Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 06:00   #3916
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah45 View Post
With my current car, GC is much lower than my previous Nexon, so reading the updates from Ravib probably need to explore this.
But not sure how safe is it to use this road ( Kanchi - Walaja) after 6 or 7pm in the evening.

Dont think roads would be bad. Just that you need to look at traffic, especially inter-town.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd September 2022 at 08:55.
Old 2nd September 2022, 08:44   #3917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
So plan for more times, due to these traffic pile up and very bad roads due to heavy rains.
Is it totally avoid NH4 till Arcot bad? Or just avoid peak times and bad weather bad?

Walajabad-Military Road is not an exciting prospect, given the traffic it sees. Unless it is going to be made 4-lane (unlikely).

Am toying with the Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur-Manampathy-Mangal X Road-Cheyyar-Arcot option. There are 3 diversions on Bukkathurai-Uthiramerur as it is being widened, another 2 or 3 on Mangal-Cheyyar. You can't exceed 80. So thinking if its really worth detours.
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:19   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
Instead of coming back to Oragadam road, you take the Manimangalam - Sriperumpudur road. In fact it the shortest route and good one too. But Sunguvarchatram SH120 is a better option.
tter
I meant Mannivakkam, not Manimangalam, sorry for the confusion.

I felt the Manimangalam route is too narrow and winding, so prefer this one.
Old 3rd September 2022, 14:29   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
How far is the U-turn?
The U-turn must be hardly 1.5-2 kms away from Sungavarachatram exit. gmaps doesnt show that. Not sure whether it is an official break-in median or it is opened due to ongoing construction work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
That bad section under the bridge has been there for more than 4 years.

For return, you can take a right on the 'service lane' of the Bangalore bound traffic It is a 2-way, that serves as both exit/entry lane to Bangalore bound traffic as well as connect to Sriperumbudur Sipcot. I didn't realize this until few trucks took them.
Yes, I realized later that I should have done that. I kept looking only on the left for any possibility of joining the highway before the bridge, as is the norm usually, but I missed to observe if there was a break in median to allow right turn before the bridge.

Last edited by mankuthimma : 3rd September 2022 at 14:35.
mankuthimma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 06:02   #3920
BHPian

Planning a Chennai- Bangalore trip in two days.

Given the current state of road affairs as stated in recent posts would Chennai - Arakkonam (via ORR) - Chittoor route be a good alternative. Are there any spots/stretches of bother ?

Or would Chennai - Thakkolam (again thru ORR) be better than above.

Have never taken either of the above, so far.

G map is showing 'blue' all the way, now.

Please advise.
Old 5th September 2022, 08:44   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Planning a Chennai- Bangalore trip in two days.

Have never taken either of the above, so far.

G map is showing 'blue' all the way, now.

Please advise.
Can you share from which part of the city you are planning to start and where exactly you intend to go to? That'll make our suggestions more straightforward.

Besides, I did travel on the original Chittoor route through the highway and I must say, if you don't need to use the car much at the destination, better to go by train or bus. The roads beyond Ranipet are a disaster and they have the guts to collect toll for it

Last edited by Turbohead : 5th September 2022 at 08:45.
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 09:31   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you share from which part of the city you are planning to start and where exactly you intend to go to? That'll make our suggestions more straightforward.
Leaving from near Tambaram. Destination Mahadevpura.
Old 5th September 2022, 12:45   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can indeed take Vandalur-Oragadam-Sipcot-Sunguvarchatram route to join NH4 and then drive through Chittoor route to reach Mahadevapura, because Bangalore bound direction is not a major problem compared to Madras bound direction where service roads are really bad

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:17   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
You can indeed take Vandalur-Oragadam-Sipcot-Sunguvarchatram route to join NH4 and then drive through Chittoor route to reach Mahadevapura, because Bangalore bound direction is not a major problem compared to Madras bound direction where service roads are really bad

-Ravi
Whatever you do you will end up testing your vehicle's water wading capabilities in the bangalore outskirts. Postpone your trip as far as possible.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 11:53   #3925
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, may need to drive down to Chennai (Nanganallur area) this weekend.

Couple of questions:
1. Any waterlogging issue enroute?4
2. Is it raining in Chennai?
3. If we leave at 0400 (Yelahanka), should we take the Chittoor route or stick to Hosur?
4. Anything to look out for when entering Chennai? Destination is near the airport.
Old 6th September 2022, 14:38   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Couple of questions:
It's not raining in Chennai, even so it does - should not be an issue as long as you enter Chennai in non-peak hours

Quote:
3. If we leave at 0400 (Yelahanka), should we take the Chittoor route or stick to Hosur?
You may end up in peak hour traffic at Chennai, try to reach Sriperumbudur by 11am.

Quote:
4. Anything to look out for when entering Chennai? Destination is near the airport.
Follow previous posts or use Google map which will help you navigate. Mostly, it will ask you to take right turn before Sriperumbudur-Manimangalam-Tambaram-Nanganallur
Innysta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 12:47   #3927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Couple of questions:
1. Any waterlogging issue enroute?4
To answer your questions:

1) No
2) Not a big concern or an issue in this season.
3) That's the usual time i leave. You can take Chittoor route and not need to go via Hosur route.
4) Will be ideal time to enter Madras after dinner break. So you can take Sriperumbudur-Kundrathur-Pallavaram-Airport/Nanganallur route , which will be free after 10 pm or 10.30 pm, which is the time you will be crossing there.

My house is near to airport, so that's the route i normally take.

That said, please see my updates below. You may get slowed down due to bad service roads and traffic jams, so plan accordingly, if you have elders or small kids in car.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 16:58   #3928
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Regarding the sunguvarchantram - oragadam - vandalur - guindy route :

1. Low traffic, peaceful, majority smooth roads, huge relief from the sriperumbudur - poonamallee - porur - guindy madness.

2. It is slightly longer and despite less braking needs, ends up taking same time (or maybe longer?) than the conventional route

3. LowGC and longwheelbase sedans, beware of the ordeal that is the highway underpass, through which we leave/enter sunguvarchantram village and enter/leave the 4L industrial corridor with lots of manufacturing plants either side of the road. That underpass is like a minefield, especially if full of water after rains. Someone in a high GC SUV may not even bother to mention this, but lowGC cars, this is a sweaty palms moment - mega honking from goods carrier vehicles urging you to plough into the minefield, whilst you are figuring out the delicate surgery that needs to be performed with the underfloor navigation of your car. At the same time, two wheelers and opposite traffic will be shooting left right and center, disallowing you to 'see' where the mines are located on the 'road'.

Last edited by venkyhere : 11th September 2022 at 16:59.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 06:44   #3929
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like Ravi said, it does not make sense to go to Arakkonam. Had you been starting from North Chennai then yes, Avadi-Thiruvallur-Arakkonam-Ponnai may make sense.

But Tambaram: its a no brainer. You should use the south side industrial corridor to your advantage. (Vandalur/Oragadam).
Old 12th September 2022, 07:39   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Like Ravi said, it does not make sense to go to Arakkonam. Had you been starting from North Chennai then yes, Avadi-Thiruvallur-Arakkonam-Ponnai may make sense.

But Tambaram: its a no brainer. You should use the south side industrial corridor to your advantage. (Vandalur/Oragadam).
Absolutely. No doubt about the route mentioned by you. This is what I normally take.

I had planned a trip last week (since postponed due to the rain and flood situations in Bangalore). Also there was a post mentioning about the rain affected stretch near Kanchipuram, Sunguvarchatram etc. Hence I raised this query.

Thanks anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks