Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 21:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Info needed on Hyderabad-Hampi route

Hi All,

I too spent the Pongal at Hampi. Left Hyderabad on 14th Jan 6.30 am, took the Hyd - Jadcherla - Mehaboob Nagar - Raichur - Manvi - Sindhanur - Gangawati - Hospet route. Arrived at Hospet around 4Pm, checked into Malligi hotel, visited TB dam in the evening. On 15 th Jan saw Hampi and surrounding places. Started the return journey to Hyderabad on 16th 8.30 am and reached home at Maredpally around 8 pm. Spent an hour at pillalamarri at Mahaboobnagar.

The route is excellent till Gangavathi. Gangavathi to Hospet is horrible. Luckily while returning, took the route to Gangavathi via Kampli, which is about 40 Kms and much, much better than the one we took on 14th.
Old 4th March 2011, 13:50   #47

We did this route between 24th-27th Feb. We did the route Hyderabad -> Jadcherla -> Mahaboobnagar -> Raichur -> Manvi -> Sindhanur -> Gangavati -> Bhootkumpa X Roads -> Hospet

Of course the NH13 from Boothkumpa to Hospet (abt 20kms till TB Dam Circle) is in absolutely disarray and ridden with potholes which can never be avoided. To add to the woes the truck traffic is at absolute high from 4 PM or so. The train of slow moving trucks can stretch for close to 1/2 km at times - be very careful if you are taking this route.

I take this route as the drive from Gangavati to Boothkumpa X Roads is simply scenic with paddy fields and very strange and mystic rock formations (typical of the rocky belt) and the roads are in excellent condition.

One more bottleneck is the Mahaboobnagar city traffic which can be horrible during office hours and can take about 45 mins - 1 hr to cross Mahaboobnagar. I have heard of of a road connecting from NH7 via Bhutpur, but never tried that. I guess all trucks use this route, but never tried it.

We stayed at Malligi Hotel [http://www.malligihotels.com/] and there is no better hotel offering such high value for money and comfort - a decent room costs 1500/- per night with 24hrs checkout. Food is excellent too with immaculate room service.

It is easy to reach Hampi from Malligi hotel as well.

Malligi Hotel -> ask for Dhargha -> Bellary Raod -> Take left at the first canal bridge and drive straight and it will take you to the Railway crossing which will directly lead you to Hampi - there are sufficient sign boards.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:35   #48
BHPian

Back from :
22-04-2011: Hyderabad - Gadwal - Raichur - Gangawati- Hampi
23-04-2011: Hampi -Gangawati - Raichur- Mahbubnagar- Jadcherla -Hyderabad
Onward jaourney was done via Gadwal because I missed Mahbubnagar X road on NH-7. Road from Gadwal to Raichur was horrible after Dharur. Narrow strip with large potholes and moonscape shoulders; in some stretches the road simply dosent exist. IMHO one should keep away from this route even for a day journey. Road from Raichur to Gangawati ( approx 130km) is excellent can maintain a average speed of 100-110kmph. Gangawati to Hampi multiple stretches of the road are just hell . These are mere dirt tracks becuase of ongoing road works.
Caution: between gangawati and kampili, lookout for heavily overloaded tractors with elephant size overhanging bags transporting paddy husk. Night drive not advisable between Gangawati and Hampi ( time from Hyderabad to Hampi almost 7hr 30mins)
Return journey was done on the conventional route i.e. via Rachur- Mahbubnagar- Jadcherla - Hyderabad. Faced some late evening traffic bottle necks while moving through Mahbubnagar town ( No bypass!) Overall road condition was good with ocassional bad patches and pot holes between Raichur and Mahbubnagar(time Hampi to Hyderabad 6 hr 15mins)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries-rsz_hampi_085.jpg  

Old 29th April 2011, 07:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

In the last 2.5 years I have travelled to or through Hampi atleast 6-7 times. The best route if you are going to Hampi Bazaar or even Hospet is
Hyderabad - Jadcherla - MahbubNagar - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangawati - Kampili - Kamalapur - Hampi Bazaar / Hospet.

While going to Virupapur Gadde, one should proceed staright from the Gangawati junction about 8 Kms and should take a U turn from a bridge through a Kutcha Road.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 11:18   #50
BHPian

re: Hyderabad to Hampi : Route Queries

I had recently done the Hyderabad Hampi trip and based on the feedback from this forum and took the Hyd-Mehboobnagar-Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati-Hampi stretch. Overall, the road was pretty good, about 20 km stretch between Mehboobnagar & Raichur riddled with potholes and a 5 km stretch between Gangavati- Hampi (right outside Gangavati and the oil sump on my car paid the price).

On my return trip, I initially considered the NH63 & NH7 route as the repair job done on the car was a temp and ws afraid I wouldn't be able to get any assistance if the m-seal that was used to fix the gaping hole in the sump gave away and the car got stranded but the locals advised me otherwise and I decided to stick to the original route (thank fully the return trip was uneventful and we reached home within 7 hrs).

Overall, a decent road and a little more care on "THE ROAD" and "if not for the stray bolt - sheer negligence of the Skoda work shop personnel" it would have been an excellent trip.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:53   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning a trip to Hampi on Sep 2nd and will be staying over the weekend.

Can someone post the best route to Hampi and also the latest road conditions?

I booked Hotel Malliga and their standard room is Rs.1500++ which comes to Rs.1700 inclusive of breakfast. Hope this is alright and the hotel is a decent one?

This is going to be my first time to Hampi. Appreciate some tips to :-

1. Which main attractions worth seeing?

2. Which are the best places to eat?

3. Any other reccomendations?
Old 28th August 2011, 11:56   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper72 View Post
I had recently done the Hyderabad Hampi trip and based on the feedback from this forum and took the Hyd-Mehboobnagar-Raichur-Sindhanur-Gangavati-Hampi stretch. Overall, the road was pretty good, about 20 km stretch between Mehboobnagar & Raichur riddled with potholes and a 5 km stretch between Gangavati- Hampi (right outside Gangavati and the oil sump on my car paid the price).
Sorry to know that your oil sump took the brunt due to the road conditions? Was it that bad? Which car was it?

What's the total distance from Hyderabad to Hospet?
Old 29th August 2011, 10:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sorry to know that your oil sump took the brunt due to the road conditions? Was it that bad? Which car was it?

What's the total distance from Hyderabad to Hospet?
Thank you for your concern mobike008. I would hafta say that part of the damage was due to a stray bolt that was wedged in between the sump and the engine guard. The impact on the road had lodged this bolt into the sump. It was a blood bath!!

The car is a Skoda Octavia. The +350KM trip took us roughly 8 hrs (incl 1.5 hrs worth of breaks).
Old 29th August 2011, 14:14   #54
BHPian

mobike008 - the best route is the one posted by Milecruncher i.e.
Hyderabad - Jadcherla - MahbubNagar - Raichur - Sindhanur - Gangawati - Kampili - Kamalapur - Hampi Bazaar / Hospet.

I have done this trip in Jan 2011 and a friend of mine did this very recently. The road is awesome - in terms of driveability and scenery. However, 2 stretches to be careful about:
1. Mahbubnagar - Raichur : This is a very patchy route. Some sections are decent, some others with terrible potholes and they come unexpectedly. Driving at 70+ is hazardous as both me and my friend found out - with bent steel rims in our respective cars - thanks to crashing into potholes. You need to be careful on this one.
2. Gangawati - Kampli - Hampi : Has non-tarred sections and quite bumpy - not very advisable at night as traffic on this route is sparse. Again, speeds of 70+ are difficult.

Hampi is quite an awesome place - transports you back into the medieval era.

Attractions : the usual tourist circuit - take a guide from KTDC office close to the Virupaksha temple for the entire day. You should cover all the key places. In addition, I recommend
a) Sunset point - there is also a Ram temple there - this place is close to the KSTDC hotel - you can ask locals for the exact directions - it has awesome views of the setting sun
b) Anjaneya Hill - Its Hanuman's birthplace on the other side of the river
Even if you are not very religious, the place is worth visiting - its a steep climb that takes about 40 mins - but the views are very very neat - you can see the entire region around. Easiest way is take a boat to cross and an auto to reach the foothill
c) Drive around in the hills around Hampi - the rock formations are worth it

The place to eat is Mango Tree restaurant - close to Virupaksha temple - but need to follow a different route to reach. Lovely views and the best food in Hampi. Btw, as a foodie, dont have high expectations at most places in Hampi ... the food in general is nothing to rave about. There are lots of firangi khana places near Virupaksha temple. As you might realize, Hampi seems more popular with foreign tourists than Indian !

Last edited by RoadTiger : 29th August 2011 at 14:23.
RoadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 14:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
mobike008,

IMHO, MC's suggested route is the best.

However, during April'2011 the stretch between Kampili and Kamalapur was very very bad. I had to drive on dirt tracks and loose gravel as the road construction was going on at different locations on this stretch. Dont know the current condition. Albeit being longer, Gangawati to Hospet via Budugumpa X roads could be a better option.

(Avoid route to Raichur via Gadwal. Strecth between Dharur and Raichur is moonscape with jagged edges. Carraigeway is just wide enough for a single vehicle)
Old 1st September 2011, 10:19   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

I came to know yesterday from someone that a bridge between Mahbhubnagar and Raichur has been washed away due to rains?

Does anyone have any info if that's right and any alternate route/s?
Old 1st September 2011, 20:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I came to know yesterday from someone that a bridge between Mahbhubnagar and Raichur has been washed away due to rains?

Does anyone have any info if that's right and any alternate route/s?
The bridge across Tungabhadra that was connecting Mantralaya and Raichur has been washed away in the floods that came two years ago. Even the makeshift bridge got washed away due to recent rains. So, Mantralaya is connected to Raichur only by the railway bridge. Are you referring to this bridge or something different?

Prasad
Old 6th September 2011, 14:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
The bridge across Tungabhadra that was connecting Mantralaya and Raichur has been washed away in the floods that came two years ago. Even the makeshift bridge got washed away due to recent rains. So, Mantralaya is connected to Raichur only by the railway bridge. Are you referring to this bridge or something different?
That must be it as I never ventured on the Mantralaya-Raichur road so didnt face any issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
mobike008 - the best route is the one posted by Milecruncher i.e.

1. Mahbubnagar - Raichur : This is a very patchy route. Some sections are decent, some others with terrible potholes and they come unexpectedly. Driving at 70+ is hazardous as both me and my friend found out - with bent steel rims in our respective cars - thanks to crashing into potholes. You need to be careful on this one.
2. Gangawati - Kampli - Hampi : Has non-tarred sections and quite bumpy - not very advisable at night as traffic on this route is sparse. Again, speeds of 70+ are difficult.

Hampi is quite an awesome place - transports you back into the medieval era.

Attractions : the usual tourist circuit - take a guide from KTDC office close to the Virupaksha temple for the entire day. You should cover all the key places. In addition, I recommend
a) Sunset point - there is also a Ram temple there - this place is close to the KSTDC hotel - you can ask locals for the exact directions - it has awesome views of the setting sun
b) Anjaneya Hill - Its Hanuman's birthplace on the other side of the river
Even if you are not very religious, the place is worth visiting - its a steep climb that takes about 40 mins - but the views are very very neat - you can see the entire region around. Easiest way is take a boat to cross and an auto to reach the foothill
c) Drive around in the hills around Hampi - the rock formations are worth it

The place to eat is Mango Tree restaurant - close to Virupaksha temple - but need to follow a different route to reach. Lovely views and the best food in Hampi. Btw, as a foodie, dont have high expectations at most places in Hampi ... the food in general is nothing to rave about. There are lots of firangi khana places near Virupaksha temple. As you might realize, Hampi seems more popular with foreign tourists than Indian !
Note: I am using some of your wordings as in the quoted post to save some typing

I drove to Hampi in my White Angel ( i10 Kappa) on Sep 2nd and returned on Sep 5th evening. We took the following route both ways

1. Hyderabad-Jadcherla

Except for 1-2kms post the RGIA airport where they are widening the road. It was a breeze till Jadcherla and took the left below the flyover to crossover to right side towards Mahboobnagar. We found another route while coming back which was much better.

while coming back from Raichur, when you reach the police station. Dont take the right turn towards Jadcherla ( We took the left from the police station towards Raichur while going). Instead, the traffic copy asked us to take the straight road which leads directly onto the NH-7 expressway. Road was smooth and beautiful.

2. Jadcherala-Mahbubnagar :

This road is narrow and patchy and not too bad. Except at a couple of places, due to heavy rains i suppose, there was huge potholes and water logging which we were a bit afraid to cross in the i10. This stretch was only about 100 meters or so. otherwise, it was decent

3. Mahbubnagar - Raichur :

This is a patchy route. Some sections are decent, some others with terrible potholes and they come unexpectedly. Apart from potholes there are numerous speedbreakers once you crossover into KA.

Most of them are those 4-5 rumbler type of breakers which was ok to go over at even 100kmph but, some are treacherously huge and we flew over some of them as all of them are unmarked. As we progressed towards Hampi, these speedbreakers increased alarmingly.

Just before Raichur, there is another bad stretch of 2kms when you pass underneath the railway bridge.

Apart from these sudden interruptions, the road was quite nice and the scenary is beautiful as you pass through several small villages et.all

2. Gangawati - Kampli - Hampi :

This route till Hampi as against your advice was a dream run. Lovely stretch of road with beautiful rock formations on both sides and not a single speedbreaker.

However, about 10-15kms before Hospet town the road is nightmarish as there is lot of construction and road widening happening.

We started from home at 6:45am and reached Hotel Malligi in Hospet at 1:30pm. 395kms in 6:45mins

We started from Hotel Malligi at 11:30am and covered only 30kms in first hour due to traffic and photo stop at Tungabadhra Dam and reached home at 7pm. Had reached RGIA bypass at 5:45pm and went over to parklane to pick up dinner from Reshmi's before reaching home at 7:00pm

Overall, door-to-door, it can be done in maximum 7 hours.

P.S: Btw, we had a horrible experience at Mango Tree and feel its overrated as their thali was totally lacklustre in taste as not a single item can be even rated as average. And, due to monsoons, that place was full of mosquitoes which made our experience even more miserable.

We couldnt eat the Thali so left is almost uneaten and ordered for an Egg Fried Rice which very few hotels can go wrong. And, they served with heavy doses of garlic. Even that we couldnt go halfway through. Compartively, grub at Malligi was excellent.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th September 2011 at 14:53.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 14:35   #59
Senior - BHPian

@mobike008----you've left some portions uncovered in your report, such as the stretch between Jadcherla and Mehboobnagar and also the one between Raichur and Gangawati.

Further, what was the other route you took on your return between Mehboobnanar and RGIA Jn?

By the way, I think it is Hotel Malligi, and not Malliga, but I may be wrong.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:35   #60
BHPian

Hey Mobike008 - Thanks for all the info. I am planning another trip to Hampi in a fortnight's time - so all the road conditions info is very timely

Sorry to hear about your experience at the Mango Tree - the mosqis have always been an issue there - but the food is usually very decent. Will check it out again when I head there to figure if things have changed !

Look fwd to your travelogue - How was the Hampi experience as a first-timer?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks