Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2022, 19:51   #4036
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I used this horrible road from Madras to Bangalore today in my Thar. Left Madras at 0715. Crossed the Sri Perumbudur Toll at 0815 paying 50 Rs on Fastag. Then kept driving non stop until we stopped for Breakfast at Murugan’s near Ranipet at 0900. It was very crowded but as usual the service was efficient.
Then all the way to Chennasamudram, crossing that toll at 1013am paying Rs 45 on Fastag. Then it was on to Vellore and Ambur and Krishnagiri and all.

The road more or less all the way from Madras upto Chennasamudram and almost upto Vellore is badly potholed, full of lacerations and broken surfaces and while there seems to be some work going on, it is patchy at best. And they are charging us toll for this rubbish! Thats the unkindest cut of all.

I actually stopped as soon as I reached the Toll barrier and asked the fellow at Chennasamudram why we were being charged Toll for this nonsense. Of course he just gaped at me. And behind me a royal blue Hyundai car started getting angry and honking at me while I was talking to that attendant so I waved and moved on.

Stopped again for a leg stretch and coffee at Shoolagiri CCD and finally clocked in to Bangalore at 2pm.

It is absolutely ridiculous that such an important arterial road between two major Southern Capital Cities is allowed to remain in such a disgusting state and for such a long time.

My Thar, no doubt can take the strain but why should it be forced to take it, when I pay taxes and tolls?

And my Senior Citizen Dad is using this same road in his car tomorrow to come visiting us. Why should he, who has faithfully paid his taxes and dues for 40 years of his working life be forced to endure this rubbish?

I think that we shall need the PM and the honourable Transport Minister of India and all their cohorts, to use this stretch of road a few times sitting maybe in the back of a nice bumpy Fortuner, from Madras to Bangalore and back and then perhaps they will take note and fix it.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2022 at 23:45. Reason: Political - toned down
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:28   #4037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

The road more or less all the way from Madras upto Chennasamudram and almost upto Vellore is badly potholed, full of lacerations and broken surfaces and while there seems to be some work going on, it is patchy at best. And they are charging us toll for this rubbish! Thats the unkindest cut of all.
Last Christmas was when I visited Chennai for the first time by road. I had done trips to Mahabalipuram and Pondicherry and my thinking was that it would be a well maintained 4 lane after Arcot all the way upto Chennai.
I was really surprised to see that a major highway between two cities in such poor condition. Guess the situation is the same even now.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 16:39   #4038
Senior - BHPian

The Nazarathpet junction has become a nightmare of sorts while coming into the city. Those coming in from Kanchipuram side towards Chennai city may face a tough entry into the city with all the holiday traffic coming back tomorrow
Old 31st December 2022, 20:13   #4039
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its time to divorce the main route and marry either take Uthiramerur-Cheyyar-Arcot or Tindivanam-Tiruvannamalai-Chengam route, till this 6-laning nonsense completes.
Already the kanchipuram-walajabad-oragadam-vendalur alternate adds ~25km to original route. With what you are suggesting, I think it will add a further ~40km, taking the overall distance penalty to ~65km or additional 1.5hrs to the timing that we used to do when the regular sriperumbudur route used to be in somewhat motorable state.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 21:48   #4040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
With what you are suggesting
Its not for everyone. I live close to SRM, so in my case am already past all city traffic points except the Singaperumalkoil Peripheral Ring Road intersection which is a mess in the evenings. Plus I don't mind driving additional distance for peace of mind.

I've already tried Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur-Mangal X Road-Cheyyar-Arcot in May 2022. At that time it costed 30-40 min extra with the main route reasonably motorable then. Seeing the condition day before, this time gap would be smaller.

It might be February when I get a chance to try the Tiruvannamalai route.
Old 31st December 2022, 23:09   #4041
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Its not for everyone. I live close to SRM, so in my case am already past all city traffic points except the Singaperumalkoil Peripheral Ring Road intersection which is a mess in the evenings. Plus I don't mind driving additional distance for peace of mind.
Don't take me wrong, we all wouldn't mind extra kms or extra duration if both man and machine are not subjected to torture. However, the kanchipuram-walajabad-oragadam-vandalur option, started off like this for me, however, I realized that even this alternative has it's own share of skeletons in the cupboard. The bad stretches are by no means "negligible" , even though they are lesser than the regular route.
Which is the reason why I am tempted to ask, "unless we know the current condition (only one way to find out), will this alternative's alternative, that adds even more distance, also have it's share of torture points?"
Old 3rd January 2023, 16:54   #4042
Senior - BHPian

Here's today's update on the Chennai - Bangalore stretch with starting point as EGA theatre (5:05 AM start) :

1) Followed the regular route from Koyambedu.
2) Koyambedu to Maduravoyal continues to be the bumpy stretch it always is.
3) Maduravoyal to Sriperumbudur toll plaza has a bumpy surface with potholes seen near junctions. Absolutely manageable.
4) Sriperumbudur toll plaza to the second toll plaza has lots of diversions. The road conditions in the diversions tend to be very bad with deep potholes. Certain sections of the main highway have the top layer broken. Manageable but slow.

It took only 2 hours to get to the second toll plaza since there was very little traffic.

From the second toll plaza till Bangalore via Krishnagiri can only be described as decent. It's a shadow of the super smooth surfaces observed when it was newly laid.

Flyover construction had been observed around Ambur which is a welcome change.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:22   #4043
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Between 4 and 5, it's bad (repair work happening, mud-moundy portions and 'layer off' holes are present, need to be careful.
I think this is the best options as it balances most of it. If one can manage the bad roads between Kanchi to Walajabad this should be OK. Also Why not use the Military road bypass? Is the traffic that bad?
Old 3rd January 2023, 21:12   #4044
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think this is the best options as it balances most of it. If one can manage the bad roads between Kanchi to Walajabad this should be OK. Also Why not use the Military road bypass? Is the traffic that bad?
What is 'military road bypass' ? Can you please show on a map screenshot ?
Old 3rd January 2023, 21:16   #4045
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is 'military road bypass' ? Can you please show on a map screenshot ?
Here is the route link: Link

This is much more cleaner in my opinion. No railway crossing as well.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 20:24   #4046
BHPian

I'll be travelling to Ulsoor next week by bike. I live near Madhuravoyal. Which route is better for bikes? I know that roads upto Vellore are horrible since I've went that route twice. Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri-Bangalore OR Arakonnam-Chittoor-Kolar-Hoskote-Bangalore. Also, when will it be a good time to start from Chennai so that I could ride peacefully without much moving traffic in the highway? I'm planning to either start by 6AM or after 10AM. Please guide me through.

Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries-route-map.jpg
Old 12th January 2023, 11:51   #4047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5haS_0209 View Post
I'll be travelling to Ulsoor next week by bike. I live near Madhuravoyal. Which route is better for bikes? I know that roads upto Vellore are horrible since I've went that route twice. Vellore-Ambur-Krishnagiri-Bangalore OR Arakonnam-Chittoor-Kolar-Hoskote-Bangalore. Also, when will it be a good time to start from Chennai so that I could ride peacefully without much moving traffic in the highway? I'm planning to either start by 6AM or after 10AM. Please guide me through.

Attachment 2404246
For Ulsoor destination, you can take Chittoor-Kolar route instead of going through Krishnagiri route and end up driving in Bangalore traffic.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 12:20   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Which route is better for bikes?
One issue with the Chittoor route by bike is there are no places to take a break between Chittoor and Nangli toll, may be about 70km. Also I am not too comfortable riding on whitetopped roads by bike. I try to avoid even city roads if possible let alone the highway.

However distance and traffic wise, it will be much shorter. Not sure about Arakkonam to Chittoor though.
anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 11:49   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take the Chittoor, only because it is peaceful to ride on compared to the Krishnagiri one. The concrete stretch is around 100-110kms and on a bike, it won't feel as smooth as tarmac, but nothing to be concerned about. Once you enter Bangalore, it is just one road to Ulsoor.
Leave early from Chennai as it helps avoid the heat and traffic.
I am not aware of the other route you have mentioned, so won't comment on that. I usually take the Sriperumbadur-Walajapet-Ranipet-Chittoor route when riding or driving. There are eateries on this route, but not as frequent as on the Krishnagiri route. It is better to carry enough fluids and some choco-bars since you are on a two-wheeler.

Last edited by tharian : 13th January 2023 at 12:08.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2023, 14:27   #4050
BHPian

Drove to Bharatiya city from saligramam today morning. Took the porur-kundrathur-ranipet-chitoor route. Significant updates

1. From ranipet the traffic is diverted via BHEL road and rejoin just before tiruvalam. This road is excellent compared to the normal one
2. All monster potholes in TN-AP border have been patched with fresh coat of Tar
3. The stretch before chitoor collector office is completely relaid with fresh coat of tar. Should last atleast till next rains

Pleasant drive and since there was no traffic due to holidays in chennai, travel time was 4h 40 min with a 15 min break for breakfast

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks