Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:34   #4111
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
IWhere exactly is the left turn towards Sriperumpudur ? Is it before this NH48 U turn or after that ? Any land marks.

Thanks in advance. Cheers
You need to take the service road about a KM before the U-turn junction. Stay on the left lane and keep an eye on the gap to enter the service road.

At no time have I been stopped from taking the U turn though they have a board preventing U turn at that junction. If you skip that, you need to ahead another 2kms ahead upto the toll plaza for the next U turn.
m8002? is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2023, 11:05   #4112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I have an upcoming trip from Bangalore to ECR (near Nemmeli) where I would be arriving late into the night (late afternoon start from Bangalore)

From Ranipet Google maps shows two routes
Sunguvarchatram - VIT - Kovalam toll - ECR
Walajabad - Chengalpattu - Thiruporur - ECR
Attachment 2421731

There is not much to differentiate in time and distance between the two but I would like some suggestions from the surface, traffic and ease of driving late into the night.
Hi,
The first route you are referring to - is it through the regular Chennai - Bangalore Highway through Sriperumbudur ?
If yes, that route has lots of diversions as mentioned by the veterans here.

The alternate through Kanchipuram - Walajabad - Chengapattu I wouldn't advice if you will be crossing this stretch after dark .
During the day this is preferable from a road condition perspective, but during the night not sure how safe it is - especially the Chengapattu - Thiruporur road etc.

So, if you cross Kanchipuram after 7 or 8pm, then better to stay on the NH ( via Sriperumbudur), although it has lots of diversions.
So, if you are driving a low GC sedan ( I know which one ), you need to take care.
mah45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2023, 11:42   #4113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingmelody View Post
Some details about our onward and return journey between Bangalore and Chennai.
On 15th Feb, We started at 6.00 am from Bangalore and reached Park Hyatt by 12.30.

Took the following route KR-Puram-> Chittor ->Ranipet -> Sriperumbudur->Kundrathur ->Chromepet ->Guindy. As it was a weekday, there was no traffic for the entire journey.
There was some dense fog for around 30KM between Mulbagal and Palamner, which slowed us down. We were driving in new Skoda Kushaq (Monte Carlo Edition). We are new to the Skoda/VG cars and were lazy to read through the manual on the means to turn on the fog lights.

On 17th Feb, We started at 10.00 am from Chennai and reached Bangalore at 4.30 pm.
Took the following route Guindy -> Vandalur -> Walajabad -> Ranipet -> Chitoor -> KR Puram.

The return route is quite impressive around the industrial belt before Walajabad.
The coming month, I will be driving the following route :

Bengaluru-Kolar-Chittoor-Ranipet-Sriperumpudur-Chennai

Please advise on the Sriperumpudur-Kundrathur-Chromepet route :

1. While driving from Sriperumpudur, we come across the Chennai Outer Ring Road (ORR) near Kundrathur. Do we have to get on to the Chennai ORR or stay on the service road for the Chromepet route.

2. I need to go near Sathya Studios at Anna Sathya Nagar, Raja Anamalaipuram.
Old 26th February 2023, 19:59   #4114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth;5499796

In my opinion the best route for those from South Chennai & OMR areas without doubts.

[url
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/12.846618,79.9370384/12.8805718,79.7828392/@12.8255058,79.7571057,11.75z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d79.8212666!2d12.828456 2!3s0x3a52e8d11d2bc49b:0x5f2b87eea5a2560e!1m0!3e0[/url]
This is the best option now. A word of caution if you are using g-map for navigation. In some of these areas the the GPS is quite erratic and your car position may be wrongly shown. You may take a wrong tun or miss a turn and immediately google starts to reroute resulting in getting guided through very narrow or very rough village roads. Better ask locals if you are in doubt. Ensure your location accuracy by checking land marks shown
Old 27th February 2023, 12:09   #4115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
The coming month, I will be driving the following route :

Bengaluru-Kolar-Chittoor-Ranipet-Sriperumpudur-Chennai

Please advise on the Sriperumpudur-Kundrathur-Chromepet route :

1. While driving from Sriperumpudur, we come across the Chennai Outer Ring Road (ORR) near Kundrathur. Do we have to get on to the Chennai ORR or stay on the service road for the Chromepet route.

2. I need to go near Sathya Studios at Anna Sathya Nagar, Raja Anamalaipuram.
Please continue straight when you see Madha engineering college. No need to take ORR. Driving for about 1+ km, you will hit Kundrathur junction, then take left and immediately take right in that signal to go towards Anakaputhur, Pammal, Pallavaram to hit GST Road/Chrompet.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 23:59   #4116
Senior - BHPian

Took the main highway (due to lack of choice) on the way back home on Saturday. Started at Vadaseri Sai Sangeet at 830 pm and reached home at 1130 pm. The route taken was Sai Sangeet-Sunguvarchatram-Sriperumbudur Sipcot Road-Vallakottai-SP Koil-SRM

I was driving without a spare tyre, hence was a bit more careful.

In general, the drive was lot better than my Xmas drive home. No bad sections, but certainly a lot slower. I barely exceeded 80 on 2 small stretches after Ranipet. Rest were driven between 30 and 70. Diversions are a lot longer. These traffic were manageable given my odd driving time.

The first bad sections were on the Sipcot road. These were again manageable.

For odd time starts, NH4 makes sense. Might not take it with traffic.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 00:11   #4117
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I will be doing a Chennai - Devanahalli - Chennai trip tomorrow.

To my surprise, the Gmaps shows a major diversion at Baluchetty Palayam

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot_20230305_000330_maps.jpg

Can anyone confirm this diversion or is it one of the infamous Gmaps blip?
Old 5th March 2023, 07:55   #4118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Guys,

I will be doing a Chennai - Devanahalli - Chennai trip tomorrow.

To my surprise, the Gmaps shows a major diversion at Baluchetty Palayam

Attachment 2425161

Can anyone confirm this diversion or is it one of the infamous Gmaps blip?
There was no such diversion last week on the return. This could be the google maps glitch. Incidentally G Maps has been showing one such diversion on 100 Ft Road between Vadapalani & Koyambedu for a few days now
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-forum.png  

Old 5th March 2023, 16:42   #4119
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Guduvancheri, which is south of Chennai on 8th March, from BTM layout. I read in some newspaper that were road diversions in Vellore, due to some flyover construction. Is this affecting the traffic? Is Chittoor route prefereable due to this road works in Vellore? Can someone who travelled via vellore recently please advise.

Thanks and regards,
Narayan
Old 5th March 2023, 22:34   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Last week there were no diversions at Vellore. There were none at Vellore, there were few at Arcot bypass and there are only diversions beyond Chennasamudram.

From BTM it makes no sense to go via Chittoor
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 08:34   #4121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

For people going to South Chennai from Bangalore, and using kanchipuram-walajabad-oragadam route :
Instead of getting into kanchipuram from the west (military road ), get in via north. Superb smooth roads, and bypass kanchi via the smooth state highway surrounded by lake/marsh. Apart from two culvert works, the stretch to walajabad encountered via this route is smooth as well.

Don not take red, use green.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-screenshot_20230307082739_maps.jpg  

venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 15:43   #4122
BHPian

Dear all,
Planning a trip from Chennai to Hosur and further to Karnataka by month end.
Based on feedback here, planning to take Vandalur - Oragadam - Walajabad - Kanchipuram route and then join the NH.

For a 7am start from Medavakkam side, are there good eateries before Kanchipuram on this route ?

I don't recollect seeing any, so any inputs would help. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2023, 11:05   #4123

Travelling soon to Bangalore. Please suggest any good restaurant for lunch(South Indian Veg Meals) on NH48 around Sriperumbudur/Kanchipuram.
Old 8th March 2023, 12:23   #4124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Dear all,
Planning a trip from Chennai to Hosur and further to Karnataka by month end.
Based on feedback here, planning to take Vandalur - Oragadam - Walajabad - Kanchipuram route and then join the NH.

For a 7am start from Medavakkam side, are there good eateries before Kanchipuram on this route ?

I don't recollect seeing any, so any inputs would help. Thanks.
There isn't anything particularly notable between GST Road and Kanchipuram. There are some juice bars which may also have tiffin and snacks.

I think your options are:

1. Eat between Medavakkam and the Oragadam turn off GST Road. Sangeetha is the last option but will be crowded.
2. Get something delivered early morning which you can eat on the way.
3. Small detour - turn right below the flyover at Apollo tyres, there should be a couple of small tiffin places or Hotel Mercure, then go back to the original planned toute
4. Instead of going through Walajabad, turn right at Apollo Tyres factory, exit on to the main BLR highway at Sriperumbudur, abundant eateries thereafter
5. Consider breakfast after Kanchipuram instead of before, and then Murugun Idli shortly after the toll gate.
EVAdopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 14:40   #4125

Hi All,

Travelling to Bangalore(Electronic City) for the first time. This will be my first highway trip and I plan to take the NH48 route. Can any one tell me how long it typically takes to travel from Poonamallee(starting around 12 pm) to Electronic City with a moderate speed(less than 80).

For lunch, do you have any good suggestions between Poonamallee and Kanchipuram on the highway. Also, please suggest any good restaurant on the highway near Electronic City or before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks