Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 13:57   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Try Ambala= Derabassi-Ramgarh-Panchkula_Parwanoo. to go to Ramgarh take left before the Derabassi flyover go about 300 mts, take a uturn from below the bridge and come back about 200 mts and turn left on the road.Ramgarh is about 7 kms from here and thereon to Panchkula and turn right onto Kalka after the bridge on Ghaggar. The road is excellent except the 500 mts of going around the bridge at Derabassi.
hi,

thanks for the info. Seems this will save more time over the Rajpura route as this avoids Zirakhpur completely. Right ??

It'd be almost dark by the time I'll be in that area and since I'd be going to this route for the first time was just wondering if there are not too many turns which will make it difficult to follow the right route.

Please let me know -
1. Are the markings to Ramgarh from Dera Bassi clear. And to Panchkula from Ramgarh.
2. Is it okay to travel in peak evening time i.e around 7 (Does narrow roads lead to jams)
3. Is it navigational in dark for the first time travellers.
4. Can you tell me if there are some major landmarks which will help to follow the right route.

Thanks again.

Let me know soon.

Naman
Old 7th August 2008, 14:41   #47
Team-BHP Support

Dera Bassi comes on Ambala-Zirakpur road, right?
Some more details on this route would be helpful!

How far is dera bassi flyover from Ambala flyover?
Old 7th August 2008, 15:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Dera Bassi comes on Ambala-Zirakpur road, right?
Some more details on this route would be helpful! How far is dera bassi flyover from Ambala flyover?
@ tanveer : Are you visiting some hill station on this side. Which route are you planning to take?

Yes, Derabassi is on way from Ambala to Zirakhpur. There is a toll tax for a flyover on that road. That is the Derabassi flyover. Don't remember the exact distance.

Naman.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ambala Flyover (the one on NH1, where you turn off to Chandigarh) to Derabassi is 20 kms. From Ambala Railway Station flyover, add another 5 kms.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:20   #50
Team-BHP Support

Am going to visit family friends near Solan, most probably tomorrow.
Will hit Zirakpur by 9pm, I guess by that time there should not be much rush on the NHAI mess at Zirakpur?
I wonder whther this Ramgarh route is safe and non confusing at that time of the night!
Old 7th August 2008, 15:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

The markings for the Ramgarh turnoff are not there at all but you cannot miss the landmarks. Immediately after the derrabassi town there is a toll flyover. About 20 mts before there is a road on the left which follows the flyover parallely. Just stay on that side road and it will take you to the other side of the bridge. Once you reach the other side you will find a full fledged road to your left side. Just turn left and follow the road straight for about 7 kms till you hit a T junction. Turn left and it goes straight to the Kalka highway about another 7 kms or so. After you ahve crossed the bridge on Ghaggar river turn left and it is straight onto Parwanoo 17kms and then onto Solan.
@Tsk : It is absolutely safe and non confusing. But why do you want to go there from Zirakpur if you want to got to Solan? Take it if you are going from Ambala.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 7th August 2008 at 15:35.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:14   #52
Team-BHP Support

Wanderer I am going to Solan side from Delhi-Ambala route
So I take U turn under the Dera Bassi Tolled flyover, then take left turn, hit T junction, turn left and I hit Kalka highway. At that point I turn right towards Kalka, correct?
Old 7th August 2008, 16:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

As soon as you cross the Dera Bassi Bus Stand(Easily visible on left side while going towards CHD),you will see that Road is turning a bit towards left.

Slow down and you will see a road parting towards left and the straight one after the turn goes to Toll.

There is a Petrol Pump too as soon as you complete the turn.

So easiest would be to stop at Petrol Pump as soon as you cross Bus Stand + left curve and confirm from the people there if you still have any doubts.

Bottomline is You dont have to take Dera Bassi toll bridge
Old 7th August 2008, 17:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Exactly Tanveer. When are you planning to drive up? Ill be doing the same stretch on either 14th evening or 15th Morning.
Old 7th August 2008, 17:14   #55
Team-BHP Support

I am most probably doing it tomorrow evening
Delhi-Ambala-Dera Bassi toll bridge - U turn - T junction - Left turn and then hit the Kalka highway and turn right, correct?
Old 7th August 2008, 18:01   #56
BHPian

@wanderernomad : thanks a lot for such a clear info.

I understood all except the last part. After T junction, turn left and this road goes to Kalka Highway. Then after crossing Ghaggar bridge, shouldn't be a right turn (or is it that we have to make a left turn here and finally make a right turn to join the kalka highway)

Naman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
The markings for the Ramgarh turnoff are not there at all but you cannot miss the landmarks. Immediately after the derrabassi town there is a toll flyover. About 20 mts before there is a road on the left which follows the flyover parallely. Just stay on that side road and it will take you to the other side of the bridge. Once you reach the other side you will find a full fledged road to your left side. Just turn left and follow the road straight for about 7 kms till you hit a T junction. Turn left and it goes straight to the Kalka highway about another 7 kms or so. After you ahve crossed the bridge on Ghaggar river turn left and it is straight onto Parwanoo 17kms and then onto Solan.
@Tsk : It is absolutely safe and non confusing. But why do you want to go there from Zirakpur if you want to got to Solan? Take it if you are going from Ambala.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:51   #57
Team-BHP Support

Ok guys I spoke to a family friend who is near Dharampur.
Due to non stop rains for past three days, landslides are there on Nahan route, and also to Barog and Kasauli.
Shimla route is also getting intermittently closed, with bulldozers pressed into service.
If rains don't stop, the highway will get cut off. Its been raining for past 3 days.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Am driving to Chandigarh today evening and will drive to Shimla tomorrow. Any latest info on the route?
Old 14th August 2008, 13:37   #59
Team-BHP Support

the latest info is what I just posted. I have shelved himachal plans. Its still raining continously, and the entire region is full of landslides.
Some landslides on the main highway were cleared yesterday. Its a national highway, and most landslides are cleared within a few hours.
I suggest you head to chandigarh, and check conditions there. I was told that near Parwanoo there is a problem area, but the shimla highway is okay as such.
Good that you are leaving today, Tomorrow Delhi is going to be sealed or something.
Old 14th August 2008, 22:01   #60

I traveled to kasauli yesterday only. i stared in afternoon and must say the traffic was not too bad but the road in kalka cannot be called a road in any sense . potholes is an understatement . but the wost part came when I was coming back in the evening . it took me 2 and a half hours to cross parwanoo and kalka , so whatever happens dun take this road in the evening especially when its raining. But landslides are not a problem and dont think will be .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks