Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 07:54   #3991

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

yes..I exactly followed that route..From Chittoor toll,we have to go inside the town for a brief 10-15 mins..In the previous trip I made the mistake of making "Ponnai" as a stop and this took me to some deep village roads (missed the bypass as gmaps guided me to Ponnai as that was a stop)

I started from Malleshwaram in b'lore. Left at 7am and was at Chitoor at 950AM (driving mostly at 90 cruise)
hariswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 13:32   #3992
BHPian

Just a rant and a warning. Posting it in this thread due to higher relevance.

I did a day trip to Vellore yesterday via the Chittoor route (I stay near C V Raman Nagar).
On the way back from Vellore post sunset, I saw numerous (higher than average) dead/run-over dogs between Palamner and Hoskote. I myself dodged no less than 3 dogs from impact. Gently collided with one dog who was trying to avoid getting killed by an SUV. Their paths were unpredictable and had to panic break to reduce full-on impact to a gentle touch. Thankfully, the dog was ok and I saw it run away and nobody rear ended me. In all cases, my wife who was in front passenger seat had heart in her mouth.

My understanding is that this is due to the sudden proliferation of restaurants and dhabas on this route in the last 2 years. Also, dog gangs from either side of the highway (around restaurants) were barking and suddenly running across as part of gang-wars
A humble warning to folks who frequent this highway.

I guess, man's best friend has learned bad habits from its master

Last edited by srvm : 25th October 2022 at 13:33.
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:10   #3993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

During my return to Bangalore, I went one step further to avoid NH48 till Kancheepuram, by taking
Madipakkam - Tambaram - Padappai - Walajahbad - Ayyampettai (marked A) which joins NH48 at Perumugai (marked B)
Attachment 2365207

There are some lovely stretches of country roads amidst paddy fields and limits the crumbling NH48 to only 29 kms till Chennasamudram, at more or less the same travel time as the default route
Did the above stretch last week in the morning. Takes us through Kanchipuram town past Melambi and meets the NH near Aavin milk parlour. A worthwhile route to take. One has to leave early but, to make the best out of it, so that morning city traffic in Kanchipuram can be avoided.
Capri89 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 13:23   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Did the above stretch last week in the morning. Takes us through Kanchipuram town past Melambi and meets the NH near Aavin milk parlour. A worthwhile route to take. One has to leave early but, to make the best out of it, so that morning city traffic in Kanchipuram can be avoided.
I have some dashcam pics of the route this time

Between Perungulathur and Walajahbad
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084412.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084117.jpg

Between Ayyampettai and Kanchipuram - this is a treat
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084057.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084147.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084203.jpg
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084049.jpg

Quaint (but narrow!) Kanchipuram railway station road and through the town - avoid unless it's a Sunday or early morning
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-a_20221030084218.jpg
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 12:31   #3995
Senior - BHPian

I have an upcoming visit to Chennai on Sunday (returning on Monday) and planning to start around 9 AM and take the Hosur road. What is the latest on the road conditions via Hosur, Krishnagiri? Or is it preferred to take the Chittor route?
Old 4th November 2022, 12:59   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I have an upcoming visit to Chennai on Sunday (returning on Monday) and planning to start around 9 AM and take the Hosur road. What is the latest on the road conditions via Hosur, Krishnagiri? Or is it preferred to take the Chittor route?
Road conditions are fair on both routes. Being a Sunday there wouldnt be much of a difference in terms of traffic as well.

However do note there is heavy rain forecast in most parts of TN, especially Chennai.

Last year the NH47 got flooded near Ambur this time of the year. Not sure about the Chittoor route though.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 18:08   #3997
BHPian

Quote:
I returned to Chennai from Bangalore on Tuesday and took the Chittoor route. From Ranipet I was greeted by heavy downpour. I took exit at Kanchipuram and followed the route as below.

Kanchipuram - Sevlimedu - via military road to Walajabad roundabout. Took 40 minutes in heavy rain. Thereafter Vandalur - Tambaram.

Military road was not too bad. It is patchy and pot holed in some sections, but manageable.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-20221104_172822.jpg  

Capri89 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 10:44   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an upcoming visit to Chennai on Sunday (returning on Monday)
That depends on where you are put up in Bangalore. Road construction starts after both routes merge. Your route thereon will depend on where your destination is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
However do note there is heavy rain forecast in most parts of TN, especially Chennai.
With Pradeep John (the TN weatherman) tweeting on chess this morning. This is the best weekend to drive north TN. No one knows what's expected next weekend.

10-30 minute showers are not ruled out. So carrying umbrella everywhere is a must.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 11:40   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
I did Chennai-Bangalore-Chennai couple of weeks back and the road conditions via vellore-krishnagiri-hosur are good.

As usual Walajabad to Chennai section is work in progress with 6 laning and overbridge constructions at frequent intervals.
Overall the roads are manageable in this difficult stretch including the bypass roads that have been built.

Much better experience than the earlier days.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 6th November 2022, 01:04   #4000

Folks, travelled from Sarjapur to Chennai today. started at 8AM and reached chennai by 2:30PM!
Sarjapur - Bommasandra - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Ambur - Siripreumbdur - Kundathur - Chennai

From Hosur all the way till Ambur roads are excellent! Wish my beast had additional torque! Post Ambur you had lot of patches with flyover construction going on all the way until Sriperumbudur. Roughly before 50kms from Sriperumbudur you have these patchy works going on! gmaps suggested i take the kundathur - siriperumbudur road. Avoid this road if you can! to travel 30odd km it took me 3hrs! that road is not that great either!
Would suggest hit the NH from Siriperumbudur and get into chennai!
Because of the works going on from ambur to siriperum udur and the rough patch on kundathur road id suggest to finish this leg before the sunlight is replaced by the headlights!

Hope this helps! Il be leaving to coimbatore in the morning and head back to byd from there!

Happy Driving!
Old 18th November 2022, 12:15   #4001
MCR
BHPian

For the upcoming Christmas holidays, I have booked a room at Novotel , IT Expressway(OMR).
This hotel is around 40kms from Mahabalipuram so I decided to book this.

The route suggested by Google is as below;

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Sunguvarchatram - Oragadam - Vandalur - Medavakkam - Novotel.

Is this the best route? or are there better options?

Also, please good good south Indian veg restaurants in the vicinity which we could try.
Old 18th November 2022, 14:10   #4002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vellore - Sunguvarchatram - Oragadam - Vandalur - Medavakkam - Novotel.
Better to take Mambakkam-Kelambakkam-OMR from Vandalur. No need to get into the Tambaram-Medavakkam traffic.

Genereally Novotel food itself is great (especially breakfast), though on the expensive side.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 14:44   #4003
BHPian

Quote:
For the upcoming Christmas holidays, I have booked a room at Novotel , IT Expressway(OMR).
This hotel is around 40kms from Mahabalipuram so I decided to book this.

Also, please good good south Indian veg restaurants in the vicinity which we could try.
There are two Novotel in OMR - one near Sholinganallur and another near Siruseri SIPCOT entrance. Do check which one you have booked. The Vandalur Kelambakkam route will be near for Siruseri/SIPCOT Novotel and the Sholinganallur is another < 10 kms away with an additional toll.

Veg restaurants -
Try Pind (North Indian) , Geetham (South Indian) - both in Thoraipakkam and would be near for your if you are in Sholinganallur Novotel

If you happen to stay near Siruseri Novtel, the only near Veg option for you would be Geetham in Navalur. Coal Barbecues adjacent to Geetham are a very good option too if you are open for Barbecue/Buffet food. You might need a booking there. There are some restaurants in the nearby Marina Mall too. Check those. Its been a while, since i have been to that part of the city.

If you don't mind multi cuisine - try the Farm. Their wood-fire pizza is one of the best I have tasted in Chennai. Very limited options and requires to call them and book. IT will be a very different experience of dining out. They have a good shop selling organic and exotic food items. Visit their website to check https://www.thefarmchennai.com/

Last edited by hamster : 18th November 2022 at 14:46. Reason: Minor Corrections
hamster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 16:58   #4004
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Better to take Mambakkam-Kelambakkam-OMR from Vandalur. No need to get into the Tambaram-Medavakkam traffic.

Genereally Novotel food itself is great (especially breakfast), though on the expensive side.
Thanks. Have saved the route you have suggested.

Alternatively what is your opinion about the route below?

Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri- Mathur- Utangarai - Chengam - Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - CHengalpattu - Tandalam - Kelambakkam - Novotel.

This route (via Tiruvannamalai) is approximately 380kms from my home and the route mentioned earlier is around 365kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
There are two Novotel in OMR

Veg restaurants -
Try Pind (North Indian) , Geetham (South Indian) - both in Thoraipakkam and would be near for your if you are in Sholinganallur Novotel

If......try the Farm.
I have booked the Sholinganallur one.
Thanks for the suggestion. The wood fired Pizza sounds tasty. Will definitely give a try.
Old 18th November 2022, 18:15   #4005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri- Mathur- Utangarai - Chengam - Tiruvannamalai - Tindivanam - CHengalpattu - Tandalam - Kelambakkam - Novotel.
Are you heading to Pondy or Madras? For Madras it makes no sense.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks