Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 13:46   #1216
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hi,
I am right now in vellore and planning for a short trip to mahabalipuram and back.

Can some one help me with the appropriate route and timw estimate. I also plan to be back in vellore in 5hrs visit golden temple in the evening and then head back to bangalore. Law and order permitting.

Thx
Old 27th September 2014, 14:01   #1217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
Hi,
I am right now in vellore and planning for a short trip to mahabalipuram and back.
The standard route is :

- Drive to Kanchi
- Get into the town
- Take the Walajabad-Chengalpet road.
- Go past Chengalpet to Mahabalipuram

You should be able to make it a max of 3 hours. This should account for time spent in going through Kanchi town.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:33   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Can some one help me with the appropriate route and timw estimate. I also plan to be back in vellore in 5hrs visit golden temple in the evening and then head back to bangalore. Law and order permitting.

Thx
Considering the volatile situation in TN following the arrest of the CM, I would caution you not to use hosur road as there are reports of violence in hosur and krishnagiri.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 10:59   #1219
BHPian

Yup. Thanks guys!!
I returned from vellore last evening given the situation.
Firstly i tried visiting golden temple but were returned back by locals which seemed to be saying that its shut. I immediately returned to the hotel and started hunting for news etc. Got to understand that hosur is especially problematic. Upon asking around got to understand that non-hosur entry points should be fine. Google maps came to the rescue which showed vellore is very close to AP border. So we took a different route via chittoor kolar hoskote.
And i must say the route overall was good and it took me door to door 3.30 hrs with just one refuelling break.
Thanks to team bhp too were i did see info about chittoor bangalore trips.

Last edited by WheelWake : 28th September 2014 at 11:00. Reason: typo correction
Old 28th September 2014, 11:40   #1220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And i must say the route overall was good and it took me door to door 3.30 hrs with just one refuelling break. Thanks to team bhp too were i did see info about chittoor bangalore trips.
The only section here which is not oft-taken is the Vellore-Katpadi-Chotoor stretch. However that stretch is quite good too. Beyond Chtoor its anyway known.

Also I hope you did not drive all the way to Chitoor town. It leads to the bypass. I mean this

You should see the Katpadi road merging into Walajapet-Chitoor road, before you hit the town bypass.

Last edited by ampere : 28th September 2014 at 11:42.
Old 29th September 2014, 09:46   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only section here which is not oft-taken is the Vellore-Katpadi-Chotoor stretch. However that stretch is quite good too. Beyond Chtoor its anyway known.
I took the Vellore - Katpadi - Chittoor route while returning from Pondicherry on 31st August. Roads are good but it is longer than Ranipet route.
Old 29th September 2014, 18:12   #1222
BHPian

Quote:

Also I hope you did not drive all the way to Chitoor town. It leads to the bypass. I mean this

You should see the Katpadi road merging into Walajapet-Chitoor road, before you hit the town bypass.
After Dasara holidays,planning a visit by my Spark to Pondy from Mysore avoiding going via Bangalore.
Google gives this route(attached map). 467Km/8hrs 22min. What are your views reg: road condition, availability of hotels,rest rooms etc. Is it preferable/safe or do I instead take the via Bangalore route.
Moderators:Query: How do I remove the attached file and upload an image file instead?

Last edited by virgopal : 29th September 2014 at 18:24.
Old 29th September 2014, 19:08   #1223
BHPian

Mods: Sorry,I am unable to remove the attachment in above post.
Hence attaching this image in a separate post.Kindly merge these posts
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-fireshot-capture-google-maps_-https___www.google.co.in_maps_dir_ku.png  

Old 29th September 2014, 19:17   #1224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Mods: Sorry,I am unable to remove the attachment in above post.
Hence attaching this image in a separate post.Kindly merge these posts
What the default Google shows is perfect. Just a slight modification. Take the route via Gobi instead of Athani.

Route Link

Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy-Gobichettypalayam (Gobi) - Bhavani bypass - Salem - Attur - Ulundurpet - Villupuram - Tindivanam - Pondy.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:22   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
What the default Google shows is perfect. Just a slight modification. Take the route via Gobi instead of Athani.

Route Link

Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy-Gobichettypalayam (Gobi) - Bhavani bypass - Salem - Attur - Ulundurpet - Villupuram - Tindivanam - Pondy.
Thanks ampere for giving a tip.How is the road condition all the way? Is there any ghat section and HP bends? Can you suggest any decent Hotels en-route with rest room facilities.Hope my Spark can handle the drive without any issue.
(I have only done Mysore-Bangalore-Mysore stretch by Spark)
However,in the past I have done couple of trips by Maruti 800 from Bangalore via Kanchi-Chengleput-Madurantakam-Tindivanam-Pondy.But this is the first by Spark.
Any other precautions to be taken as I guess this route may not be used frequently by THBPians
Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 13:30   #1226
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Thanks ampere for giving a tip.How is the road condition all the way? Is there any ghat section and HP bends?
Yes Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy has 26 hair pins. Easy to do. Just that traffic should be clean.

Quote:
Can you suggest any decent Hotels en-route with rest room facilities.Hope my Spark can handle the drive without any issue.
You should take the first break at Saravana Bhavan at Sankiri. (Just near the toll gate on your right while going towards Salem)

Thats about 200km from Mysore. If you start early, I think that should be a perfect break point.

Beyond Salem, there are many places. And then there is A2B on the GST bypass at Ulundurpet.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 15:14   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Chamarajanagar-Dimbam-Sathy has 26 hair pins. Easy to do. Just that traffic should be clean.

You should take the first break at Saravana Bhavan at Sankiri. (Just near the toll gate on your right while going towards Salem)

Thats about 200km from Mysore. If you start early, I think that should be a perfect break point.

Beyond Salem, there are many places. And then there is A2B on the GST bypass at Ulundurpet.
Thanks a lot ampere Sir for your guidance. Plan to visit Pondy around Oct middle. I will post my experience later on.
Old 1st October 2014, 12:29   #1228
BHPian

I will be leaving tomorrow morning to Pondicherry via the Hoskote, Chittoor, Ranipet route. Any reports of violence in these routes?
Old 1st October 2014, 14:11   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
I will be leaving tomorrow morning to Pondicherry via the Hoskote, Chittoor, Ranipet route. Any reports of violence in these routes?
I had been to chennai yesterday via the SH route. Situation was normal. We will come to know how situation changes after Oct 7th only.
Old 1st October 2014, 14:20   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I had been to chennai yesterday via the SH route. Situation was normal. We will come to know how situation changes after Oct 7th only.
Thanks for the information. I was wondering if there is a change in situation since the Vacation Bench postponed the plea to Oct 7th today.
Also I Drive a KA Regn Car.

Last edited by athalaga : 1st October 2014 at 14:21. Reason: update in information

Most Viewed