Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 22:34   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
And TN is quite famous for the way they maintain their roads even the rural ones, so this stretch came as a little surprise and that too being a major connectivity route for 2 big southern cities
Pls consider 2 things here; 1. This is under NHAI, not SH. SH in TN are very good, still slightly inferior to SH roads in GJ. 2. Things in TN has changed a lot in recent times esp with TASMAC, things have taken a big blow. The effects are not evidently visible for now, but the smoke is on full blow & the fire is yet to burst out.

Quote:
Yes, I think that's the one. So is it not for any further expansion? Also if I am not wrong I did see some expansion works (roads dug up) going on either sides of the road close to the Murugan Idli shop area
The Murugan Idly place is in the stretch ranges from Chennai - Thirumazhisai - Sriperumbudur - Kanchipuram - Chennasamudram/Wallajah, which is NH4 comprising of 100/110 Km. To precise Murugan Idly is located 90 Km from Chennai & another 10 more Km before Wallajah toll.

Further from Wallajah to Ranipet to Arcot to Vellore to Pallikonda to Ambur to Vaniyambadi to Bargur to K'giri is NH46, which is Ranipet to Krishnagiri comprising of 140 Km & not NH4.

It is the former section of NH4 that is ongoing expansion for 6 lane for ages now, may be atleast half a decade. It will be more evident from Kanchipuram towards Chennai at some stretches where one can see the under construction 5 lane...yes 5 LANE, not 6 lane at all places.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:09   #2612
BHPian

Biking to Bangalore

Hi guys,

I am going to Bangalore from Chennai on a TBTS 500. I recently read about the new elevated tollway. Would it affect me coming in from Chennai? The last time I was with my Getz, I didn't see this active then. This time though, it's the Bruce.

So i just wanted to get tips and pointers. I am heading over to Banaswadi...

Trumpet.
Old 1st March 2017, 13:29   #2613
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Biking to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
I am confused with the new elevated highway. What precautions do i need to take? I am heading over to banaswadi...any help is much appreciated.
Where is the new elevated highway ?

If you're referring to the one on Hosur Road (BETL, and it's been around for few years now!), it is just a tolled overhead section of about 11Km from Electronics City to Silk Board junction. If you're heading to Banaswadi, take the BETL and get down at Silk Board, then go via Koramangala, Indiranagar. So, after descending from BETL, take the up ramp of Silk Board flyover and descent it. After the Madiwala market/Police Station junction (signal), take service lane and reach the signal near the Ayyappan temple, turn right and you will be on the Intermediate Ring Road from Koramangala to Indiranagar.

What time are you traveling ?

Last edited by NPV : 1st March 2017 at 13:34.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 13:33   #2614
BHPian

Hi,
Thanks NPV for the reply.

Quote:
If you're heading to Banaswadi, take the BETL and get down at Silk Board, then go via Koramangala, Indiranagar.
I am doing this tomorrow morning. I just wanted to understand whether this elevated tollway comes in my way or not. I also tried googling for it but it never showed me. My route plan is the same as what you had mentioned.

Thank you very much!!

Trumpet
Old 1st March 2017, 13:42   #2615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just wanted to understand whether this elevated tollway comes in my way or not. I also tried googling for it but it never showed me. My route plan is the same as what you had mentioned.
About 10Km after Attibele toll (TN-KA Border), you will see the toll booths on the left, this is for the elevated/BETL road. Take this and you will reach Silk Board junction without having to endure the crazy traffic at 4-5 signals (the non-tolled Hosur road below BETL).
Old 1st March 2017, 13:56   #2616
BHPian

Hi,
I plan to start by 5AM tomorrow.

Trumpet.
Old 1st March 2017, 15:36   #2617
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned by NPV this is an old toll road. You can find more details here

Also, since your query is specific to Bangalore - Chennai route, you can find updated information here.
Old 1st March 2017, 17:06   #2618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to start by 5AM tomorrow.
Here's what you should do...
Madras - Sriperumbudur - 35 Km
Sriperumbudur - Kanchipuram - 30 Km
Kanchipuram - Chennasamudram/Wallajah toll gate - 34 Km
Wallajah - Ranipet - 15 Km
Ranipet - Vellore - 16 Km
Vellore - Pallikonda - 20 Km
Pallikonda - Ambur - 50 Km
Ambur - Vaniyambadi - 15 Km
Vaniyambadi - Krishnagiri (T junction to take right) - 35 Km
Krishnagiri - Shoolagiri - 31 Km
Shoolagiri - Hosur - 19 Km
Hosur - Attibele (KA border) - 7 Km
Attibelle - E.City (Elevated toll here) - 11 Km
E.City - Silkboard junction - 10 Km

PS - This is my understanding on the road since I'm doing this route for every alternate week on my CPR for last 2 years!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 14:56   #2619
BHPian

Hi all,

I successfully completed the trip starting on Thursday and ending by Saturday evening. It was a great ride and I feel I gave the bird ("Bruce") a nice break. I will post my report here soon - complete with pics.

Just want to thank everyone who chipped in to help me. Thanks a lot.

Trumpet.
Old 12th March 2017, 18:47   #2620
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Has anyone traveled on the Chittoor-Sholinghur-Arakkonam-Thakkolam-Nemili-Sriperumbudur strecth in the recent past ?
If so how are the road conditions for the entire stretch?
Old 13th March 2017, 09:11   #2621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Has anyone traveled on the Chittoor-Sholinghur-Arakkonam-Thakkolam-Nemili-Sriperumbudur strecth in the recent past ?
If so how are the road conditions for the entire stretch?
This is regarding the image shown below.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-chittoor-sriperumbudur.png
Old 13th March 2017, 13:59   #2622
BHPian

Re: AS Babu Sah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Stop for breakfast at Sai Sangeet, Vaniyambadi about 150 km away.

Based on our earlier experiences, other than Nalli suggest you go to A S Babu Sah also known as the old/original Babu Sah.

Either stay overnight or start after dinner say 9-10pm. Don't drive if you're tired and/or sleepy.
Quote:
With a 4.30am start from Bangalore and with multiple breaks for Fuel, Tea, Restrooms and Breakfast, we were at Kanchipuram (A S Babu Sah shop) by 9.40am.

We headed back to the highway and had lunch at the same restaurant where we had our breakfast - 'Murugan Idly Shop' which is close to 25kms from Kanchipuram town towards Vellore.
[*]Preferably head to Kanchipuram on weekdays if you can and want a less crowded shopping experience (I hope it's lesser on weekdays)[*]Murugan Idli Shop - is highly recommended for it's tasty & hygienic food, service, restrooms and huge parking area on your trip this route. Sweet pongal & Oil Uthappam roast are a definite tries: https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...5!4d79.4799766
I would be heading to Kanchi for saree shopping at AS Babu Sah, this Wednesday. We might stay for a nite, and head back to B'lore on Thursday.
Start point being JP Nagar, Can I reach Hosur road without going via Silk Board?

Could you please suggest some other alternatives to AS Babu Sah. This is just in case, the ladies are NOT happy with the stuff at Babu Sah. I sincerely hope, they complete the shopping at one place.

If we have to stay overnight, are there any decent budget accommodations in and around 'Babu Sah'. This is just to crash for nite, and morning we would be on our way.

How about eateries/restaurants(vegetarian) in Kanchi, like in and around AS Babu Sah?

Last edited by JMaruru : 13th March 2017 at 14:01.
Old 13th March 2017, 14:09   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Start point being JP Nagar, Can I reach Hosur road without going via Silk Board?
You can take Bannerghatta road towards Bannerghatta and then take NICE road which will take you to Hosur Road/Electronic City.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2017, 14:16   #2624
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Could you please suggest some other alternatives to AS Babu Sah. This is just in case, the ladies are NOT happy with the stuff at Babu Sah. I sincerely hope, they complete the shopping at one place.
As arun mentioned you can go via NICE Road.
One option is JP Nagar-Kanakapura Road-NICE Road-Hosur Road-Attibele-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Kanchipuram.

*Depending on where in JP Nagar you stay, take the Kanakapura Road or Bannerghatta Road entry to NICE Road

Regarding saree shopping, from what I know the good ones are AS Babu Sah (Always bought from there), others you can consider may be Nalli and SM Silks. I replied to another query of yours on the Accommodation thread with a link to some earlier posts regarding how to reach AS Babu Sah store, etc, may be helpful.

For Food - very close to AS Babu Sah on the MG Road you have Hotel Saravana Bhavan, Sangeethas and GRT (upscale, pricey option). Even an A2B not too far away near the Perumal temple.

EDIT:Look up this earlier page on this thread - here

Last edited by NPV : 13th March 2017 at 14:22.
Old 13th March 2017, 14:54   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Yes as Arun has suggested, you could take the NICE road till Electronic city, however if you could do a 4-4.30 am start from Bangalore, you could reach Kanchipuram early & easy as well as take the silkboard route to Hosur road too.

Quote:
Pachaiyappa Silks & Prakash Silks are a few mentioned to me by my friends. However Babu Sah is quite huge and has many ranges, so I guess the ladies would never be disappointed. It might probably You and the gents along with you that could possibly get disappointed as this could be a never ending shopping as loads of varieties keep coming.

Quote:
If we have to stay overnight, are there any decent budget accommodations in and around 'Babu Sah'. This is just to crash for nite, and morning we would be on our way.
Not sure on this one, however being a big town, there should definitely be plenty of options. However an early start from Bangalore and a 9-4pm shopping should still help you with a same day return to Bangalore in case you are not too tired to drive back.

Quote:
How about eateries/restaurants(vegetarian) in Kanchi, like in and around AS Babu Sah?
Murugan's Idly Shop - around 10kms prior to Kanchipuram byepass is where we had both our Breakfast and late lunch as well (You could google this too). However as suggested by fellow BHPians there is an original Saravanabhavan on the highway between Kanchipuram and Chennai (after the byepass). There are also many options within the Kanchipuram town as well, however parking the car could be a slight issue during peak hours.
unni246 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed