Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 09:28   #4246
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

I am not sure of diversions post Vellore, I frequently use the BLR-Krishnagiri-Vellore stretch and road is decent till I take a diversion off near Vellore. There are 3 diversions if I remember correctly , one near Krishnagiri after we take a left from the highway towards Chennai where they are constructing a flyover and 2 are in Ambur where they are constructing flyovers again.
Old 18th August 2023, 20:53   #4247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribalram View Post

To avoid the Sriperumbudur stretch, I plan to take the Neeravalur - Kattavaakkam-Padappai-Vandalur-Tambaram route. The roads were good in this stretch when I drove in Jan.
Bengaluru to chennai:

Started @ 0505 from Sarjapur Rd & reached Ashok Nagar in Chennai @1120 with a 30 mins break at Ranipet for breakfast(337 kms) . Could have been faster, if not for the road closures early morning in ORR. Wise decision to take the Kolar - Chittoor - Ranipet route. Roads are very good. No truck traffic at all in the morning. If I have to nitpick, it would be the slight vibrations in the white topped road between Mulbagal and Ranipet.

Several diversions, slow moving trucks in the single lane from Ranipet till Neeravalur turn. From there until Chromepet/Pallavaram was a breeze until I hit the city traffic.

Planning to take the same route back to Bengaluru.
haribalram is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 18:32   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haribalram View Post
Bengaluru to chennai:

Started @ 0505 from Sarjapur Rd & reached Ashok Nagar in Chennai @1120 with a 30 mins break at Ranipet for breakfast(337 kms) . Could have been faster, if not for the road closures early morning in ORR. Wise decision to take the Kolar - Chittoor - Ranipet route. Roads are very good. No truck traffic at all in the morning. If I have to nitpick, it would be the slight vibrations in the white topped road between Mulbagal and Ranipet.

Several diversions, slow moving trucks in the single lane from Ranipet till Neeravalur turn. From there until Chromepet/Pallavaram was a breeze until I hit the city traffic.

Chennai to Bengaluru:

Started @ 0855 from Ashok Nagar & reached Sarjapur Rd @ 1545. Totally 45 mins break for lunch and refuel. Same route in the reverse direction. Surely a compelling option for day time drivers. The toll is INR 275 & I suspect this is 100 lesser than the regular route.
haribalram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 19:26   #4249
BHPian

Few years back, I used to take Sriperumbudur-Mudichur-Tambaram- Airport route and that was my standard route. But nowadays I see this route is nowhere mentioned. Even G-maps doesnt suggest this route at all. I found this route better than Sriperumbudur-Kundrathur-Pallavaram route. Has the Mudichur route deteriorated ? Few years back itself it had quite a bit of traffic, no idea how it is now. Anyone travelled this route recently?
Old 29th August 2023, 22:23   #4250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasAuto1985 View Post
Has the Mudichur route deteriorated
Mudichur-Manimangalam-Sriperumbudur had been taken up for 4-laning. Plus there are sections of Gandhi Road-Mudichur have been taken for underground drain work from time to time.

Besides even in 2017, traffic used to be held up at the Sriperumbudur end for a good 15-20 mins to merge into NH4.

That's why you see Maps suggesting Vandalur-Oragadam-Sriperumbudur Sipcot-Sunguvarchatram.

Not a fan of Thirumudivakkam-Tiruneermalai-Pammal-Ponds. Its a hairy experience to drive most part of the day, especially on the Pammal-Ponds end
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 20:22   #4251
BHPian

Would it be a good choice to take the Vandalur - Oragadam - Walajabad - Military Road - Sevilimedu - Kancheepuram Exit towards Bangalore with a 5AM start from Thiruvanmiyur ?

Suggestions on alternative routes are welcome.
Old 5th September 2023, 21:08   #4252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Would it be a good choice to take the Vandalur - Oragadam - Walajabad - Military Road - Sevilimedu - Kancheepuram Exit towards Bangalore with a 5AM start from Thiruvanmiyur ?

Suggestions on alternative routes are welcome.
Miltary road was under a lot of repairs and the Kanchi bangalore-exit to Palar bridge road used to have lot of potholes. (I was on it few months back). Not sure how they have evolved over time (bad or worse!)

In general I would say its easer to come back to Sunguvarchatram and get on the 4-lane.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 10:27   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Miltary road was under a lot of repairs and the Kanchi bangalore-exit to Palar bridge road used to have lot of potholes. (I was on it few months back). Not sure how they have evolved over time (bad or worse!)

In general I would say its easer to come back to Sunguvarchatram and get on the 4-lane.
Thanks Amp for the quick response.
With the recent rains in KTCC belt over the past one month, I would give the benefit of "doubt" that the roads conditions would not have improved between Walajabad and Sevilmedu till the Kancheepuram exit.

Would explore Sunguvarchatram this time.
ARe you suggesting branch out at Oragadam to Sunguvarchatram or this route :
https://goo.gl/maps/KvZv9hLJxrjo5AVU8
Old 6th September 2023, 10:49   #4254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
ARe you suggesting branch out at Oragadam to Sunguvarchatram or this route :
https://goo.gl/maps/KvZv9hLJxrjo5AVU8
The quoted one. Also you dont have to go to the town center when you are coming from Chennai. There is way to join the bypass directly.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 11:28   #4255
Senior - BHPian

Travelled to Chennai and back last weekend by road after a year. I was avoiding travelling by road knowing the metro work happening inside Chennai on the route I take. I use the Hoskote route since that is the easiest to access and the roadworks were almost as good as done till the AP-TN border.
The fun part like always is from the Chennasamudram toll plaza to Chennai. Although the roads are in good condition and 6 lane in most places (still without lanes marked), like ancient relics, the half built flyovers stand in between just like they were last year. Being part of the GQ and a important highway, this is plain irresponsibility by the authorities. Some of these half built flyover don't even go over any intersection. It is just placed there like a Lego block.

I was heading to Mylapore and knowing from the last few times how badly congested the Poonamalle road was due to metro works, I took a different route via Koyambedu. On the return, I made the mistake of using the Poonamalle route since I left early morning thinking traffic will below and in turn lost an hour due to construction activity.
The highlight though was the last section between Sriperumbadur and the ring road which is done up fully and was a breeze with no congestion or blocks.

Last edited by tharian : 6th September 2023 at 11:30.
Old 6th September 2023, 12:46   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Some of these half built flyover don't even go over any intersection. It is just placed there like a Lego block.
+1
Exactly i was thinking why the heck a flyover is needed for a straight road with no major or minor intersection! Many of them are built like that and only for couple of intersections it made sense atleast ot me, but at the outset it looked like they just built it because too much money available and don't know what to do .

I am ignorant to understand their logic, if they have one !

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 21:48   #4257
BHPian

Hi,

we have to travel to Chennai tomorrow. We will be starting from Electronic City around 7:30am. Initial destination is Chamiers Road in Chennai.

Which route is suggested? thanks.
Old 9th September 2023, 05:18   #4258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Hi,

we have to travel to Chennai tomorrow. We will be starting from Electronic City around 7:30am. Initial destination is Chamiers Road in Chennai.

Which route is suggested? thanks.
Coming via Krishnagiri is the best bet considering you are starting from Electronic City. Considering tomorrow is Saturday and around afternoon time, the Poonamallee - Porur - Guindy stretch may not be that bad
pypkmsrikanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 12:03   #4259
BHPian

I did a Sembakkam - Dharmapuri-Sembakkam trip last week. Took the Vandalur- Oragadam- Vallam Vadagal SIPCOT, Sunguvarchatram route to join the Chennai- Vellore highway only to find the road condition inside SIPCOT to be really bad. It has deteriorated since the last time I took it 6 months ago. While returning, took the Sriperumpudur, Oragadam, Vandalur road which was far better. Not sure of the status of Sriperumpudur -Tambaram road now.

Chennasamduram- Sriperumpudur is good in patches and worse around Kanchipuram with construction being abandoned on few of the flyovers. They shouldn't be collecting tolls on this stretch at all.
Old 10th September 2023, 21:21   #4260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Coming via Krishnagiri is the best bet considering you are starting from Electronic City. Considering tomorrow is Saturday and around afternoon time, the Poonamallee - Porur - Guindy stretch may not be that bad
Thanks. We used this route. Started at 8:30 from Hosa Road Jn and reached Sriperumbudur at 13:45. Return leg took about 5 hrs, same route.

All the bad & good things about the route have been previously mentioned. So no surprises. We were on a Kodiaq which helped to smoothen out some of the road irregularities
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks