Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 15:24   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Can anyone suggest which is the best way to opt for, i need to travel to pondicherry from Bangalore (Indiranagar) on tuesday for a three day trip.

It's been just two months since i shifted over here from Noida. As per the fellow Bhpians, i have to follow:
Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur-Vellore-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

But Google suggests me:
Krishnagiri - Chengam-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

So I'm confused. Suggestions or any other advice since i will be driving on this route for the first time.
Ignore Google Chacha for this one time and stick to the Hosur Krishnagiri Vellore Arcot Cheyyar Vandavasi Tindivanam Pondy route.Good roads nothing to worry about.Turnoff for Cheyyar is after the A2B in the Arcot area,recent updates on the forum suggest that there is a now a signboard with directions to Cheyyar.Scroll up a few posts and you will get the info.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 15:35   #1607
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

I Guess NH-66 is still not complete so I would stick to the tried and tested route by BHPIans. Attaching the pic for the same.
Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries-pondibangi.png
Any pointers that i should keep in mind before embarking on this route ex noticing the correct signs etc.!!

I would be driving back to Bangalore from Pondicherry on January the first.
I am thinking of early morning start after having breakfast in Pondicherry by 7 am (hope i would get something by that time)or should i have breakfast enroute? I am also undecided on the right place to break for lunch!! Can someone clear my thoughts on this.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:56   #1608
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Any pointers that i should keep in mind before embarking on this route ex noticing the correct signs etc.!!
I am thinking of early morning start after having breakfast in Pondicherry by 7 am (hope i would get something by that time)or should i have breakfast enroute? I am also undecided on the right place to break for lunch!! Can someone clear my thoughts on this.
I think the route is fine, in fact till sometime ago, this was the default Google routing as well and not the one via Tiruvannamalai!
You have pointers for the route in earlier posts, especially the bypasses for the towns like Tindivanam (follow Chennai/College road directions as mentioned in earlier posts).
For your onward journey - you can stop at Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi on left side of highway - about 150Km from Bangalore, ideal stop. You can also consider the A2B at Arcot on left side just before you turn off from the Chennai road.
For example, with a 5am start, you should be able to reach A2B by 7-7:30 and reach Pondicherry by 12pm, so plan for lunch at Pondicherry.

For your return journey - you can have breakfast either at A2B (I think it's on Nehru Street inside the town) or Hotel Surguru which is on the main road as well. I think both will be open by 7am.
For lunch, you can stop at the same Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi which will be on right side this time, and you can make U-turns on either side.

*Note - just after the Walajah toll, when coming back from Pondicherry you will see another Sai Sangeet (and Anjappar restaurant in the same campus), this one can be given a miss. Somehow, feel that the Vaniyambadi one is much better.

Alternatively, you can join the NH 7 at Krishnagiri and within about 3Km or so just after the toll plaza you can stop at Saravana Bhavan or Mangalam both on left side.

Last edited by NPV : 26th December 2016 at 18:58.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 21:18   #1609
BHPian

Is the Krishnagiri - Chengam - Tiruvannamali road very bad? It saves nearly 100 Kms to Pondichery, compared to Ranipet, Vandavasi route.
Old 27th December 2016, 13:42   #1610
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Is the Krishnagiri - Chengam - Tiruvannamali road very bad? It saves nearly 100 Kms to Pondichery, compared to Ranipet, Vandavasi route.
Almost the entire thread here (at least in last 4 years or so) talks about why this route shouldn't be taken Please read up the most recent update of this route here

In fact, most hotels and resorts in Pondicherry recommend the Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam route.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 13:59   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
It might save 100km....but it might not save your vehicle.
(Sorry, couldn't help it.)
Torqy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 14:25   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Almost the entire thread here (at least in last 4 years or so) talks about why this route shouldn't be taken Please read up the most recent update of this route here

In fact, most hotels and resorts in Pondicherry recommend the Vellore-Arcot-Cheyyar-Vandavasi-Tindivanam route.
You are right. I had seen the earlier post on this. I asked because I had seen some roadworks going on in that route and though it might have improved in the recent past.
iamnarayang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 16:14   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. I had seen the earlier post on this. I asked because I had seen some roadworks going on in that route and though it might have improved in the recent past.
Yes, work is in progress. But it's not complete yet. So, it's best to avoid till completion of the shortest / fastest route from BLR to Pondy.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 17:31   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Don't take this road yet bro. Out of curiosity, I managed to search around online for the status of the work that is happening and when that is supposed to get over. It seems that the last status report that was prepared on the work was in March/April '16. No progress has been made after that. When I had taken this route last week, I was literally yearning for the road to get over ASAP.

On a different note, since I had taken this road and am worried if any damage has been done, what do I need to tell the technician at the service station to check for? I have another road trip coming up in another couple of weeks. Please help.
ayankm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 23:25   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other option is to go via krishnagiri, bargur, thirupattur, singarapettai, chengam to tiruvannamalai.
I took the above said route from polur to bangalore in May 2016. Very good roads all the way. I did notice widening work going on in Singarapettai.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 00:19   #1616
BHPian

Completed two days trip to pondicherry. Followed the route suggested by fellow Bhpians and it was indeed in a good shape. Started from pondicherry today around 2:00 pm in afternoon and reached around 8:00 p.m.

Would suggest not to start from bangalore way too early in the morning as i do not find the street lights lighting up the highway at all the places.It was more like to be in patches. And it won't be safe to do high speeds without good headlights set up.

Witnessed an accident early morning at 4:45 a.m. ahead of Hosur and it was scary. Truck which was at a good distance ahead of me not able to judge the curve on the road, instead drove straight and falls in a deep ditch. It seems to be the case of drowsy driving due to which it straight away fell into the ditch without any drama or attempts to negotiate the curve. It just made a complete flip of 360 degree and get stuck in the trees. Over all the sight of it and the way it happened is way too scary enough.

So would suggest fellow Bhpians to get a good sleep before hitting the road.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 00:28   #1617
NAK

I am currently in Pondicherry and planning to return back to Bangalore tomorrow morning. Google map suggests the vellore, Chittoor, KGF road to reach my residence at Kasturinagar. Any advice from fellow bhpians on how good or bad the road is? While driving to Pondicherry I had taken the Krishnagiri Vellore Pondicherry route and found it fairly good. Pls advise.
Old 30th December 2016, 11:36   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK View Post
I am currently in Pondicherry and planning to return back to Bangalore tomorrow morning. Google map suggests the vellore, Chittoor, KGF road to reach my residence at Kasturinagar. Any advice from fellow bhpians on how good or bad the road is? While driving to Pondicherry I had taken the Krishnagiri Vellore Pondicherry route and found it fairly good. Pls advise.
As far as i know, some one quoted in this forum that the route is in good shape but there is a lot of Trucks movement on this route which will reduce the speed and takes the fun out of driving. Though the route is scenic at some places.
Old 31st December 2016, 19:22   #1619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Old Madras road is perfectly fine. After you merge into NH46 at Arcot, cross the bridge and get into Ranipet town. You then need to get to NH4.

Its 2-lane till some distance before Mulbagal and there on, its a brilliant 4-lane all the way. Be careful on 2-lanes as there is considerable truck traffic. There is a CCD right at the end of Chittoor bypass when going towards Bangalore. And some good hotels at Kolar. CCD/Adigas/ Maiyyas (Also I think)

Last edited by ampere : 31st December 2016 at 19:23.
Old 31st December 2016, 22:45   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on your residence in bangalore, coming via old madras road makes sense. The only hickup is the 2 lane road from ranipet till KA/AP border. The SH from ranipet meets the tirupati highway that has considerable truck traffic.
Exercise caution while overtaking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks