Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2022, 10:35   #2131
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Recently my sister family from Hosur took this road (via Mathur, Chengam) to go to T. Malai temple and found to be ok except few places where construction activity was going on.. overall they were satisfied.

T Malai bypass:. From Polur road to Kallakuruchi road already circular road is available. Connection between Kallakuruchi road and Chengam (thus Krishnagiri) road was under construction and looks like drivable.. latest condition may be updated.

Next time when I visit, surely I will take Chengam, Mathur Road.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 15:10. Reason: Minor formatting changes. Please use spaces after punctuation marks, not before. Thanks!
Old 26th October 2022, 14:22   #2132

I travelled from Bangalore to Pondicherry on October 22, 2022.

I stay near Indiranagar, so I was considering whether to leave through Hosur or through Kolar. After reading all the replies on this thread, I settled on the Kolar route. One of my primary worries was losing time at the Attibele tollbooth, considering that this is the Diwali weekend and many people may be heading out (last year, I got stuck here for nearly an hour during the weekend before Christmas).

The route I took was: Hoskote > Kolar > Mulbagal > Chittoor > Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam > Pondicherry. My remarks on this route are as follows:

- We started at 5.15 AM and reached around 12.30 PM. We stopped a couple of times for a total of 20-25 minutes.
- We lost significant time around Kolar due to having to slow down due to extremely heavy fog. Since out hotel was in White Town, we lost quite a bit of time in traffic in Pondicherry as well.
- The roads in Karnataka were okay, nothing great. Between Mulbagal and Chittoor, there were a number of bumpy spots near culverts where the car can get thrown up and down (I counted about 5 such spots). Although, it seems like they are relaying the road in some of these areas. I'd like to thank the other members who pointed this out, so I was on the lookout for them as soon as I saw a culvert.
- The roads in Andhra Pradesh were terrible (worse than Bangalore roads). It felt like we were off-roading for significant parts of this portion. In fact, the taxi driver in front of me just decided to go completely off the road, and just drive on the mud portion to the left.
- You should constantly keep an eye on Google Maps. Even though I specifically selected this route, it constantly tried to reroute me through the Hosur route up till Tin Factory. After Vandavasi, rather than take us through the main state highway, Maps took us through some small villages (Sembur > Sogathur > Ramadamudram). While the quality of roads were great, it was one lane only and we had to go off the road in many parts to allow others to pass. However, the scenery was fantastic, and I'm a little glad that Maps did this.

On the way back, we decided to take the route suggested by the majority of members. This route was Tindivanam > Gingee > Chepet > Arani > Kannamangalam > Pallikonda > Ambur > Krishnagiri > Hosur.
- We started around 5:05 AM, and reached Bangalore around 11.20 AM. We stopped three times for a total of 30 minutes.
- Maps was again trying to send us through Tiruvannamalai and Chengam. But based on the recommendation from others, I decided to take the Gingee > Arani route. After Tindivanam, I manually set my destination to Vellore so I would get the correct turn, and once I was sure that Maps wouldn't try any redirection shenanigans, I re-set the destination to our home.
- The roads between Gingee and Arani are fanstastic, but only two lane and without a divider for most part. However, there were hardly any vehicles on the road at this hour. I missed the bypass around Arani and ended up having to go through the town itself, but since we reached the town before 9.00 AM on the day after Diwali, we moved without too much trouble.
- The section of the Bangalore-Chennai highway between Vellore and Krishnagiri is out of this world. I just switched on cruise control and sat back. Speeds were easily 100 KPH+ through this whole section.

Vehicle: Polo GT TSI 1.0 litre.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 15:08. Reason: Breaking up some long lines so the post loads well on the mobile site :)
Flying_circus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 21:33   #2133

Hello! everyone.
Need new updates on Bangalore - Puducherry road conditions.
It is going to be my first roadtrip to Pondicherry. And the number of routes suggested here on T-BHP has left me even more confused.

Journey Start : KORAMANGALA
Passengers : BACHELORS
Vehicles : 2 [Carens & Ciaz(ground clearance!)]
Date : 21 NOV

Suggestions needed on following 3 routes:

1. BLR > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore(Pallikonda) > Arani > Chepet> Gingee>
Tindivanam > Pondicherry
(Apparently most preferred route; DISTANCE:360 k.m.)

2. BLR > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore(Pallikonda)> Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam > Pondicherry
(LONGEST but mostly Highways; DISTANCE : 368 k.m.)

3. BLR > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Gingee > Tindivanam > Pondicherry
(SHORTEST but unaware about recent road conditions; DISTANCE 302 k.m.)

ALSO feel free to advice on Accomodation (Villas) for 7-8 adults in Pondicherry
Old 17th November 2022, 22:21   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
2. BLR > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore(Pallikonda)> Arcot > Cheyyar > Vandavasi > Tindivanam > Pondicherry
Just take this route, you will cover it in lesser time than any of the other alternatives. Make sure to take the vandavasi by-pass, google maps doesn't navigate via that for some reason.

Why I am suggesting this? I do frequent travels between Bangalore n Pondi. My lowest on this route has been 5 hours. Beautiful scenery and very nice roads.

Also, if you are planning to stay around Auroville, then would suggest to take the cut just before the last toll on left hand side, it will save you kms and times both.
BudgetFailure is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:31   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfire View Post
Hello! everyone.

3. BLR > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Chengam > Tiruvannamalai > Gingee > Tindivanam > Pondicherry
You should check out the Bangalore Tiruvannamalai route thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-33.html (Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries)

Up to TVmalai, the road is not what it used to be. It's a fantastic road and easily doable.
Old 4th December 2022, 09:55   #2136

Hi all,

I am planning an East Coast trip next week.
  1. Whitefield to Chennai on December 10, 7:30 am
    via Whitefield-Kolar-(BF at Maiyas?)-Mulbagal-Palamaner-(stop at Nandi Food Plaza/CCD)-Chittoor by pass-(Lunch at Amirtha restaurant)-Ranipet-(stop at Saravana Bhavan/MM Legacy)-Sriperumbudur-Chennai
  2. Chennai to Mahabalipuram to Pondicherry on December 12, 8:00 am to 12 noon
    via ECR
  3. Pondicherry to Whitefield on December 14, 8:00 am
    via Pondicherry-Tindivanam-(BF at Oorvasi)-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Ranipet-(Lunch at Amirtha restaurant)-Chittoor by pass-Palamaner-Mulbagal-Kolar-Whitefield

I read on this thread that Maiyas food and restrooms have both deteriorated in recent times, hence looking for a better alternative nearby.

Any comments/pitfalls on this route?

Any other suggestions for good restaurants with clean restrooms on the return journey? Any suggestions for a good restroom stop between Vandavasi and Arcot?

P.S.: This is my first long journey. My previous "records" are 380km in 2 days (Mysore and back - 4 months back) and 260km in a single day (Maddur and back - 1 year ago).
Old 4th December 2022, 13:07   #2137
BHPian

Adyar Ananda Bhavan at Arcot - this is on the highway itself
Hotel Saravana Bhavan at Vellore - opposite the bus stand

Both have good food variety and clean restrooms.

Have a good and safe trip
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:53   #2138

Hello BHPians, I am planning Pondy-Mahabalipuram-Chennai trip from December 17-21. Considering the current cyclone situation is it a good idea to cancel the trip or it should not matter if cyclone gets over by next two days. I am travelling with Wife and 3Y old daughter. Will the cyclone bring excess waste/debris to the shore? Please guide me. I am not worried about cancellations but want a safe and enjoyable trip with family.

I know this is not a ideal place to post this question but didnot find a better plae than this. Excuse me for this.
Old 12th December 2022, 12:12   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen4ru View Post
Pondy-Mahabalipuram-Chennai trip from December 17-21
We might see on-and-off rains or a proper system. Nothing is clear at this point. Either way not a great time for beach hopping.

Madras-Mahabs was on firing line last weekend. Pondy wasn't affected much.

Prime areas get cleaned up quickly. Interiors may not. Not sure about beaches.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 07:49   #2140

I am planning a trip to pondicherry in the upcoming weekend and looking for suggestions on which route to take. I stay near Avalahalli, Old Madras Road which is a few kms before the Hoskote toll booth. GMaps suggesting the following route since it is a shorter one for me and also I don't need to go through the city traffic.

BLR - Hoskote - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Arcot - Cheyyar -Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondy

However based on previous reports looks like road condition is not great on the Andhra side of the highway.

So am thinking for alternative through Hosur which will add around 40 odd kms to the trip but looks like much better road condition.
BLR - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Pondy

Please suggest if it's worth the extra time and distance to use the second route.Planning to leave around 6am.

Thanks.
Rizwan
Old 25th December 2022, 00:39   #2141

Hi Everyone,

After going through the queries of Bangalore to Pondicherry over multiple route suggestions:

Would like to post the question again just to be double sure:

Suggestions needed on following 3 routes (copying from someone else's post since we are planning to depart from Haralur and Hosur routes seem to the shortlisted ones.

Tindivanam > Pondicherry

For 3, Have read and watched on this quite a lot, but wanted to double confirm if this is the most optimum route:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5421033 (Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5421151 (Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5437114 (Bangalore - Thiruvannamalai : Route Queries)

But any update on bypassing Tiruvannamalai
Last update seems to be this from this:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ml#post5425409 (Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries)
T Malai bypass:. From Polur road to Kallakuruchi road already circular road is available. Connection between Kallakuruchi road and Chengam (thus Krishnagiri) road was under construction and looks like drivable.. latest condition may be updated.
Old 26th December 2022, 08:02   #2142

Update from drives on 23rd and 25th Dec, Bangalore to Pondicherry and back.

Routes for reference

Quote:
Tindivanam > Pondicherry

Took route 2 while going to Pondicherry. It's functional, but post Vellore the road has some bad patches, and a few potholes here and there. You can keep up highway speeds, but it's going to be an anxiety filled ride because whenever you look at the road ahead you'll wonder if it's just the top layer of the road that's gone or an actual, tyre busting pothole. Also, unsure if maps was playing games or i missed a turn, but ended up on a ~10km stretch near cheyyur which was a proper single lane Village road. Anything more than a car and a motorcycle side by side means someone is going to have to pull off the road a bit.

Route 1 have taken multiple times in the past, and used it on the return trip. I'd still recommend this one just for road quality (I'll gamble with having to suffer through town traffic in Arani rather than having to deal with a flat tyre). The state highway is smooth as butter, with the added benefit of an asphalt shoulder in most places, so overtaking local bike traffic and such is an ease when they yield.
In the past i did it in about 5 hours, but between rains and having left pondicherry at about noon, ended up with a 6.5 hr trip (one fuel stop in Arani, and stretching my legs around Krishnagiri)

Fuel: XP95 isn't an issue on the highways. There's a pump here a few km before your turn off towards Arani, can refill there, or in Arani. After that i haven't really explored much on the way, but that stop should be enough to tide you through to Pondicherry. Can easily find XP95 in the city.
Old 26th December 2022, 12:44   #2143

Traveled from Pondicherry to Bangalore via Tindivanam-Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot-Ranipet-Palamaner-Mulbagal-Hoskote-Whitefield on December 25th 2022.

Start Time Auroville - 8.04 AM
Reached Whitefield - 4.45 PM

Drive Time - 6 h 37 mins, remaining time was spent in multiple small breaks. This was with non-stop rain throughout the journey of 360 odd kms.

Roads were good in TN, once you cross the border there are a few diversions & broken patches on NH40. After reaching NH69/NH75 it was a breeze, less traffic & can easily cruise at 90-100 kmph.

My 2 cents -
For anyone living in Whitefield/East BLR, would recommend this route vs the Hosur-Krishnagiri one - it's less stressful to drive on this stretch. Only need to plan breaks accordingly.
Breakfast was at Hotel Aishwarya Bhavan, Tindivanam is highly recommended
Lunch at Woody's Mulbagal
revvytorques is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 07:56   #2144

I travelled yesterday (26th December) from Bengaluru to Puducherry and think the below details will help other members planning a visit around new year.

Followed Google map suggested route: Krishnagiri -> Mathur -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee -> Tindivanam - PY. (306 KM, driving time ~6 hrs).

Highly recommend this route. Most of the road is newly laid, less traffic, going through some small roads but overall pretty smooth. Did not come across any major bad stretch.

Started 6:15 am from south Bangalore and reached 1:30 with 2 decent breaks.

There was only one issue where an underpass ( after~4 hrs of drive) had a bit of water clogged and some sedans were turning back. However my Scorpio N had no issues negotiating it, though I am sure there would have been detours.
Old 28th December 2022, 23:35   #2145
BHPian

Google map suggested route: Krishnagiri -> Mathur -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee -> Tindivanam - PY. (306 KM, driving time ~6 hrs).
------------------------
I drove on this route today and I did not like the fact that it is just a two lane highway. I would advise others to avoid this route and select the other alternatives if they are 4 lanes. Speed is more limited on this route and a little unsafe at some points due to poor signage.

Last edited by bangaloreguy : 28th December 2022 at 23:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks