Old 27th October 2016, 11:39   #2521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Krishna inn inside an IOC/HP (forgot) petrol bunk campus at Shoolagiri
Yes. It is a HP COCO bunk.

Locations of places mentioned by NPV.

Hosur A2B next to Chennai silks - Better food & restroom. Someone one in another forum had their valuables stolen after theif broke window pane while parked at their parking. Hence I avoid this place now. Location.

HP COCO -Krishna Inn, MacDonalds & Cofee Day - Heavy crowd on weekends / holidays. Descent food. Cleaner restrooms. Location.

BP COCO - A2B. Average food. Stinky restrooms. Loction.

Hotel Saravana Bhavan Classic: Few Kms ahead of A2B Shoolagiri on your left. Used to like their food which was better among other options. However, quality has come down now and is almost same as others. Quick service. Average restrooms. Location.

Resturants are listed in the order they are located while driving from Bangalore towards Krishnagiri / Chennai. All apart from Hosur A2B is located on the left side.
Old 27th October 2016, 18:13   #2522
BHPian

Hello Everyone

Need to reach Chennai by 11:30 AM on Sunday the 31st for a US Visa Appointment. Planning on driving. A few questions I would love to have your answers on:
1. Is the Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Vellore route still the best route?
2. How many hours should I expect to take to reach Chennai?
3. Is it better to start the previous day or does starting from BLR on Sunday early morning sound doable? I was planning on starting at 04:00 AM

Appreciate your answers.
Old 27th October 2016, 20:00   #2523
Senior - BHPian

As it is a visa appointment and as there will be rain don't risk driving in the morning. Travel the previous night and turn up well on time.

Also parking is a bit of a problem in the lanes off cenotaph road where the visa application center is located so take an uber or something from your hotel.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 20:05   #2524
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
Need to reach Chennai by 11:30 AM on Sunday the 31st for a US Visa Appointment. Planning on driving. A few questions I would love to have your answers on:
3. Is it better to start the previous day or does starting from BLR on Sunday early morning sound doable? I was planning on starting at 04:00 AM
1. Route is fine, road is patchy after Ambur but manageable. Start early and it should be fine.
2. 5-6 hours max. is reasonable with sedate speeds.
3. I wouldn't risk a drive on the morning of a visa appointment, consider driving on Saturday.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 07:01   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p06rakeshb View Post
Hello Everyone

Appreciate your answers.
Do not take chances by driving on the day of the visa interview. I would suggest you to leave the previous day in the evening so that you get a good night sleep back in Chennai.
You are putting pressure on yourself even if you leave by 4 AM on the day of the interview.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:06   #2526
Senior - BHPian

I guess your appointment is on Monday. As other suggested, drive in on Sunday evening. Traffic is much saner. Weekday traffic is not predictable when you are driving on schedule. Also there are too many no parking zones around the consulate.

I'd suggest staying the night at Palmgrove (NPV's favorite ) and walk to the consulate.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 08:08   #2527
BHPian

Thank you NPV, suresh_gs & narayans80. Leaving today for appointments on Sunday & Monday.
Old 1st November 2016, 12:53   #2528
Senior - BHPian

My feelings on Chennai - Bangalore highway. Its worthless paying Rs 45 toll; it's not National Highway, its Shameless Highway!!

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-14908383_10155410533540299_8153107944783811653_n1.jpg

Thanks Arun Ramaswamy

Last edited by aargee : 1st November 2016 at 12:54.
Old 1st November 2016, 13:03   #2529
CGB
BHPian

For fellow road users, there is a large deep pothole near saveetha college towards chennai. They have kept a barrell without any signage or markings. Be careful
Old 1st November 2016, 20:53   #2530
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu reports -

"Sources in the National Highways Authority of India said that the contract for the Maduravoyal to Walajapet stretch has been cancelled since maintenance was not taken up, and widening too was not done by the concessionaire."

Then I don't understand who authorized them to collect the tolls?

Source - http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...ece?ref=tpnews
Old 30th November 2016, 13:37   #2531
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks travelling to Chennai & Pondicherry this weekend get ready to welcome Cyclone Nada - https://www.facebook.com/tamilnaduwe...53459728214635
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:51   #2532
BHPian

Hello all!
I'm planning to drive from Chennai (south) to Hosur on Sunday - starting probably at 6am. (Kanchipuram, Vellore, Krishnagiri route). I have a few queries.
1. Sometime around 8, I'd like to stop for vegetarian hotel (likely to be around Vellore, I guess). Any suggestions?
2. Did anyone travel this route during/after the cyclone nada? Any heads up regarding road conditions?
3. Has the toll collection resumed? I remember reading that it will resume from the midnight of Dec-2nd.
Thanks!
Reg,
Palani.
Old 3rd December 2016, 08:13   #2533
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurupalani View Post
Sometime around 8, I'd like to stop for vegetarian hotel (likely to be around Vellore, I guess). Any suggestions?
Hotel Aryaas, Vellore, located on the RHS, when driving from Chennai towards Hosur. You have to take the service road below the Sathuvachari flyover and drive clockwise at the rotary below the flyover to reach this hotel. There is another Hotel Aryaas on the LHS of the highway just before the Sathuvachari flyover on the service road, but it is inconvenient as there is no parking space available nearby.

There is one Adyar Ananda Bhavan [A2B], located at Arcot bypass on the RHS, when driving from Chennai towards Hosur. There is a big parking lot available in front of this hotel, which is a major plus point. I prefer A2B to Aryaas.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 3rd December 2016 at 08:25.

Old 3rd December 2016, 15:04   #2534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurupalani View Post
1. Sometime around 8, I'd like to stop for vegetarian hotel (likely to be around Vellore, I guess). Any suggestions?
You can even try out

- Murugan Idli shop before Kaveripakkam(Opens after 7 AM)
- Sai Sangeet just after Walaja Toll

Both are located on LHS.
Old 3rd December 2016, 22:29   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Hotel Aryaas, Vellore, located on the RHS, when driving from Chennai towards Hosur.…
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
You can even try out
- Murugan Idli shop before Kaveripakkam(Opens after 7 AM)
- Sai Sangeet just after Walaja Toll

Thank you both, for the suggestions.

I'll be leaving early morning tomorrow for attending a marriage function; and update the road status soon after my return!

Last edited by ampere : 4th December 2016 at 01:04. Reason: Formatted post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks