March 2013, 00:18   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Any recent takers in this stretch? NHAI.ORG says Mar'13 as the date of completion for this stretch.
I was down this stretch to Coimbatore in Feb. No sign of completion in the Salem-Attur stretch. Infact it was even worse with more dug up stretches. I was pissed off driving down this Ulundurpet-Salem highway this time. There is only one food outlet just after 15-20 kms from Ulundurpet.
Old 30th May 2013, 07:12   #150
BHPian

Any improvements on Attur-Salem stretch. Planning to go this weekend from Chennai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks