Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 22:55   #1381
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Just got a day to go for my Bangalore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Bangalore ride, but there seems to be a small hitch in my plan and I may not be able to make it to Chennai. As of now, I am keeping my options open but wanted to find out if I don't go to Chennai and rode back to Bangalore, how about coming back via the Pondicherry - Cuddalore - Kallakurichi - Salem - Dharmapuri - Bangalore road. How is the condition of this stretch? Are the roads well laid and hassle free?
Old 21st May 2015, 22:58   #1382
BHPian

The road from ulundurpet to bangalore via Salem is superb but the stretch between cuddalore to ulundurpet hasn't been in the best shape since 6 months.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:18   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
but the stretch between cuddalore to ulundurpet hasn't been in the best shape since 6 months.
Thanks zombiedriver! Any road work / widening going on with a lot of deviations or are the roads pothole ridden and unevenly surfaced? Just checking if it is worth taking the trouble to go on this route. Since I am coming via Krishnagiri - Arcot - Vandavasi route to Pondi, wanted to take a different route on my return journey.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:21   #1384
BHPian

It's been a couple of months since I've been on that route. At that point it was pot hole ridden. I've been using the pondy tindivanam villupuram route the last few times because we travel with our dog and he was very uncomfortable. I am considering using that route again this Saturday, if I do end up doing that I'll update this thread with the latest condition. It's only a 60km stretch and on a bike it shouldn't cause too many problems
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:22   #1385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Thanks zombiedriver! Any road work / widening going on with a lot of deviations or are the roads pothole ridden and unevenly surfaced? Just checking if it is worth taking the trouble to go on this route. Since I am coming via Krishnagiri - Arcot - Vandavasi route to Pondi, wanted to take a different route on my return journey.
Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Vandasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Bangalore is as smooth as it can get provided, you take the bypasses for Tindivanam, Vandavasi and Cheyyar.

Even with a 100km of SH, one can cover the whole distance in about 5.5/6 hours at a sedate pace.

PS: Please refer to the previous posts for Google links to the bypasses.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:34   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pondicherry-Tindivanam-Vandasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Krishnagiri-Bangalore is as smooth as it can get provided, you take the bypasses for Tindivanam, Vandavasi and Cheyyar.
PS: Please refer to the previous posts for Google links to the bypasses.
Thanks ampere! I was actually enquiring about the Cuddalore - Ulundurpet - Salem route for my return journey to Bangalore.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:37   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Since I am coming via Krishnagiri - Arcot - Vandavasi route to Pondi, wanted to take a different route on my return journey.
If you want to try a different route, you could try this:

Pondy-Viluppuram-Tiruvannamalai-Thandrambattu-Thanipadi-Harur-Kambainallur-Karimangalam-NH7-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore.

Excellent and scenic countryside roads, should be perfect for a ride!
luvurride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 23:42   #1388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks ampere! I was actually enquiring about the Cuddalore - Ulundurpet - Salem route for my return journey to Bangalore.
So basically you dont want to take the same route on the way back. If thats the case, then take what luvurride mentions. Please note, Pondicherry-Villupuram is a bit narrow.

Once you cross Tiruvannamalai, you wont find any hotels to break till you hit the four lane at Karimangalam.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 06:34   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Just got a day to go for my Bangalore - Pondicherry - Chennai - Bangalore ride, but there seems to be a small hitch in my plan and I may not be able to make it to Chennai. As of now, I am keeping my options open but wanted to find out if I don't go to Chennai and rode back to Bangalore, how about coming back via the Pondicherry - Cuddalore - Kallakurichi - Salem - Dharmapuri - Bangalore road. How is the condition of this stretch? Are the roads well laid and hassle free?
There is no point taking Cuddalore route for Salem. The best bet would be Villupuram->Ulundurpet->Kallakurichi->Salem. You would witness heavy traffic in Pondy-Villupuram road (40km approx) but once you cross Villupuram town its four lane all the way till Salem.
ns94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2015, 20:43   #1390
BHPian

Just back from my Pondicherry ride and this is the update on the road condition from Bangalore to Pondi.

Onward journey route taken:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-NH45 towards Trichi then NH 66 onwards to Pondicherrry.
Bangalore - Arcot: 4 lane highway and super roads
Once you turn right from Arcot and take the Cheyyar - Tindivanam road, it is a single lane road that goes through villages. At every village junction there are speed breakers. The roads are narrow and a few bad patches near some junctions. At some places there are no signs in English to direct you on the correct road, so if you can't read Tamil, it is advisable to stop and ask the local folk if you are on the correct path.

On my return leg I took the Pondicherry - Vilupuram - Ulundurpet - Salem - Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri - Bangalore route. The distance is longer be around 50 kms, but it is all highways from Vilupuram all the way to Bangalore. From Pondi to Villupuram it is around 45 kms, but the roads are in very bad condition and it took me close to 1 hr 15 minutes to cross this stretch. From Vilupuram till Salem, the highway roads are two lane in most places, but the suddenly narrow down to single lane roads and that is when you must be careful since people coming from the opposite direction tend to come on to your lane when overtaking. From Salem till Bangalore it is a four lane highway all the way to Bangalore.
Old 24th May 2015, 22:50   #1391
Team-BHP Support

In fact per my opinion, just for the fun of taking the new route, Villupuram-Uludurpet-Salem-Bangalore may not that much of a fun. Its just plain four lane and distance you cover is much higher too.
Old 25th May 2015, 06:48   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Vilupuram till Salem, the highway roads are two lane in most places, but the suddenly narrow down to single lane roads and that is when you must be careful since people coming from the opposite direction tend to come on to your lane when overtaking. From Salem till Bangalore it is a four lane highway all the way to Bangalore.
I too observed this while going to Kumbakonam from Bangalore. Certain stretches of NH79 are 2 lane roads and then we have the usual 4 lane roads.
Old 25th May 2015, 16:12   #1393
BHPian

I just got back from Bangalore - Pondy weekend trip.

Road Conditions
===========
We took Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar bypass -Vandavasi bypass-Tindivanam bypass -NH45-NH 66 onwards to Pondicherrry.
Highway till Arcot is 4 lane each side, very smooth
From Arcot (Highway 5) to Tindivanam is 1 lane each side with no divider.
Road surface is smooth except very small stretches of broken patches
and speed bumps in village area.
Google Maps was very accurate, without Google would have got lost easily
since signboards are not everywhere from Arcont to Tindivanam.

Food stops
=======
Good eating joints till Arcot like A2B, Saravana Bhavan, Ambur Biryani, etc
From Arcot to Tindivanam, no food joints

Entry Tax for Cabs
===========
There is Rs1k entry tax for Tamilnadu and 1k entry tax for Pondicherry.

Took 6 hrs(excluding food stops) from Bangalore to Pondicherry.

Cheers
rawnak
Old 30th June 2015, 22:43   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawnak View Post
We took Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar bypass -Vandavasi bypass-Tindivanam bypass -NH45-NH 66 onwards to Pondicherrry.
Highway till Arcot is 4 lane each side, very smooth
Thanks rawnak.
Does anyone know the condition of road from Arcot to Kanchi? I may need to drive down on the weekend.
Old 1st July 2015, 07:13   #1395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
Thanks rawnak.
Does anyone know the condition of road from Arcot to Kanchi? I may need to drive down on the weekend.
The best option for you will be to go to Vellore, join the NH, proceed along the same till you take an exit to Kanchi. You can expect traffic in kanchi town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks