Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2022, 09:40   #3961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Is this the Walajabad-Military Road route (GMap)? If so, has the widening completed?
I have included the route here beyond Walajahbad through Ayyampettai to NH48

Beyond Ayyampettai it's primarily country roads (single carriageway) but traffic is light and the surface, good

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 7th October 2022 at 09:45.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 09:45   #3962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Beyond Ayyampettai it's primarily country roads (single carriageway) but traffic is light and the surface, good
It is indeed the Walajabad-Military Road stretch Looks like the resurfacing is done.

What time did you negotiate the stretch?
Old 7th October 2022, 09:50   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is indeed the Walajabad-Military Road stretch Looks like the resurfacing is done.

It was a 4 pm departure from Madipakkam, so probably after 5:30 pm. To be specific, the route after Ayyampettai meandered through Kaliyanoor and Melambi
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 22:12   #3964
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I have included the route here beyond Walajahbad through Ayyampettai to NH48

Quote:
To be specific, the route after Ayyampettai meandered through Kaliyanoor and Melambi
Wow, this is a great find. That means, it's smooth roads all the way from Vandalur, through Oragadam, through Walajabad, take right - through Ayyampettai, through the single-lane country road which you described above , to join NH48, just 29km before the Chennasamudram toll. Thank you very much.
Old 10th October 2022, 08:22   #3965
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It was a 4 pm departure from Madipakkam, so probably after 5:30 pm. To be specific, the route after Ayyampettai meandered through Kaliyanoor and Melambi
Quote:

Seems like he took the north side of Kanchi. Are there any later developments to Military road? I think more and more I am getting inclined to get off the 4-lane at Kanchi itself. Also how good/bad is crossing Walajabad town?
Old 10th October 2022, 08:40   #3966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Seems like he took the north side of Kanchi. I think more and more
I just realized this. Have possibly been this way, during our Athi Varadar detours in 2019.

Quote:
Are there any later developments to Military road?
No. It doesn't see serious traffic either. If Walajabad-Military Road junction is good, going via Military Road would be the best, since roads are much wider once you get past the initial left-right turns.

Quote:
I am getting inclined to get off the 4-lane at Kanchi itself.
Where? There are 3 exits to Kanchipuram

Quote:
Also how good/bad is crossing Walajabad town?
Not a big deal.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 08:47   #3967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where? There are 3 exits to Kanchipuram
I meant all the way to Chennai. Instead of exiting at Sunguvarchatram, get off at Kanchi, Military road (use Entire Kanchi bypass or one of the other ways to bypass), Walajabad, Oragadam, Vandalur.

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2022 at 08:51.
Old 10th October 2022, 11:42   #3968
BHPian

I travelled to Chennai from Bangalore on 5th October (Vijayadasami day).
Got stuck in a long traffic jam near Saint Gobain Factory (SIPCOT) Sriperumbudur around 6pm.
GMaps showed a blood red up to Sriperumbudur (Rajiv Gandhi Memorial junction) about 6km distance. Estimate was about 1 to 1.5 hours to cross this 6km stretch. Traffic was mostly standstill with lots of trucks.

After struggling, crawling and mostly standstill for about 30 minutes, found a break in median where I could take U-turn to Bangalore bound carriageway (near Borg Warner Factory). Took left at Sunguvarchatram (SH120), again left at Kattavakkam (SH48), crossed Oragadam, Padappai, joined ORR at Mannivakkam to go to Pattabiram. Mostly smooth 4-laned roads with very less traffic. Reached home about 1.5 hours later than expected but my left leg was spared.

This was my first time in this (SH120-SH48) route and it was post dusk. But thanks to the recent posts in this thread, I was comfortable taking it even though my family was apprehensive. A big thanks to all those who recommended this route.

PS: On the return journey from Pattabiram, joined ORR at Sitharkadu, DID NOT join NH48 at Nazarethpettai. Instead took ORR exit at Kundrathur. Peaceful, traffic free divided 4-lane SH up to Sriperumbudur to join the NH.
srvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 12:43   #3969
Senior - BHPian

From Bangalore (Yelahanka), I had a 4 pm start on a Friday evening for my onward drive to Chennai and this automatically voided the Hosur route as I had no intention of traversing the length of Bangalore City in the evening

Avoiding Hebbal and KR Puram (outer ring road altogether), I had a quiet drive through predominantly residential layouts in my route (included here) eventually joining at Aavalahalli. The highway was still busy with commuter traffic till some distance past Hoskote Toll but it reverted to a proper highway soon after
Old 18th October 2022, 07:22   #3970
BHPian

Planning to drive from HRBR/ Kasturi Nagar/ KR Puram area in Bengaluru to Kanchipuram, on Friday, spend the night there and then drive to Chennai on Saturday morning. Will leave Bengaluru at 0530-0600.

I have checked Google Maps both yesterday and this morning. It seems to rather stubbornly recommend only the Chittoor route. Maps doesn't even show the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route as an alternative.

I would appreciate some help on the following questions.
(1) What's happening on the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route? What explains Google Maps' allergy to it?

(2) Any good options for breakfast between Bengaluru and Ranipet? Google Maps suggests Sree Krishna Grand, Nangali, but we might get there too early. Woody's Kolar might be an option too, but again, too early.

(3) If the time difference isn't too much, does it make sense to take the Krishnagiri route just because of the additional and more convenient breakfast options?
Old 18th October 2022, 08:39   #3971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naadopaasaka View Post
(1) What's happening on the Hosur-Krishnagiri-Ambur route? What explains Google Maps' allergy to it?

(2) Any good options for breakfast between Bengaluru and Ranipet? Google Maps suggests Sree Krishna Grand, Nangali, but we might get there too early. Woody's Kolar might be an option too, but again, too early.
The issue isn't Hosur to Ambur, rather Kasturi Nagar to Hosur that makes this route much more time consuming.

Krishna grand is not easily accessible when going towards Chennai. You need to go till the toll to take an u turn. There is a hotel Sri varsha grand after the toll which is a bit more accessible.

I would say if you feel Krishna grand is too early, then better to go all the way till a2b arcot.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 08:41   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably because given your starting point, the Chittoor route is quicker (Google by default suggests the route that takes least time as the blue option). When I try it shows the Krishnagiri route.

You can force Google to take you through Krishnagiri by adding a stop there.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 14:42   #3973
BHPian

Thanks @anandhsub and @binand!

Considering that there's no specific problem on the Hosur route until after the point at which the two routes meet near Ranipet, I suppose it is easier to take a decision depending on what google maps says on the basis of live traffic. I suspect that if we're on time and leave at 0530, even the journey to Hosur shouldn't be a problem. More eateries on that route too.

I'll keep the forum posted on what we end up doing and how it goes.
Old 18th October 2022, 15:34   #3974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect that if we're on time and leave at 0530, even the journey to Hosur shouldn't be a problem.
The ORR problem is metro works - I saw last weekend that the Doddanekkundi flyover is blocked for traffic, for example.

Since you are starting from Kasturi Nagar I reckon inward OMR > Indira Nagar+Koramangala 100 ft Road > Madiwala > BETL might work out to be quicker at 5.30 AM.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 16:04   #3975
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks @anandhsub and @binand!

Considering that there's no specific problem on the Hosur route until after the point at which the two routes meet near Ranipet, I suppose it is easier to take a decision depending on what google maps says on the basis of live traffic. I suspect that if we're on time and leave at 0530, even the journey to Hosur shouldn't be a problem. More eateries on that route too.

I'll keep the forum posted on what we end up doing and how it goes.
Any specific reason you want to drive through ORR and Hosur? The only advantage the Hosur route offers is a larger number of restaurants but comes with more traffic density till Krishnagiri.

In the time you come to Silkboard and E-city, you will be cruising on the Hoskote route.
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks