Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 16:46   #4126
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAdopter View Post
There isn't anything particularly notable between GST Road and Kanchipuram. There are some juice bars which may also have tiffin and snacks.

I think your options are:

1. Eat between Medavakkam and the Oragadam turn off GST Road. Sangeetha is the last option but will be crowded.
2. Get something delivered early morning which you can eat on the way.
3. Small detour - turn right below the flyover at Apollo tyres, there should be a couple of small tiffin places or Hotel Mercure, then go back to the original planned toute
4. Instead of going through Walajabad, turn right at Apollo Tyres factory, exit on to the main BLR highway at Sriperumbudur, abundant eateries thereafter
5. Consider breakfast after Kanchipuram instead of before, and then Murugun Idli shortly after the toll gate.
Thanks, yes I haven't seen many restaurants in that stretch until Kanchipuram, hence asked.
I found this one below during Search, but all reviews say it's too expensive.

Nivedhanam Multicuisine Restaurant
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3TKtHgdXrnrSDnp97

Are there good options if we get into Kanchi town ?
I am not a big fan of Murugan idli..
Old 8th March 2023, 17:02   #4127

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
Thanks, yes I haven't seen many restaurants in that stretch until Kanchipuram, hence asked.
I found this one below during Search, but all reviews say it's too expensive.

Nivedhanam Multicuisine Restaurant
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3TKtHgdXrnrSDnp97

There will be multiple tiffin places in Kanchipuram including Sree Ramanas and HSB if you are looking for known brands. But parking and Kanchipuram internal traffic will be a pain and if you + others in the car will be hungry at 9 am you might not want to put up with it.
EVAdopter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 17:18   #4128
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a trip from Chennai to Hosur and further to Karnataka by month end.
Quote:
If you do venture inside Kanchipuram, avoid the HSB's (I remember 2 of them inside the town). Instead, you can try the Sai Sangeet on Gandhi Road almost next to Prakash Silks. There is an A2B also somewhere nearby on Gandhi Road.

Last edited by NPV : 8th March 2023 at 17:20.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 19:58   #4129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPenguin View Post
Travelling soon to Bangalore. Please suggest any good restaurant for lunch(South Indian Veg Meals) on NH48 around Sriperumbudur/Kanchipuram.
Please check Upashana hotels which has been shared by some Sr folks here. Going by the reviews I'd also stop here for a Vegeterian meal.

https://goo.gl/maps/Y5BUsyqpebNanNUe9
KartikBN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 21:04   #4130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAdopter View Post
There will be multiple tiffin places in Kanchipuram including Sree Ramanas and HSB if you are looking for known brands. But parking and Kanchipuram internal traffic will be a pain and if you + others in the car will be hungry at 9 am you might not want to put up with it.
Thanks, yes I agree, have to decide between crossing multiple diversions, say between Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram - if I take the NH,

vs

driving inside the town and the pain and time I end up wasting in such a case

Upashana was also a recommended one, but I am not sure how will it work out if I take the Walajabad - Kanchipuram road.
Old 8th March 2023, 21:49   #4131
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, yes I agree, have to decide between crossing multiple diversions, say between Sriperumbudur and Kanchipuram - if I take the NH,
Another option if you take the NH, about 25 km after the Murugan idli shop you will find Alankar on the left in the Chennai-Bangalore direction. This is at Ratnagiri, near Arcot.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 07:14   #4132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another option if you take the NH, about 25 km after the Murugan idli shop you will find Alankar on the left in the Chennai-Bangalore direction. This is at Ratnagiri, near Arcot.
Thanks yes, but for a 7am start, I feel it could be a bit late by the time we reach Alankar.

I remember the veterans here used to recommend joining at Sunguvarchatram and take NH beyond that in the past.

How are the road conditions between Sunguvarchatram and Chennasamudram Toll, any improvements recently ?
Old 9th March 2023, 08:39   #4133

Do you happen to know how long it typically takes to reach Electronic City from the Upashana hotel on a weekend starting around 12 pm?
Old 9th March 2023, 08:45   #4134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Yes Alankar is a very good place. I have had food here and it was very decent. And they also know how to manage a crowd.

Quote:
Thanks yes, but for a 7am start, I feel it could be a bit late by the time we reach Alankar.
A 7AM start means you already lost the advantage to have a break on the highway. If you can start by 6AM then Alankar would be an ideal place. Use the regular Vandalur-Walaja-Kanchi section, get back on 4-lane and drive till Ratnagiri. It still would mean 2.5 hrs of drive though.

If you want to break before, then yes either in Kanchi or Murugan Idli.

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2023 at 09:41.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 13:33   #4135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a 7am start from Medavakkam side
Best to join the highway at Sungurvarchatram. THere is a HSB between Sunguvarchatram and Kanchipuram, 62nd km milestone thereabouts.

It is expensive yes, but it is the first among the decent joints. Parking is no problem.

Entering Kanchipuram town is a bad idea.

Quote:
Do you happen to know how long it typically takes to reach Electronic City from the Upashana hotel on a weekend starting around 12 pm?
4 hours + 30 min buffer for slow traffic. Assuming its not those long weekends.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2023, 14:35   #4136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
For people going to South Chennai from Bangalore, and using kanchipuram-walajabad-oragadam route :
Instead of getting into kanchipuram from the west (military road ), get in via north. Superb smooth roads, and bypass kanchi via the smooth state highway surrounded by lake/marsh. Apart from two culvert works, the stretch to walajabad encountered via this route is smooth as well.

Don not take red, use green.
I'm thinking of doing this on my return, i,e: Start from Semmencheri-Kelambakkam-Vandalur-Padappai-Walaja-Kanchi then hit the NH48 via the north route. Is the road in good condition? Is it a good idea to hit the Kanchi route passing between 4-6PM on a Sunday evening?
Old 9th March 2023, 19:08   #4137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Best to join the highway at Sungurvarchatram. THere is a HSB between Sunguvarchatram and Kanchipuram, 62nd km milestone thereabouts.

It is expensive yes, but it is the first among the decent joints. Parking is no problem.

Entering Kanchipuram town is a bad idea.

Thanks.
Are you referring to the HSB on the left side, or the new one which I heard has come up on the RHS while we go from Chennai.

Also, is the NH stretch from Sunguvarchatram to Chennasamudram driveable by a sedan.
Old 10th March 2023, 13:07   #4138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to the HSB on the left side
Yes. And this is much before Kanchipuram exits. The Upasana-HSB pair is a good 15 km away.

Quote:
Also, is the NH stretch from Sunguvarchatram to Chennasamudram driveable by a sedan.
Based on my drive 2 weeks back. The diversions are not bad, they are terribly slow. You will be hard pressed to touch 80 before Arcot.

Or if you are open to fun Tindivanam-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri detour (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries) like me You'll have tons of food options with good parking on GST starting from the Saapida Vaanga-Sathyam pair in MM Nagar till Amma Tea Time/Cafe Udupi Ruchi on Tindivanam bypass.
Old 10th March 2023, 16:07   #4139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Yes. And this is much before Kanchipuram exits. The Upasana-HSB pair is a good 15 km away.

Based on my drive 2 weeks back. The diversions are not bad, they are terribly slow. You will be hard pressed to touch 80 before Arcot.

Or if you are open to fun Tindivanam-Tiruvannamalai-Krishnagiri detour (Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries) like me You'll have tons of food options with good parking on GST starting from the Saapida Vaanga-Sathyam pair in MM Nagar till Amma Tea Time/Cafe Udupi Ruchi on Tindivanam bypass.
If I take GST, I would stop at my regular Manoj bhavan at Mamandur.
From a timing perspective works out really well for us for breakfast

Only problem this time is that we need to travel beyond Hosur the same day afternoon, so would prefer to keep to a known route as much as possible until Hosur.

I have never taken the Tiruvannamalai - Krishnagiri or Gingee - Arcot routes so far, so don't want to explore it this time.
Old 16th March 2023, 09:19   #4140

Please suggest a good pit stop between Vaniyambadi and Hosūr on the left(Chennai Bangalore) for snacks, coffee and clean restroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks