Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2016, 11:25   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Add to it numerous housing development projects. In other words, ECR has lost its charm! We do have some pleasant memories down that lane, but was totally shocked with how it has turned out to be!

I have always felt that instead of them touching the ECR and its charm, should've tried to expand OMR.
Totally agree. ECR lost its charm till Mamallapuram. For me, i felt like driving in city traffic after Mayajaal/Toll. In the name of road expansions, we are losing greenery in very fast pace without compensating it back to mother nature ! One fine day,even this new 4L road will be insufficient to handle traffic, but that may be too late to plant a tree after completely running out of space with shops and very tall rise buildings.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 29th February 2016 at 11:29.
Old 4th March 2016, 14:49   #1517
BHPian

Planned to drive Bangalore - Pondicherry - Bangalore next week, gone through previous posts and see that most recommended route is -
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Puducherry

However, I would be starting from T.C.Palya beyond K.R.Puram lake on the Old Madras road, I am thinking going to Hosur road would be a task so why not take the following route -
Bangalore(T C Palya) - Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Ranipet - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Puducherry

Last I drove on Old Madras road was 2 years back while doing Bangalore - Tirumala.

Any suggestions?
Old 4th March 2016, 15:05   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Planned to drive Bangalore - Pondicherry - Bangalore next week, gone through previous posts and see that most recommended route is -
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Puducherry

However, I would be starting from T.C.Palya beyond K.R.Puram lake on the Old Madras road, I am thinking going to Hosur road would be a task so why not take the following route -
Bangalore(T C Palya) - Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Ranipet - Arcot - Cheyyar - Vandavasi - Tindivanam - Puducherry

Last I drove on Old Madras road was 2 years back while doing Bangalore - Tirumala.

Any suggestions?
Yes, you can. The roads are good. Exactly same question was asked and i replied in Post# 1512 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3918939) Of late, i noticed there is too much traffic between KR Puram to Mulbagal/KA border checkpost than how it was 2 years ago before the tolls were operational.

However, as i mentioned in my previous post, between KA/AP border till Ranipet, the roads are 2L and you may need higher attention/driving effort compared to 4L/6L driving. May be you can take outer ring road to reach silk board and then drive towards Hosur-Krishnagiri-Arcot and then join 2L beyond Arcot.

The good part is, the 2L roads from Arcot to Tindivanam are not heavy in traffic so should be easy enough.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 4th March 2016 at 15:07.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2016, 15:11   #1519
BHPian

Thank you Ravi.
Then, I will go ahead with Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Ranipet route. Depending upon my experience I will decide to take the same route back or do the Arcot - Krishnagiri - Hosur route.
Old 4th March 2016, 18:53   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Ravi.
Then, I will go ahead with Kolar - Mulbagal - Chittoor - Ranipet route. Depending upon my experience I will decide to take the same route back or do the Arcot - Krishnagiri - Hosur route.
Since you stay in T C Palya, it makes all the more sense to drive via Old Madras Road. After crossing Bangarupalyam village watch out for a Y shaped junction wherein you have to take the right. Then further again the road branches into a left and right. In this case you have to take the right that leads to Vellore while the left takes you to Chennai.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2016, 15:58   #1521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Since you stay in T C Palya, it makes all the more sense to drive via Old Madras Road. After crossing Bangarupalyam village watch out for a Y shaped junction wherein you have to take the right.
Just to clarify on this more, it is not exactly after Bangarupalayam. You will end up driving atleast 15+ kms after Bangarupalayam to hit the Y junction.

Watch for Coffee day on your right and Tirupati Bypass road on your left. Once you cross the Tirupati Bypass road, in next few seconds you will see the Y junction suresh is mentioning. The left goes inside Chittoor town and right is Chittoor Bypass towards Chennai which is the road you need to take.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 19:49   #1522
BHPian

Thank you Suresh and Ravi.

After taking Chittoor bypass, I should proceed towards Ranipet / Arcot or is there another route via Vellore.
Old 7th March 2016, 20:05   #1523
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After taking Chittoor bypass, I should proceed towards Ranipet / Arcot or is there another route via Vellore.
At Chittoor, just after the coffee day outlet turn right and keep going straight, there are multiple diversions marked for katpadi, Vellore etc but just ignore them.
You finally reach Ranipet where you will see a junction with a high mast light. Turn right here and you should be heading towards arcot (I think the road will take you below the NH 46 Chennai road). Going straight at this junction in Ranipet will take you to walajahpet and merge with Nh46 towards Chennai so don't miss this turn. I have not used this route to arcot but this is from my experience of driving to/from Chennai.

Last edited by NPV : 7th March 2016 at 20:07.
Old 7th March 2016, 22:17   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Suresh and Ravi.

The difference is hardly 10 kms to reach Arcot, but IMO you are better off going via Ranipet towards Arcot/Cheyyar rather than getting into Katpadi & Vellore towns and getting out to join NH.

https://goo.gl/maps/tUqYGdPXfo32

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 7th March 2016 at 22:19.
Old 21st March 2016, 11:04   #1525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
The new A2B at Arcot is well located as a mid point break for those who are traveling to Pondy
Ravi -can you share exact location of this A2B? I will be driving down this weekend to Pondy and my usual pitstop has been the CCD after pallikonda toll. If there is an A2B just before the deviation to Cheyyar, then nothing like it.
Old 21st March 2016, 12:11   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Ravi -can you share exact location of this A2B? I will be driving down this weekend to Pondy and my usual pitstop has been the CCD after pallikonda toll. If there is an A2B just before the deviation to Cheyyar, then nothing like it.
Here you go.

https://goo.gl/maps/AGinbd8q5Sn

Yes, it is just about a kilometer before exiting NH46 towards cheyyar. Watchout for a church adjacent to A2B. Also keep left as soon as you cross the flyover bridge / Ratnagiri Murugan temple which comes on your left while traveling from Bangalore.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st March 2016 at 12:13.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 12:32   #1527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Watchout for a church adjacent to A2B
Thanks Ravi. I know the church & will keep a lookout for the A2B
Old 21st March 2016, 13:01   #1528
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A much better alternative to A2B will be Sai Sangeet located ideally about 150km from Bangalore. Good thing is they open very early before 6 and have all breakfast items available at that time.
Details here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ueries-95.html

Last edited by NPV : 21st March 2016 at 13:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 13:22   #1529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A much better alternative to A2B will be Sai Sangeet located ideally about 150km from Bangalore
I usually make 2 pitstops while driving to chennai or pondy - 1st is just before Shoolagiri at the old kamat - now some other restaurant has taken its place but still the restrooms are well maintained. 2nd usually is the CCD after pallikonda toll but now want to check if the A2B is good enough
Old 21st March 2016, 14:07   #1530
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I usually make 2 pitstops while driving to chennai or pondy - 1st is just before Shoolagiri at the old kamat - now some other restaurant has taken its place but still the restrooms are well maintained. 2nd usually is the CCD after pallikonda toll but now want to check if the A2B is good enough
Most A2B's are fine with some being very neat and some not maintained so well and the reason could be the excessive footfalls it sees. Food is quite decent at most outlets. However, the Sai Sangeet food is excellent and they have a very nice campus with good restrooms, some shopping options as well. Kids and family will love this place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks