Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 10:57   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Pondicherry on August 29th. Since I start from Whitefield,
Bangalore-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam is shorter for me. How is the road condition? Is it easy to find directions?
You can also try this route Via Mulbagal-Chitoor by pass-Vellore-Arani-Vandavasi and Tindivanam
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 12:29   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Perfectly good. But the only thing is, you need to get into Ranipet town and then come out on the other side to cross the bridge on 4-Lane on river Palar.
There are many places for breakfast too.

This may be a better option to cross Ranipet. Route Link
If I have to ask for directions, what should I ask for? Could you please give a list of eateries on this route for break fast while going and lunch while returning? What time can I expect to reach Pondicherry if I start at 5:30 AM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can also try this route Via Mulbagal-Chitoor by pass-Vellore-Arani-Vandavasi and Tindivanam
Any advantage in taking this route compared to the other one. I like two laned highways more than 4 lane if not in a hurry
Old 25th August 2014, 12:55   #1173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I have to ask for directions, what should I ask for? Could you please give a list of eateries on this route for break fast while going and lunch while returning? What time can I expect to reach Pondicherry if I start at 5:30 AM?
You should be able to make it in 6 hours. If you have ask from direction:

- Ask how to get to Palar bridge
- How to go to Arcot?
- Once you cross the Palar bridge, you will see board to Pondicherry/Tindivanam.
- You should take that immediate exit.

List of eateries
- Woddys at Kolar
- CCD at Kolar, Palamaner, Chitoor bypass starting
- Nandi Plaza at the beginning of Chitoor bypass

Apart from the above, I have many some more places along the highway. Dont remember the names.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 13:17   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any advantage in taking this route compared to the other one. I like two laned highways more than 4 lane if not in a hurry
Vellore - Arani - Vandavasi is also a 2 laned SH. I have been on this stretch before. This is just an alternate route apart from the Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi route.

OT: If you are interested in temples, there is a famous temple in Avanaiyapuram on the Arani-Vandavasi road. This temple is the famed Narasimha temple. The specialty of this temple is that goddess lakshmi too has the lioness face something you will never see in any of the other Narasimha temples.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 19:43   #1175
BHPian

Tiruvannamalai - Pondicherry

Planning to do Tiruvannamalai - Pondicherry in September end.
As I read in this thread the road via Gingee-Tindivanam is very bad and is being laid.

So is the road work over? Any advice of alternate routes?

(I am thinking of going via Villupuram).
Old 26th August 2014, 19:50   #1176
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tiruvannamalai - Pondicherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
(I am thinking of going via Villupuram).
You can take the Tirukkoilur-Villupuram road. But again Villupuram to Pondicherry is a narrow road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 20:05   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can take the Tirukkoilur-Villupuram road. But again Villupuram to Pondicherry is a narrow road.
Villupuram - Pondy is a good two lane road. Its narrow only when it passes through Valavanur.

The traffic is heavy though.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 01:07   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Villupuram - Pondy is a good two lane road. Its narrow only when it passes through Valavanur.

The traffic is heavy though.
Thanks!

Will be first doing Ulundurpet-Tirukkoilur-Tiruvannamalai with two days stay there.

Then will try Tiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondicherry.
(I wanted to see the Gingee-forts, but after reading this thread want to avoid via Gingee-Tindivanam).

I have done Villupuram-Pondicherry about a year back, with heavy traffic and narrow two lanes but the road surface was okay though.

Last edited by manim : 27th August 2014 at 01:09.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:07   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Thanks!

Will be first doing Ulundurpet-Tirukkoilur-Tiruvannamalai with two days stay there.

Then will try Tiruvannamalai-Villupuram-Pondicherry.
(I wanted to see the Gingee-forts, but after reading this thread want to avoid via Gingee-Tindivanam).

I have done Villupuram-Pondicherry about a year back, with heavy traffic and narrow two lanes but the road surface was okay though.
When in Tirukkoilur, do not forget to visit Ulagalandha perumal temple (108 divya desams). Also in Manalurpet near Tirukkoilur, we have an ancient Ranganathar temple called Adhi Thiruvarangam. The idol is much bigger and ancient than Srirangam.
This temple does not close for lunch. I have been to this temple twice before.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:00   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning : Bangalore-Pondicherry : Help Required

How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route? Seems to be shorter than the Arcot-Vandavasi route by around 75km.

Last edited by robimahanta : 27th August 2014 at 14:03.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:39   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
How is the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route? Seems to be shorter than the Arcot-Vandavasi route by around 75km.
The route is shorter for sure, however, the vehicle and its occupants will need a massage upon reaching Pondicherry (in a lighter vein)

During my trip in May, I recall meeting a family of 4 during dinner at our hotel, and we were discussing the route details. They started at 08:00 hrs from Bangalore, only to reach Pondicherry by 18:30 hrs. They took the Krishnagiri-Thiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route. Though I have never taken that route, their description was enough to make me feel that they will never take that route again even if they were offered a free trip, including accommodation in Pondicherry.

In our 3 trips to Pondicherry so far this year, I have always taken the Krishnagiri - Ambur - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondicherry route, and despite my sedate driving style coupled with atleast 2 breaks, we always reach Pondicherry in 6.5 hrs max.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:49   #1182
BHPian

Whats a good place to stay here and in a hotel that has a swimming pool and not too far from the beach and the french section?
Old 28th August 2014, 06:07   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
Whats a good place to stay here and in a hotel that has a swimming pool and not too far from the beach and the french section?
Sorry, but do you mean " near to Aurobindo Asharam and French Consulate" when you say " French Section"?

Hotel Atithi is good in terms of location as well as food. Can provide more details, but I am a vegetarian. Located at a minute's drive from the Rocky beach.

Aurobindo Asharam have their own guesthouse bang in front of the Bay of Bengal on the Rocky Beach. That's around 2300/- for double occupancy including breakfast. However, it can be booked only by calling or emailing them. No swimming pool though.

If you need a more upmarket hotel on the Rocky Beach, go for PROMENADE, a HIDESIGN HOTEL.

If your target is Paradise Beach, checkout Kailash Beach Resort or Le Pondy. Both are adjacent to each other and have their own beach. The latter is pretty close to Paradise Beach. Then there is Windflower as well, but I would recommend Kailash or Le Pondy if staying close to Paradise Beach.

Ginger is good too if you don't mind driving 5 mins to Rocky Beach.

I hope you have been to Pondicherry earlier and know the beaches well, however, if not then I must add that the Rocky Beach is just for morning and evening strolls. If you want to enjoy n embrace the ocean, go to Paradise Beach.

Also, since I was unaware about your budget, I have mentioned most of the hotels that I have stayed in.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 08:15   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
How much can you spend?

I think Villa Garoud has a pool and is cheaper. I love L'Orient which is good all around but doesn't have a pool (4-4.5k). Aurobindo ashram place is on the promenade but around 2.5k but little amenities beyond food.

Cleartrip can help. Palais de Mahe meets your requirement but in a 8k budget.

Atithi is too far away from the french area, which is the real point of pondicherry. You should stay in the french quarter, walk around, see the buildings, walk on the promenade in the evening etc.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 08:27   #1185
Senior - BHPian

I have always stayed at Anandha Inn whenever we visit Pondy. Nice rooms, decent pricing, amazing food are all a given there. The pool and Gym are impeccably maintained too. As I have my car and since Ashram / French area is a 5 minute drive from this hotel, I have never had issues with the location !
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks