Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 21:37   #1036
Team-BHP Support

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
For me it would reduce time going through the city to reach Krishnagiri. Admittedly my average speed on the 2 lane undivided rd would be slower from Mulbagal to Arcot as through the krishnagiri route which would be 4 lane. But there will be only 2 tolls here vs more number there.
Any updates on the road conditions on this route?
Conditions remain pretty much the same.

- Take the Chitoor bypass towards Chennai.
- Post Chitoor, take the road Ranipet.
- Go through the town to the Palar bridge.
- At the other end is the exit to Cheyyar.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:29   #1037
BHPian

We are planning a day trip to Golden temple Vellore this weekend and also visit Kanchipuram if time permits. I checked the threads and realized that its better to visit Golden temple in evening than in afternoon.
Is it possible to start from BLR at 7 and reach Kanchipuram by noon, visit few temples and some silk saree shopping till 5 (provided the ladies support) and come back to Golden temple vellore and then drive back to BLR ?
Will this be too hectic or it could be accommodated ?
Old 23rd January 2014, 22:23   #1038
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Will this be too hectic or it could be accommodated ?
That would be a good plan.
A better plan :
Take that drive on a Sat. Stay overnight at Vellore at Darshan. Come back at leisure next day.
Old 24th January 2014, 10:24   #1039
BHPian

Experts, I need your advice.
Me and my wife plan to drive down to Pondicherry on the 15th of Feb for the weekend from Bangalore.

Here is the issue though:
We would be driving down in our new car (a Skoda Rapid).
The car was bought on 27th Dec. We have the insurance cover note valid till mid March.
We have the original RTO tax paid challan. That was done on the 10th of Jan.
What we do not have however, is the RC card/book. We do have the number for the car though. RTO/Skoda says the RC book will be sent to me by mail and might take around a month.

In case I don't get it by 15th Feb would there be any issues in driving to Pondicherry from Bangalore with the current set of papers?
Old 24th January 2014, 11:15   #1040
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobetterID View Post
The car was bought on 27th Dec. We have the insurance cover note valid till mid March.
Why is it only till March? Should it not be for a year ? Am I missing some thing?
Old 24th January 2014, 11:21   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Why is it only till March? Should it not be for a year ? Am I missing some thing?
It's a cover note. Valid for two months (till mid march). During this time the final policy should be delivered by post to me.
Old 24th January 2014, 22:38   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
We have the original RTO tax paid challan. That was done on the 10th of Jan.
What we do not have however, is the RC card/book. We do have the number for the car though. RTO/Skoda says the RC book will be sent to me by mail and might take around a month.
In case I don't get it by 15th Feb would there be any issues in driving to Pondicherry from Bangalore with the current set of papers?
If I have understood correctly, you do not have the registration number of your vehicle. That is a bit strange. Generally, the RC book / card arrives later by post, but the registration number (for e.g. KA-XX-YYYY) is allotted and the dealer fits the number plate accordingly at the time of delivery or latest within a working day after delivery. My 2 cents of advice would be to get the registration number of the vehicle from the dealer and fit the plate to the vehicle. Usually, cops do not stop outstaion private vehicles.
Alternatively, paste the sticker "REGISTERED" on the front and rear windshield and carry on with the trip.

Quote:
It's a cover note. Valid for two months (till mid march). During this time the final policy should be delivered by post to me.
If you are travelling in February, and the insurance expires in March, it should not be a problem.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2014, 22:49   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
If I have understood correctly, you do not have the registration number of your vehicle.
Thanks for your reply. I do have the number and the number and the number plate Samish.

What I do not have is the RC book.
I was wondering if that would be a problem during the road trip.
Old 24th January 2014, 23:52   #1044
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do ask him if he can send you a copy by email. That should also help.
Old 26th January 2014, 00:27   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I do have the number and the number and the number plate Samish.

What I do not have is the RC book.
I was wondering if that would be a problem during the road trip.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I think it should not be a problem if you have the original tax paid receipt. You may also carry the original invoice which the dealer issued during delivery.

Regards

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 08:49   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back from Pondicherry yesterday. Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam is amazing. The SH 5 is beautiful road where some stretches have just been laid. One small section of 5 km after Thellar (Vandavasi > Tindivanam) is very patchy but if you are used to the potholes of Bangalore, this is a piece of cake

Arcot - Cheyyar

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-vvar1.jpg

Cheyyar - Vandavasi

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-vvcy1.jpg
Old 30th January 2014, 12:31   #1047
BHPian

Hi All,

Have planned a trip to Pondy this weekend. Per the suggestions in previous pages, I am planning to take the Krishnagiri-Vellore-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route. Hope that's fine.

Still need to zero-in on the turns and diversions to take to stick to this route. Hope I get it sorted out by EOD today.

Is this post accurate? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2923886

Have heard a lot about Sarvana Bhavan in Vellore. Planning to stop there for breakfast. Expecting a decent sized crowd since it will a Saturday morning.

Yet to pin-point this location as well so that it can be fed into Sygic.

Will be booking Ginger in Pondicherry as all on-beach resorts are either full or way too expensive. Not bothered much since we will be reaching Pondy not before 2 pm on Saturday, and then have only Sunday, which will be spent mostly at the beach/es and Aurobindo Ashram.

Just wanted to know if the location of Ginger is okay, and that the beaches are not too far away from there?

Any particular places to visit, as this is my first visit to the ex-French Colony?

I am an eggeterian; any must visit places for breakfast / lunch / dinner?

Planning to start from Bangalore by 06:30 hrs, and at 12 noon on our way back.

Suggestions of any kind are welcome! Thanks!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 30th January 2014 at 12:35.
Old 30th January 2014, 12:46   #1048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Have heard a lot about Sarvana Bhavan in Vellore. Planning to stop there for breakfast. Expecting a decent sized crowd since it will a Saturday morning.
Saravana Bhavan is on Arcot road. In my opinion not worth the exit time from the highway to head to this place. Though the hotel is good.

Old 30th January 2014, 13:09   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In my opinion not worth the exit time from the highway to head to this place. Though the hotel is good.

Any other good places for breakfast? I do not want to start my day by eating in Mc Donald's or CCD for sure. That's the reason I was preferring Sarvana Bhavan. But based on your experience, I am definitely ready to try other options (veg/egg)
Old 30th January 2014, 13:27   #1050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Thanks Ampere, as always!

Any other good places for breakfast? I do not want to start my day by eating in Mc Donald's or CCD for sure. That's the reason I was preferring Sarvana Bhavan. But based on your experience, I am definitely ready to try other options (veg/egg)
If you start at 6:30 you would only make it to A2B or Meenakshi Bhavan by 7:30/8 at Shoolagiri. If you had planned Vellore for a breakfast stop over; it would easily be 10 !
Both A2B or Meemakshi Bhavan are good places to stop, though not in the league of Sankam, Belgaum!

Just try to beat the crowd. 8AM is peak BF time on a weekend at these places.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks