Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 13:31   #2086
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

If the Vandavasi-Cheyyar-Arcot is even decent, it better to stick to it. Leads one straight to the 4-lane with decent bypasses for both Vandavasi and Cheyyar.
Old 7th June 2022, 14:18   #2087

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
How bad is it?

Arani-Arcot is fantastic, you don't need to enter Arani in that case. Only problem is you have to endure Arcot town traffic. Not Bazaar level bad, but roads are narrow.
Arani to Kaniyambadi is good. From then on there are a few small villages along the way which slow you down and the road is comparable to the Arcot- Cheyyar road in terms of the width and quality. So instead of doing 25km along this road from Kaniyambadi to Pallikonda, it might be better to do 12 km from Kaniyambadi to Vellore and join the highway and travel an extra 8 kilometres on good roads.
sudhi29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 19:20   #2088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhi29 View Post
So instead of doing 25km along this road from Kaniyambadi to Pallikonda, it might be better to do 12 km from Kaniyambadi to Vellore and join the highway and travel an extra 8 kilometres on good roads.
After living in Vellore for close to 10 years, during and around peak times, crossing through Vellore city will take at least 35-40 mins (adukkamparai to the Bangalore highway). Congested roads and poorly regulated traffic don't help as well. If late night or early morning that going through the city might be ok.

Stick to kaniyambadi - pallikonda to bypass Vellore completely😉
vandemanw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2022, 19:32   #2089

This is the route I plan to take my trip to Pondicherry in a couple of days. any last minute suggestions , tips , do's and dont's will definitely of great help. Are there any one who traveled very recently and how has been their experience?
Old 26th June 2022, 13:27   #2090
BHPian

We went to Pondicherry this past week; for some reason Google suggested that we take a diversion after Krishnagiri (which goes through Tirupathur). DO NOT take this road, I made the mistake and lost an hour.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th June 2022 at 10:10. Reason: Poorly typed post
salluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:52   #2091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
went to pondy this week, for some reason google suggests you to take a diversion after krishnagiri( which takes you thru tirupathur), DO NOT take this road, i did the mistake and took over an hour extra .
Where exactly is the road bad? Between bargur-Thirupathur, around singarapettai or between singarapettai and Tiruvannamalai?
Old 27th June 2022, 09:23   #2092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Where exactly is the road bad? Between bargur-Thirupathur, around singarapettai or between singarapettai and Tiruvannamalai?
Bargur-Thirupathur: The road itself isn't bad. It's a small village road and 2 cars crossing each other is difficult. We got stuck behind some school bus for 15 minutes.

When Google suggested taking a diversion, I ignored it, but it suggested it again on the next road. This got me confused.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th June 2022 at 17:09. Reason: Punctuation
Old 27th June 2022, 09:47   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Bargur-Thirupathur is relatively wider, it is Thirupathur-Singarapettai that is not quite wide. Roads are good in both sections but there are many speed-humps.

The roads around Singarapettai have been relaid, it is an easy ride almost all the way till Tiruvannamalai.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 11:37   #2094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
bargur-Thirupathur, the road itself isn't bad, it's a small village road, 2 cars crossing each other is difficult, we got stuck behind some school bus for 15 mins.

when google suggested taking the diversion, I ignored it, but it suggested it again on the next road. this got me confused.
Bit confused. I have travelled in this route few times. There is no road with smaller width ( where 2 cars cannot cross) between Pondy and Krishnagiri through this route. Yes in some places like Singarapettai junction to Chengam small portions being relaid. Bargur to Thirupathur or Thirupathur to Singarapettai roads are good ( ofcourse these roads gothrough villages which have bumpers )
Old 9th July 2022, 12:30   #2095
BHPian

Visited Sholingur from Pondy yesterday. This post is to explain latest road conditions and other facilities. We took Pondy-Tindivanum-Vandavasi-Arcot-Sholingur route. Upto Arcot it is the same route to Bengaluru. Road condition was mostly ok , can keep speed of 90 easily except few annoying bumpers in villages. Started around 5.30 am and reached Sholingur around 8.30 a.m. Car parking near the temple is available ( Rs 10/-) also free toilet facility.Need to climb 1300 steps. Ropecar is still under testing. For needy Palanquin( box carried by 2 people )available. Wife and SIL climbed full and returned after 4 hrs. ( Normally when I drive wife to temples , I don't visit the Sanctum but only wait outside. But here there is no place to wait at the top of the hill. So I returned after climbing 400 steps just test my fitness) . There are lot of monkeys and better carry anything in only in backpacks otherwise any other bags will be snatched.( Sticks are sold for Rs10 to choo them away).
Since my SIL's train from Arakkonam is at 4.30pm to Bengaluru, we visited Tiruttani Murugan temple also .( For Tiruttani from Sholingur neednot cross Arakkonam , can take left at Permalrajapet). Here car can go upto the temple. After taking lunch at Tiruttani itself , dropped SIL at station around 4 p.m. and returned to Pondy via Kanchi, Vandavasi, Tindivanam and reached Pondy around 7.30 p.m. Tiruttani-Arakkonam-Kanchi road widening process is going on and had lots of diversion without properly laid side road. If possible better to avoid this section for atleast one more year.
Old 2nd August 2022, 13:42   #2096
BHPian

Visited Pondicherry from Bangalore (July 29 to 31).

Read through the posts. Picked up the suggested route Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Pallikonda > Arani > Chepet > Gingee > Thindivanam > Pondicherry

Started at 7am and comfortably reached at 3pm. Roads are in good conditions.
Some narrow roads around Arani, but easily manageable.

Breakfast in Shoolagiri (many options there). Tolls cost just around 500+.

Returned in the same route. Depending on the time of the day, while returning, you can directly go to Vellore and join the highway, but might want to avoid it during peak traffic.

Please note, there is a check for liqour at Pondicherry Checkpost while exiting Pondicherry.
vinay.sathyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:18   #2097
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
Returned in the same route. Depending on the time of the day, while returning, you can directly go to Vellore and join the highway, but might want to avoid it during peak traffic.

Please note, there is a check for liqour at Pondicherry Checkpost while exiting Pondicherry.
Is it mandatory 100% checking or just random?
Old 2nd August 2022, 14:23   #2098
BHPian

I'm not very sure if its mandatory. It's probably random just like Goa.
We were 3 guys in the car, so prime candidate for checking. But i didn't read anyone mention checks, so i thought i would mention it.
Old 2nd August 2022, 19:22   #2099
BHPian

I was also checked twice. The first time on ECR, when driving from Pondicherry town towards the University. This time only my Dad and me were there and we were let go immediately on seeing that we did not have any bags with us.

The second time was when leaving on the highway towards Bangalore. Here, all my bags were opened and checked. I was with the entire family set (wife, 2 kids and parents) this time.
Old 3rd September 2022, 08:30   #2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
Visited Pondicherry from Bangalore (July 29 to 31).

Read through the posts. Picked up the suggested route Bangalore > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Pallikonda > Arani > Chepet > Gingee > Thindivanam > Pondicherry

Started at 7am and comfortably reached at 3pm. Roads are in good conditions.
Some narrow roads around Arani, but easily manageable.

Breakfast in Shoolagiri (many options there). Tolls cost just around 500+.

Thanks mate
I am planning to leave in an hour and will be taking the same route as recommended here.
Any super recommendations of stay/ to do in Pondicherry?

It is an impromptu trip so nothing is planned yet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks