Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2014, 10:22   #1156
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Pondicherry : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Planning a trip in August and will take Vellore route.

Other than Mother's place, Auroville.. any other places around Pondy to visit, see?
Any restaurant not to miss in Pondy?

Thanks and cheers
You can visit the following spots

- promenade beach
- chunnambar backwaters

I cannot think of any other spots. It's a place just to a relax around without doing much

I am aware of few good Veg restaurants but nothing 'out of the world' about them. You could take a walk on the JN Street as well. There are good savory shops and interesting shops on that road.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 18:20   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a trip in August and will take Vellore route.

Other than Mother's place, Auroville.. any other places around Pondy to visit, see?
Any restaurant not to miss in Pondy?

Thanks and cheers
If time permits, visit Panchavati where we have the famous 36 ft high panchamukha hanuman temple. I believe this temple was constructed to compete against the famous 32 ft high hanuman temple at Nanganallur, Chennai
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 01:08   #1158
BHPian

Rendezvous - Very good french cuisine ( try Tiger Jumbo Prawns)
Villa Shanti
Surguru - Very good Veg restaurant.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:12   #1159
BHPian

Hi,

Next week I’m planning to go Pondicherry from Bangalore by car but which route to be taken is the big confusion?

I have been through Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route 2 years back and road condition was horrible but I’m not sure about the current status.

There are other two routes

1) Bangalore-Krishnagiri – Salem - Tindivanam – Pondicherry and
2) Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry

I think, its better to take Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry,Since many are suggesting above route in this thread.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:24   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
Hi,

Next week I’m planning to go Pondicherry from Bangalore by car but which route to be taken is the big confusion?

I have been through Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Tiruvannamalai-Tindivanam-Pondicherry route 2 years back and road condition was horrible but I’m not sure about the current status.

I think, its better to take Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam-Pondicherry,Since many are suggesting above route in this thread.
Stick to the Vandavasi Pondy route,its the best.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 16:27   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It has to be this route, just for the pure fun of driving on both divided and undivided roads.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 19:08   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

If you want to carry out harsh test drive on your vehicle regardless of the consequences , then choose the tindivanam-pondicherry road. Else the second option is the trusted and proven route.
Happy Journey
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 16:26   #1163
BHPian

Starting tomorrow morning to Pondy, taking Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam. Are there bypass roads for all these towns or necessarily one drives thro' them? As we plan to have
early BF at A2B Soolagiri, will go for lunch to Surguru. So no need to go thro' these towns if avoidable. Precisely at what point we branch off to right from Chennai quadrilateral towards
Arcot, after Vellore flyovers or before that? Google map is not that clear. Thanks in advance, Cheers
Old 10th August 2014, 17:20   #1164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Starting tomorrow morning to Pondy, taking Vellore, Arcot, Cheyyar, Vandavasi, Tindivanam. Are there bypass roads for all these towns or necessarily one drives thro' them? As we plan to have
early BF at A2B Soolagiri, will go for lunch to Surguru. So no need to go thro' these towns if avoidable. Precisely at what point we branch off to right from Chennai quadrilateral towards
Arcot, after Vellore flyovers or before that? Google map is not that clear. Thanks in advance, Cheers
All towns have bypass. Dont even think of driving through these towns. Vandavasi bypass is a bit broken, but I think its still worth it. (Dont know if it has improved). Any way you have a Duster!

See this link for all the bypasses : Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 10th August 2014 at 17:39.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 17:33   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
All towns have bypass. Dont even think driving through these towns. Vandavasi bypass is a bit broken, but I think its still worth it. (Dont know if it has improved)

See this link for all the bypasses : Route Link
Ampere thanks a ton This will be a tremendous help..Any thoughts on how I can load this to my Garmin Nuvi 52LM? Even otw I will use my Android Google map. Thanks again, Cheers
Old 10th August 2014, 17:38   #1166
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ampere thanks a ton This will be a tremendous help..Any thoughts on how I can load this to my Garmin Nuvi 52LM? Even otw I will use my Android Google map. Thanks again, Cheers
I have a method. But I just checked 52LM specs. It does not support routes. You will need to browse these points on the device and add these locations as waypoints.

OT : For Garmin you have a method, where you can interface your route planning to the PC. Works for me very well. Have been using this method for years now. It takes a sequence of steps.
Old 24th August 2014, 14:36   #1167
BHPian

Bling map gives this route: Bangalore-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam - Pondy 5hrs 20min and 358 Km. What is your opinion please?
virgopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:48   #1168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Bling map gives this route: Bangalore-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam - Pondy 5hrs 20min and 358 Km. What is your opinion please?
If you are starting from Old Madras Road / KR Puram side, this is a much better option. Saves you from driving all the way to Hosur/Krishnagiri and their associated toll booths.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 10:45   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are starting from Old Madras Road / KR Puram side, this is a much better option. Saves you from driving all the way to Hosur/Krishnagiri and their associated toll booths.
I will be driving to Pondicherry on August 29th. Since I start from Whitefield,
Bangalore-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam is shorter for me. How is the road condition? Is it easy to find directions?
Old 25th August 2014, 10:51   #1170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I will be driving to Pondicherry on August 29th. Since I start from Whitefield,
Bangalore-Mulbagal-Chitoor-Ranipet-Arcot-Vandavasi-Tindivanam is shorter for me. How is the road condition? Is it easy to find directions?
Perfectly good. But the only thing is, you need to get into Ranipet town and then come out on the other side to cross the bridge on 4-Lane on river Palar.
There are many places for breakfast too.

This may be a better option to cross Ranipet. Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks