Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 16:36   #1306
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yes, You need not enter into Chittoor. Take the Chittoor by pass road and then you will reach a junction wherein the left leads to chennai and the right leads to vellore. Take the road leading to vellore
Is it better to go from Chittoor to Arcot or Vellore?
Old 6th January 2015, 16:56   #1307
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Can we do Bangalore, Chittoor, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam, Pondy?

The reason being I stay on the old madras road part of Bangalore where this route looks good.

Is the above route good?
Here is the route : Route Link (From Chitoor bypass to Cheyyar Road).

No Vellore is not worth it. Because you have to go through the town. Walajapet / Arcot is better.
Old 9th January 2015, 10:33   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
No second thoughts.

Via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi and Tindivanam. Bangalore to Vellore is 4/6 lane. Vellore to Tindivanam is a very good 2 lane road. Tindivanam to Pondicherry is a 4 lane road
Thanks a lot , are there sufficient options for food on this route ? Breakfast stop will be Krishnagiri A2B obviously , what about lunch ? Any good vegetarian hotels after Vellore ?
Old 9th January 2015, 10:46   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Thanks a lot , are there sufficient options for food on this route ? Breakfast stop will be Krishnagiri A2B obviously , what about lunch ? Any good vegetarian hotels after Vellore ?
Pretty much nothing after Vellore. You pass through villages until you hit Tindivanam.

If you have breakfast at A2B by say 7 or 7.30 , you should be able to hit Pondy by 1pm (lunch time) worst case.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:17   #1310
J.Ravi

Quote:
Any good vegetarian hotels after Vellore ?
Hotel Aryaas, Vellore bypass, below NH 46 flyover, at the junction of Katpadi road and NH 46.

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-dsc00925.jpg

Hotel Aaryas Garden, NH 45 Tindivanam bypass.

(2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 16:46   #1311
BHPian

Hi guys, I am planning a trip to Pondicherry along with a friend who is flying in from Delhi. I believe there are hardly any flights to Pondi, so he'll be landing in Chennai (Since it is closest to Pondi ) Now my question is which of the following route is recommended Bangalore- Pondicherry -Chennai or Bangalore- Chennai- pondicherry. How are the roads from Chennai to Pondicherry ?

Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 16:47   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Unless you intend to tank up at the bunk adjacent to A2B, I'd recommend the Hotel Sree Saravana Bhavan instead, which is a few km's after A2B. Food is better IMO and there are no crazy queues.

Here is a link to the location:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...9d76bdac70!4b1

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 9th January 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Clarified about bunk
BackInTheFold is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 17:39   #1313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
Hi guys, I am planning a trip to Pondicherry along with a friend who is flying in from Delhi. I believe there are hardly any flights to Pondi, so he'll be landing in Chennai (Since it is closest to Pondi ) Now my question is which of the following route is recommended Bangalore- Pondicherry -Chennai or Bangalore- Chennai- pondicherry. How are the roads from Chennai to Pondicherry ?
If you have to pick him up, you dont have an option but to drive to Chennai. But if thats not a requirement then, you dont need to go to Chennai.

Bangalore-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:16   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Unless you intend to tank up at the bunk adjacent to A2B, I'd recommend the Hotel Sree Saravana Bhavan instead, which is a few km's after A2B. Food is better IMO and there are no crazy queues.

Here is a link to the location:
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...9d76bdac70!4b1
Not very particular about the taste of the food , I will be happy with 2 idllys and a cup of strong coffee.
Old 12th January 2015, 06:50   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post

Thanks
Chennai to Pondicherry is via Chengelpet by pass and Tindivanam. 4 lane roads all the way.
Old 19th January 2015, 21:26   #1316
Team-BHP Support

Planning to do Bangalore to Pondy the coming weekend, what is the latest update. Prefer a peaceful "good roads" drive even if the distance is lil more. Please advice.
Old 19th January 2015, 22:15   #1317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Planning to do Bangalore to Pondy the coming weekend, what is the latest update. Prefer a peaceful "good roads" drive even if the distance is lil more. Please advice.
The tried and tested:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry.

- The usual 4-6 lane from Bangalore-Arcot. Krishnagiri-Vellore is a nice 6-lane.
- Arcot-Tindivanam is a decent 2-lane SH.
- Tindivanam-Pondicherry is again a brilliant 4-lane.
- Use bypasses at Cheyyar and Vandavasi and Tindivanam.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 10:48   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will suggest two options

Via Hosur, krishnagiri, Vellore, Arcot, cheyyar, vandavasi and Tindivanam

Via Hosur, krishnagiri, Vellore, Kanchipuram, Chengelpet and Tindivanam. In the second route except for Kanchipuram-Chengelpet stretch which is a pretty good 2 lane road (with traffic), rest of the route is a 4/6 lane combo.

Of course after paying toll at Chennasamudram, the road till Kanchipuram exit is patchy that can result in a bumpy drive.
Old 20th January 2015, 12:14   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jaggu use the route mentioned by ampere. I did the same route in December 2014 and was an absolute hoot to drive. What you taking, the ST eh ?
Old 20th January 2015, 12:56   #1320
BHPian

Thanks Ampere for the route. I was about to post the query for the same for this weekend visit to Pondi. Don't know when are they going to fix the Thiruvanamali route. I always prefer taking the country-side routes to the lorry-laden highways.

OT: I'm sure there will be a lot of BHPians going to Pondicherry or Chennai on Saturday morning. Why don't we decide a stop and meet up? Let's McD's or A2B?

Most Viewed