Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 22:02   #2116
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Hi Everyone!

For people like me who like to visually see what the route looks like, i made a video of the complete route as captured from my Dashcam.
Have added map and route info. Please take look and let me know if it helps

Route taken: Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arani - Chepet - Gingee - Thindivanam - Pondicherry
vinay.sathyan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 08:56   #2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.sathyan View Post
Hi Everyone!

For people like me who like to visually see what the route looks like, i made a video of the complete route as captured from my Dashcam.
Have added map and route info. Please take look and let me know if it helps

https://Youtu.be/PSnzJ-5BeaI

Route taken: Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Arani - Chepet - Gingee - Thindivanam - Pondicherry
Thanks for sharing this. I am travelling in a few weeks and was really confused about which route to take. This has given me a good idea of what the route looks like. I am also leaning towards taking this route.
Old 27th September 2022, 19:19   #2118
BHPian

We did blr - mahabalipuram - pondicherry - blr.

Since we live in Indiranagar, we picked this:
Blr - Kolar - Ranipet - Walajapet - Oragadam - Tambram - Kelambakkam - Mahabalipuram

Mahabalipuram - Pondicherry was direct ECR route.

Return was what @ampere had suggested in an earlier thread, but took a deviation at Vandavasi towards Arcot-Ranipet.

Pondi - Tindivanam - Vandavasi - Cheyyar - Arcot - Ranipet - Mulbagal - Kolar - Blr

All roads were good except a small stretch in front of CMC Vellore.

Ranipet to Tambram is with a lot of diversions and reckless drivers (due to no lane markings).

Good food stops available on both routes.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 15:14. Reason: Minor formatting change to aid viewing on Mobile
Old 5th October 2022, 09:28   #2119

Took blr > krishnagiri > Ambur > arcot > vandavasi > Tindivanam > Pondy and same visa return.

Road was great all through with very little traffic. Be sure to get on the bypass roads though - I missed one and ended up a bit of time .

I took this route given we could stop at the A2B arcot for lunch. Had good restrooms as well. I couldn’t figure if the Arani route had such an option.
Old 5th October 2022, 12:36   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokcj View Post
I took this route given we could stop at the A2B arcot for lunch. Had good restrooms as well. I couldn’t figure if the Arani route had such an option.
I have not seen an A2B equivalent on the Arani route. But an option to consider is Hotel Saravana Bhavan at Vellore for lunch and then take right towards Arani. The HSB is just off the highway and opp the bus stand. But I prefer the Arcot, Vandavasi route myself.
Old 6th October 2022, 19:39   #2121
BHPian

As with all those road trip fans, I too have realized that 'Finding the best routes is as difficult, or even more, as finding good places to stay at tourist spots'. Options galore and unless rubber hits the road literally, one is always confused!
I am planning to drive down from Bangalore East to Pondicherry and back, for a 3 day trip by end October or end November, with family. We tend to enjoy our drive as much as our destination, and good food is as important as nice wide roads.

For the benefit of people like me, could anyone who is very familiar with the multiple road routes from Bangalore to Pondicherry, provide the pros & cons of these numerous routes, in terms of the below?

After Google searches & multiple travel blogs, I could find the below routes

3 routes through Tamil Nadu:

1. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Vaniyambadi -> Ambur -> Pallikonda -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

2. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Vaniyambadi -> Ambur -> Pallikonda -> Kannamangalam -> Arani -> Chepet -> Gingee -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

3. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

2 routes through AP-Tamil Nadu:

4. Bangalore -> Hoskote -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Chittoor -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

And an option with Mahabalipuram added & a drive on ECR!!

5. Bangalore -> Hoskote -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Chittoor -> Kanchipuram -> Chengalpattu -> Mahabalipuram -> Pondicherry

- Optimal Distance & average time (as of now)
- Good Road condition & wide enough to move about without getting stuck
- Good clean & trustworthy restaurants en-route, both ways

Looking forward to our first drive to Pondy
Old 6th October 2022, 21:09   #2122
Team-BHP Support

If you are in South Bangalore and plan to take Hosur road:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
1. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Vaniyambadi -> Ambur -> Pallikonda -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

If you are in North Bangalore and plan to take Old Madras road:
Quote:
4. Bangalore -> Hoskote -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Chittoor -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry

Quote:
- Optimal Distance & average time (as of now)
- Good Road condition & wide enough to move about without getting stuck
- Good clean & trustworthy restaurants en-route, both ways
Plan up to 6-7 hours. On the Old Madras road, take break before Chittoor. On the Hosur/Krishnagiri: There are many options. A2B/Sai Sangeeth/Sree Saravana Bhavan etc)
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 21:13   #2123
BHPian

Personally I'd recommend 1 for mostly good road conditions and food options. I have tried 2 and 3 as well earlier, but while they have their own charm, town traffic and roads is why I am not keen on them

Haven't done 4 in a long time now, so others here have to weigh in. Not used 5, so can't comment.

Have a good trip and let us know how your trip went.
vijaykr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 09:41   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh4u View Post
Bypasses most small towns and is the preferred route. You'll optimally use the 6-lane sections of Bangalore-Arcot and escape the WIP sections of NH4.

Quote:
2. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Vaniyambadi -> Ambur -> Pallikonda -> Kannamangalam -> Arani -> Chepet -> Gingee -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry
Goes through some small towns. Will take you through Arani town, which is a pain to negotiate. You can see the video from Vinay on post 2116 (Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries).

Arcot-Arani-Gingee is actually a wonderful wide 2-lane, wider than Arcot-Vandavasi-Gingee. On the flip side, you'll have to deal with one midsize town traffic.

Quote:
3. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Shoolagiri -> Krishnagiri -> Chengam -> Tiruvannamalai -> Gingee -> Tindivanam -> Pondicherry
Depends on your risk apetite for bad roads. Read Coyote's post 2114 (Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries).

Quote:
More or less route 1. Preferable if you are from East or North Bangalore.

Quote:
5. Bangalore -> Hoskote -> Kolar -> Mulbagal -> Chittoor -> Kanchipuram -> Chengalpattu -> Mahabalipuram -> Pondicherry
With WIP sections on Arcot-Kanchipuram and high traffic on Kanchipuram-Walajabad. This is waste of time for your destination.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 11:40   #2125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

With WIP sections on Arcot-Kanchipuram and high traffic on Kanchipuram-Walajabad. This is waste of time for your destination.
Planning to do a short trip to Pondi tomorrow - was also thinking of doing a short stop at Mahabalipuram along the way (either onwards or return journey).

What would be the best option to go to Pondi via Mahabalipuram?

Can I follow Pallikonda -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Mahabalipuram - how is the road between Vandavasi & Mahabalipuram.
Old 7th October 2022, 12:43   #2126

Quote:
Took this route (starting from HAL side at 6:30am) and traffic was very less [ except at Attibele toll - where you could get stuck depending on the time at which you leave Bangalore]. There are multiple food options near Krishnagiri. There is an A2B at Arcot which is quite good.
ashokcj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 21:11   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACe_10 View Post
Can I follow Pallikonda -> Vellore -> Arcot -> Cheyyar -> Vandavasi -> Mahabalipuram
There are 3 routes

Kanchipuram 76th km exit-Military Road - Walajabad - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram

Shortest route. Military Road-Walajabad is traffic prone stretch. Recent update (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries) from GeeTee TSI is positive.

Sunguvarchatram - Sriperumbudur Sipcot/SH120 - Oragadam - Singaperumalkoil - Chengalpattu - Mahabalipuram

Both routes from Sunguvarchatram to Oragadam are good. Good 4-lane till SP Koil. There is a railway crossing at Singaperumalkoil, it is generally ok except peak evening time when it is a royal pain to cross.

Sunguvarchatram - Oragadam - Vandalur - Kelambakkam - Kovalam - ECR - Mahabalipuram

This route is fullydivider separated with traffic points at Padappai, Vandalur, Kelambakkam. Moderate suburban traffic between Vandalur - Kelambakkam - Kovalam (can do 60-70).

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 15:15. Reason: Minor formatting change to aid viewing on mobile
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 14:16   #2128
BHPian

Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Mathur- Chengam- Tiruvannamalai- Tindivanam still the best route to Pondy.
Drove this morning from Bangalore central to Pondicherry via Tiruvannamalai. Started from home at 5:40 am, crossed Madiwala at 6:00 am, krishnagiri toll at 7:05, Mathur at 7:30, Chengam at 8:15 am, Tiruvannamalai at 9:10 am. Tindivanam bypass at 10:30 am. This was non stop, since I was travelling with my baby, and we don’t stop when she’s asleep. Kept the speed below 100 throughout.
Vehicle: Honda city

Points to note:
1. The 2 lane sections are fantastic except for the short sub 50 m patches (maybe 5-6 of these between krishnagiri to chengam). In between this sections can keep up 80 kmph with normal driving.
2. There are new bypasses being constructed for most of the towns in these routes. They seem to be almost completed. Travel time will be shortened further once the work is over
3. For those proceeding towards Pondicherry, this is still an excellent route. I covered Madiwala to Pondicherry Auroville bakery in 5 h 15 mins (including a 15 min break)
4. Possible places to stop: Reliance and nayara energy petrol pumps around TVM are pretty good. Chola hotel and resorts is a decent option too (ksrtc Bangalore Volvos stop here for break)
5. Some bottlenecks: Getting through Tiruvannamalai city traffic is a Pain. There is no bypass. Some sections after Chengam and after Tiruvannamalai (about 4-5 km) in total are under construction and will take time to cross but do able in a sedan.

I honestly don’t see the point of taking other routes via Chittoor/vellore/Tirupattur at this point. They range from 20-50 km more distance than this route, have more traffic and more bottlenecks.
vandemanw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 10:12   #2129

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
Bangalore- Krishnagiri- Mathur- Chengam- Tiruvannamalai- Tindivanam still the best route to Pondy.
Looks like the Thiruvanamallai route is almost there to be taken on regular basis!!! Thanks for the update.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th October 2022 at 10:19. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
Old 16th October 2022, 11:38   #2130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemanw View Post
5. Some bottlenecks: Getting through Tiruvannamalai city traffic is a Pain. There is no bypass. Some sections after Chengam and after Tiruvannamalai (about 4-5 km) in total are under construction and will take time to cross but do able in a sedan.
Great update! But TVM bypass was the important. Surprised they skipped this one!

EDIT: This does seem like a bypass for TVM (still coming up I guess?)

Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-screenshot-20221016-11.42.59-am.png

Last edited by ampere : 16th October 2022 at 11:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks