Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 23:29   #3886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankuthimma View Post
Thank you so much for these pointers. very helpful indeed !

Where exactly is this bypass road? I have plotted the route from Sunguvarchatram to the homestay. Is gmaps able to route through this new road?

https://goo.gl/maps/C1VGjF4W3wu1xqm86

Thank you so much sir for offering to help. I have used your gmaps link and extended it to the location provided by the host now. Please check if it looks fine.
The above gmaps link route is fine for you to take.
@ampere is our local TBHP maps guru for close to 15 years now, even before Gmaps was widely used or was available in smart phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Having a need to drive up to Chennai this weekend. Is the usual route really bad? Vellore - Sriperumbuthur - Poonamalle - Kathipara - Adyar. A little confused with reading the recent updates. I know of the multiple diversions due to road work when traveled in last December. Anything worsened since then?

Is any diversions in and around Kanchipuram - Sriperumbudur worth it or stick to the usual route?

Start time around 12:30pm from Bangalore.
I did completed Bangalore-Madras-Bangalore trip last weekend via Chittoor route. Left on 12th evening around 5 pm and reached Pallavaram around 11.30 including 45 mts break for dinner and another 30 minutes got stuck in traffic jam due to an accident post Chennasamudram toll in under construction road. I was driving only at 90 kmph using CC.

Return started at 4 pm in Pallavaram and reached Bangalore K.R Puram junction at 9 pm, including 30 minutes tea break.

From road updates perspective, i would say, Sriperumbudur-Kanchipuram-Chennasamudram section had gone worse with way too many diversions and too much driving in service roads compared to Madras bound traffic. Thus it piles up traffic jam in peak hours and takes easily 2 to 2.5 hours to reach Kanchipuram alone from Madras.

They are constructing median wall in many sections, and it is really not that visible in dark post sun set. If it rains, its going to be too risky.

To answer @balenoed queries,
Vellore to Chennasamudram - great roads, nothing new to add. But beyond that its going to be too much traffic for you, because you may reach there around peak hour traffic and is going to be crazy. Instead of Sriperumbuthur - Poonamalle - Kathipara - Adyar route, i strongly suggest you exit at Sunguvarchatram towards SH120 and take Padappai/vandalur-Tambaram-Pallavaram-Little Mount-Adayar which will be definitely much faster though little longer. Its mostly moving traffic and only bottleneck is Perungalathur which can also be managed.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 19th August 2022 at 23:31.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 07:54   #3887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
1230 pm from Bangalore will be very bad timing. You'll land in peak weekend 6-8 pm evening traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
To answer @balenoed queries,
Vellore to Chennasamudram - great roads, nothing new to add. But beyond that its going to be too much traffic for you
Thanks both.

Did the drive yesterday and surprisingly there wasn’t any traffic inwards to the city from Sriperumbudur. It was very smooth. I was planning for your suggestions, but then at that time from there gmap suggested the usual Sriperumbudur - Poonamallee - Kathipara - Adyar as fastest and was showing blue throughout, so decided to take that. It was real quick and no chocking anywhere.

And a new Saravanan Bhavan (HSB) is opened in Kanchipuram on the left side (Beside Upashana hotel). Just opened this month. Took a tea break there.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-3a3fc0906837419cb38b5178442d44d4.jpeg

Last edited by balenoed_ : 20th August 2022 at 08:02.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 13:09   #3888
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Couple of questions -
1. Gmaps shows this route to the venue https://goo.gl/maps/spVRS9jwpw5avxcS8 . Kindly verify and suggest if there are better alternatives. I am not stressed about time taken, but would prefer to avoid congested roads within the city.

2. Seems like parking is challenging at the venue. Any suggestions for safe parking in that area, if any one is familiar with the locality ?

4. If we have to complete the Chennai experience by visiting Pondy Bazaar, T Nagar, and the famous temples - Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Parthasarathy Temple, may be we will get few hours late afternoon for this, which is the closest place I can park the car safely, perhaps a mall or hotel and take a cab/auto to go around these places? While we are at this place, please recommend must-try eateries. Sangeethas, Ratna Cafe are some names I got.
The suggested route to venue is the best. The 100 feet road which leads to Velacherry splits into two before Velacherry station. While driving back to ECR you have to take right side road. Gmap will guide but it may be confusing if you are new to this road

The roads around the venue are broad and you can safely park on the road side.

If you planning to visit T Nagar/Mylapore do it when you are in Nanganallur. If you don't want to take your car, get a cab on hour basis to do the trip.

While in city try Matsya (T Nagar/Adayar), Patti Vedu (T Nagar)/ Haven Sampoorna (Velacherry) or Pind (Velacherry)
raju2512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 16:20   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Couple of questions -
1. Gmaps shows this route to the venue https://goo.gl/maps/spVRS9jwpw5avxcS8 . Kindly verify and suggest if there are better alternatives. I am not stressed about time taken, but would prefer to avoid congested roads within the city.

2. Seems like parking is challenging at the venue. Any suggestions for safe parking in that area, if any one is familiar with the locality ?

Parking will be an isue around the hall, though the hall is in a lane, it is tough to park around these lanes or the main road peacefully while you attend the function. One option I could suggest if you are going to club your Chennai city visits like T.Nagar, Pondy Bazar, Mylapore etc is put the car at the Alandur Metro Parking area https://goo.gl/maps/DouYHiBx1aFbabYx5 it will take about 10 minutes by auto from there to the hall. Depending on your needs you can either come back take your car and move around or complete your various visits and then take your car at the end of the day
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 09:11   #3890
BHPian

Quote:

And a new Saravanan Bhavan (HSB) is opened in Kanchipuram on the left side (Beside Upashana hotel). Just opened this month. Took a tea break there.

Attachment 2348456
Good. Can you G map this so that it will be easy. I am planning a trip soon.
Old 21st August 2022, 19:29   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
You won't miss this at all. You can start seeing Upashana hotel distance in kms starting from Chennasamudram toll to all the way till the Kanchipuram. Its actually an excellent food and great hotel for food, with nice parking.
Now Hotel Saravana Bhavan is opened just before that in adjacent building on Aug 3rd. In my previous trips in July, they were getting it ready and now they opened this month.

On a side note, the diagonally opposite old Saravana Bhavan hotel (Towars Sriperumbudur to Kanchipuram direction) is deteriorating with badly maintained rest rooms. Gave feedback to their managers several times, and they simply hear and leave it, and don't care. Hence its became a non-preferred stop over time, although food was okay.

Now with new Saravana Bhavan opened right before Upashana hotel, we have two good hotels and is a perfect stop before driving the last 60 to 80 kms towards Madras city.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 20:33   #3892
BHPian

Thanks ravib, appreciate that.
Have noticed Upashana.
Thought this Saravana might be inside Kanchipuram. Hence asked.
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:25   #3893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sriperumbudur - Poonamallee - Kathipara - Adyar as fastest and was showing blue throughout
Lucky fella! It was a Friday evening and I would usually expect a mess during evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Matsya (T Nagar/Adayar), Patti Vedu (T Nagar)/ Haven Sampoorna (Velacherry) or Pind (Velacherry)
Paati Veedu is just so-so for the price paid (costs ~ 900 Rs/head). Jalpaan near the parking lot building (where Krishna Sweets used to be) is better. T. Nagar Mathsya also has parking problems, Adyar is better in that regard.

Quote:
Thought this Saravana might be inside Kanchipuram. Hence asked.
The HSB on the Bangalore bound side has been there for many years. The Madras bound side HSB is brand new.
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:38   #3894
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi All,

We will be travelling to Chennai next week for a family function.
Not much to add as others have chipped in but few pointers.

Nanganallur Anjeneya temple is quite famous and please visit if possible during the function as it is very close.

Inside the city, if you want to drive to T. Nagar, you can park in the lanes near Muppathamman temple. It is very close to Panagal park/T. Nagar. Or if you are planning to go inside city from function hall, I suggest leave the car near hall itself. Take an auto and get to nearest metro station (Nanganallur or Alandur) and go to Nandanam or take sub urban train directly to Mambalam. Inside the city, you have the routine Murugan idli, Sangeetha which split now into Geetham, etc. Sri Akshayam is good now a days for simple South Indian veg fare. Annalakshmi Pure veg used to be good for fine dining earlier but I was not there in years now, so not sure of their quality.

If you are going on Mahabalipuram one day, you can try a nice dinner buffet at Radisson Blu which has quite a lot vegetarian options compared to other star rated hotels in ECR. I was recently there and loved the options they had.

Kancheepuram itself warrants a separate trip to cover even the most famous temples of Varadharaja Perumal or Ekambareswarar. It will be too hectic. Since you stay in Kovalam, you can consider Thiruvidandhai Nithya Kalyana perumal temple (It is special for folks to get married) which is very close. Thiruporur is also close by but gets crowded on Fridays.
thanixravindran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:23   #3895
BHPian

Quote:

4. If we have to complete the Chennai experience by visiting Pondy Bazaar, T Nagar, and the famous temples - Kapaleeshwarar Temple, Parthasarathy Temple,

5. Also, planning to visit Mahabalipuram one of the days and if any enthusiasm is still left, Kanchipuram on the way back to BLR Dont want to do too many things here. Just one or two iconic temples and good food. Similar question regarding parking as above. Kindly advise. ( I havent studied the threads for these places yet)
Just a few suggestions, in addition to what others have already chipped in.

If visit to Pondy Bazaar and T.Nagar is for textiles and jewellery, then you can skip that and instead head to Chromepet - Pallavaram stretch (GST road), where all the major retail chains have set shop. It will be less crowded and parking would be relatively easily available. There are certain decent restaurants also thereabout like Balaji Bhavan and Dal Chini.

Kanchipuram in itself would require a day, sometimes two. If you are short of time then make a visit to Orikkai mani mandapam atleast.
Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:07   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is not tagged in gmap yet. But like mentioned, it is just next to Upashana.

Here is a pic taken yesterday from the old HSB opposite side:

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-hsb.jpg

Quote:
On a side note, the diagonally opposite old Saravana Bhavan hotel (Towars Sriperumbudur to Kanchipuram direction) is deteriorating with badly maintained rest rooms.
-Ravi
Absolutely true, I'd call it SB mess now. Food is ok. Service and rest room is below average. I have seen your post but still went there as I did not find any other option for lunch on my return yesterday. The new HSB and Upashana being on the opposite side, those looked inconvenient as I assumed there in no U-turns in the near vicinity.

Was planning for a lunch at Arya Nivas, Sriperumbudur but that was closed and hence went on till this HSB. No good hotels in/around/after Poonamalle is it.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 23rd August 2022 at 15:22.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 19:22   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Absolutely true, I'd call it SB mess now. Food is ok. Service and rest room is below average. I have seen your post but still went there as I did not find any other option for lunch on my return yesterday. The new HSB and Upashana being on the opposite side, those looked inconvenient as I assumed there in no U-turns in the near vicinity.

Was planning for a lunch at Arya Nivas, Sriperumbudur but that was closed and hence went on till this HSB. No good hotels in/around/after Poonamalle is it.
That's right. Unfortunately there are no good food stops from Thandalam to Kanchipuram. The first decent one is HSB on left side towards Kanchipuram. If it is lunch time, i stop there in old HSB without a choice, if it is tea/snacks/dinner/breakfast time , i skip and driver further and break at Murugan Idli shop which is 5 kms before Chennasamudram toll.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 10:24   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right. Unfortunately there are no good food stops from Thandalam to Kanchipuram.
There is one at the Sriperumbudur bypass entry right? (its a bit busy though) and a CCD at the other end of Sriperumbudur bypass (opposite side). I can't remember anything else until the array of restaurants around Tiruvallur/Tiruttani turnoff.

Usually I don't look for one that early/late.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:06   #3899
BHPian

We concluded our Chennai trip from Thursday to Sunday. Throughout the trip I felt very much humbled by the amount of amazing suggestions and valuable tips you guys had shared. If I had to depend only on gmaps while gmaps is doing its thing every now and then, it would have definitely taken us for a ride. There were very few unknowns, entire thing went very smooth and we had very good time in Chennai for 4 days. So thank you very much guys!
mankuthimma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 20:07   #3900
BHPian

Few updates from the trip as I couldn't spend much time in the morning writing this down:

- The combination of Chittoor route and the Sungavarchatram-SH120-SH48 entry to Chennai made the entire drive very relaxed and peaceful, both onward and return journeys. SH120 & SH48 beats the NH48 in its current state. It is a great discovery, kudos to our esteemed members!!

- There were few bad patches on the AP side between Chittoor and TN border, but not exceeding 500m at a stretch. Diversions on NH48 after Chennasamdrum Toll plaza are not that problematic, except when there are impatient drivers who are trying to squeeze haphazardly.

- Crossing Ranipet with gmaps routing is fine. Roads were wide and good. But it is bit tricky with maze of roads within the town. gmaps also contributes its part by suggesting all kinds of alternate routes when it is not necessary.
While going towards Chennai, NH40 is blocked for construction work. There was a board indicating diversion to Chennai which looked wider than gmaps route. On confirming with locals, took that route which led to Krishnagiri Trunk road and eventually towards Arcot bypass road and then NH48. Bit longer than gmaps, but took some time asking around to take the correct road to NH48. While returning, just followed gmaps route which was also ok, but bit misleading, the other car in our group got misled and they eventually took Krishnagiri route to avoid the hassles.

- At Sungavarchatram, didn't realize that my gmaps had frozen, so had gone past the exit from NH48. But luckily there was a U turn in front of Dell factory and then a exit to the service road which led to SH120. Accidental discovery, but realized it was better than plunging into the huge potholes under the Sungavarchatram flyover on the return journey.

- Coming from Bangalore, we were all mighty impressed with road quality within Chennai, atleast the roads I took. Even when I had the misfortune of driving to Nanganallur in the peak evening traffic on Thursday, it was not that stressful since the traffic kept on flowing. ECR is butter smooth to drive, all the way till Mahabalipuram.

- Thanks for the tips for taking correct roads at Sholinganallur junction and Velachery station. It wouldnt have been obvious without these helpful guidance. Luckily found a parking spot near the hall, otherwise I was planning to park at Alandur Metro station as suggested.

- Next day, booked a cab to Nanganallur and then to the city. The roads the cabbie was taking, showed us other side of Chennai, I wouldnt have dared to drive in those roads. Felt like Bangalore at certain places.

- All the temples were great - Nanganallur Anjaneyar temple, Kapaleeshwarar temple, Parthasarathy temple, Ashtalakshmi temple

- Weather was pleasant with bit of rains - we could enjoy the Mahabalipuram sites and Kovalam beaches. Blue flag beach was nice.

- Unfortunately, couldnt try out the iconic restaurants in city as suggested here. Bad timing, we were not hungry after the heavy breakfast/lunch at the function. But had stopped by these places at various times. Excellent food as always in Tamil Nadu !
- Sangeethas at ECR
- Sri Krishna Bhavan at OMR. Padur
- The Shack at Elliots near Ashtalakshmi temple
- Murugaatrupadai at ECR, a new place close to Mahabalipuram
- Mamalla Heritage at Mahabalipuram
- HSB not so good, even the new one on the Kanchipuram highway. Restrooms at Upashana hotel next door was much cleaner

- Kanchipuram was reserved for next time, and also all other suggestions/ideas that we couldnt cover this time in Chennai.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 29th August 2022 at 20:10.
mankuthimma is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks