Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 16:48   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Rohit, you can even think of a break in between like :-

Mumbai-Pune-Solapur : ~ 430kms

----Break for night

Solapur-Hyderabad : 302 Kms

It is easily doable and if you decide on this plan, i recommend the Hotel Surya International in Solapur for your overnight stay.

It's reasonable ( 1K/Night) and stayed their a few times whenever i drove from Hyderabad-Goa.

Have a safe drive !
Old 28th January 2009, 17:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbp0us View Post
We had to go back and forth on certain stretches before we hit the expressway. Not sure if this is better than Swargate route, but i feel that we saved some time by taking this route.

The route is very scenic and you will get lot of opportunities to take fantastic photographs (esp when the sun is rising and you are on the dead straight road of NH9).
Hi pbp0us,Thanks for the info on this diversion.You just solved my problem on that Pune Bypass! Every time I had to go through the Traffic grind in Pune.But yes,Swargate is good only if you touch it in late afternoon 3pm to 5pm.i did it either at 7pm-9pm or while returning 11am to 1pm .Bad starts for me either ways .Its sometimes very irritating after a 9 hour breezing drive from Hyd. and you are thrown into the grind for almost 1.5 to 2 hrs.
Where do you turn off on that stretch towards Mumbai.You mentioned a couple of back and forths.Can you give a landmark on that turning to the Express way?
Old 5th February 2009, 10:40   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Hi pbp0us,Thanks for the info on this diversion.You just solved my problem on that Pune Bypass! Every time I had to go through the Traffic grind in Pune.But yes,Swargate is good only if you touch it in late afternoon 3pm to 5pm.i did it either at 7pm-9pm or while returning 11am to 1pm .Bad starts for me either ways .Its sometimes very irritating after a 9 hour breezing drive from Hyd. and you are thrown into the grind for almost 1.5 to 2 hrs.
Where do you turn off on that stretch towards Mumbai.You mentioned a couple of back and forths.Can you give a landmark on that turning to the Express way?
Hi, it has been more than 3 months since i did that trip so forgive me if i my info is not 100% correct. I remember that there was a small ghat section and once you come down you have to take a left before a flyover. The sign is very small and just before the flyover (btw, this was a toll flyover). After you take the left turn, you have to travel for quite some time before you see the signs for expressway. I also remember seeing the stadiums for youth games on this route. hope this helps.
Old 19th February 2009, 21:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Might be driving down to HYD next week. After Pune is it very difficult to get onto the Solapur road ?

I am leaving from Pune at about 4 / 5 pm. So plan to drive to Solapur and stay over for the night. Should I ? If yes, any good hotels ?

If I keep driving thru the night - what time do I reach HYD ? Average speeds will be about 100 kmph.

And how are the road conditions ?
Old 19th February 2009, 22:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

You have to enter Pune City to get onto the Solapur road (NH9). The route which I take normally is to turn off Pune Bypass (NH4) at the Hinjewadi flyover junction, and go via Vidyapeeth Road to the old Pune-Bombay road, and then going via Meridien Hotel till you cross the rear side of Pune Railway Station to your right. Turn right under the rail overbridge and go down (via the Railway Station) till you touch the first junction where you turn left and keep going till you reach a prominent T-Junction. Turn left and you are on the Solapur road.

Alternatively, you can also turn right at the Sivaji Nagar Railway bridge and reach the same T-Junction, but I found that road more confusing.

You can drive through the night - if you leave Bombay by 9 pm, you can have early breakfast in Hyderabad, not more than 12 hours, even with breaks.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HVK.

Any of you guys have the phone numbers for Skoda on road service after Pune and upto Hyderabad ? Also any phone numbers of towing services / garages, if anyone has it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:19   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

NC, when you approach Solapur from Pune take the straight road from the bypass ( left goes towards Hyderabad) and when you enter Solapur, you can ask for Hotel Surya International.

It's a decent place to stay for one night, not too fancy though. They charge in vicinity of 1K for a night.

I stayed there a couple of times on way and back from Goa.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:39   #38
BHPian

NC, Another very decent Hotel is Pratham in Solhapur city. It is located opposite Hotel Tripurasundari. From what I've been told, Tripurasundari is upwards of Rs 2500/-. Pratham would have rooms(tax inclusive) in the range of Rs 1400. Food is excellent in Pratham. Service is top quality.
I did Hyd-Pune-Hyd last weekend. There used to be a Hotel/Dhaba called Julglee on the Solhapur bypass, where I used to stop for lunch. It is now a wine/dine Bistro called Ivy. Food is excellent. You can taste different wines(I never drink on the road, but this time they forced me to have a glass of wine after a lot of tasting).
If you are with family and don't mind shelling out Rs 1400 for a night I would definitely suggest Pratham.
The stretch between Pune and Solhapur has heavy traffic. It eases off between Solhapur - Hyd.
Old 26th February 2009, 16:41   #39
BHPian

NC, I did this drive last weekend, Night driving. To give you an ideaabout the travelling durations.

Left on 22nd Feb (Sunday) @ 23:00 hrs from Hyderabad -> Reached Dehu Road (29 kms after Pune) @ 7:00 hrs on 23rd Feb (Monday)

Left Dehu Road @ 8:45 hrs stopped for Breakfast and fuel top up on Expressway and reached C.S.T. Road, Kurla @ 11:00hrs

Return trip went as follows:

Left C.S.T Road, Kurla @ 19:00hrs on 23rd Feb (Monday) reached Hyderabad @ 6:00 hrs on 25th Feb (Tuesday)

We did stop for the usual Tanking up on Fuel/Food for Ourselves and the car many times.

The route that I normally take is after the expressway ends I take a left and reach the Old Bombay Pune Highway. On this you would first be crossing Dehu Road, after which the Roads are really wide with a few subways at major traffic light junctions, ensuring a smooth straight route all the way till Pune Railway Station. After that, look for Ruby Hall Hospital to your left, proceed straight till you see a traffic light with a Petrol pump to your left. At this junction take a right and a right again at the next junction.

This right will take you onto a bridge after which you would be in the Military area. keep looking for boards that read Hadapsar and/or Sholapur. Shortly you would be out of Pune and into the melee at Hadapsar (depending on the time you reach there).

From thereon it's one straight road to Hyderabad. Would help if you could tell us which part of Hyderabad you would be visiting for us to help with directions.

Car used was my Verna CRDI and I had a co-driver/s with me. So we could do the night driving non-stop. I am normally_not_crazy to do this though :-).

Tips: The Sentosa resort which comes up after the expressway ends is a good place to tank up. If there are kids around in the car they would like the temporary tatoos, Handmade greeting cards, the magic shows etc., which happen during the evenings.

Would be pm'ing my number to you, do call if you need anything.

Drive safe, have a pleasant journey and do post regarding the exact itinerary.

Disclaimer: The route through Pune City that I have posted, I find comfortable with, since it's one straight (now wide) road with lesser traffic hiccups unlike it used to be before.

Last edited by suren181 : 26th February 2009 at 16:44.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Suren, 12 hours and 11 hours on the way back from Mumbai is superb timing and moreso since its night driving.

You seem to be really putting on those miles on the Verna

Gautam : Please note, discussing liquor on the forum is prohibited. Hope you have read up on the new set of rules.
Old 26th February 2009, 23:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Mobike / Suren / MLC

Thanks a lot guys. I will be picking up a friend at Hinjewadi around 430-500 pm and then should halt at Solapur for the night. Next day - leave at 8 ish and try and hit Hyderabad for some delicious lunch (read mutton biryani )

Thanks for the pm, Suren. Will let you guys know IF we can meet (marriage rituals and schedules permitting). Have to go to Karimnagar for the wedding too.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:07   #42
KVS
BHPian

Dear All,

If I leave Pune around 4:00 PM by when I can reach Hyderabad?
Additional details:
- Vehicle I would be driving is Safari
- Single Driver
- Will be driving with the Family (wife & Kids)
I do not have an option of staying overnight at Solapur as I have to attend a function next day morning.

Please let me know..

Regards

KVS
Old 27th February 2009, 00:35   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Dear All,

If I leave Pune around 4:00 PM by when I can reach Hyderabad?
Additional details:
- Vehicle I would be driving is Safari
- Single Driver
- Will be driving with the Family (wife & Kids)
I do not have an option of staying overnight at Solapur as I have to attend a function next day morning.

Please let me know..

Regards

KVS
KVS, absolutely wrong time to leave pune. The minimum time to cover pune to hyderabad is 9 hours which means you will land in at 1am in Hyderabad which is a very optimistic timing. Generally with stops and all it may take you around 11 hours.

I recommend you start at 7am and you can easily reach hyderabad at 6pm or latest 7pm depending on traffic. It will be easier, convenient and safe ( since your travelling with family)

Cheers and happy and safe driving
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:17   #44
BHPian

KVS, it all depends. I started from my house in Secunderabad at 8:00 a.m. and was at home in Pune at 4:30. This included a 15 minute break.(Needless to say, I got a mileage of 13kmpl without a.c.)
If you start at 4:00 p.m. you'll be on the Solhapur bypass at 10:00. after that you'll do good speeds, but, like mobike's mentioned earlier, you'll be in Hyd in the wee hours of the morning(1:00 a.m. is very very optimistic)
A friend started from Hyd at 3:30 a.m. and was in Pune at 1:30 p.m.
Old 4th March 2009, 18:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hyd - Mum

Total driving time - 540 minutes - 713 kms - just reached back.

Left Hyd at 0530 and was in Pune at 1330 (30 mins break inbetween). Took a break in Pune at a friends place - chilled out and then Pune - Mum - left at 1600 and reached home at 1730 - 90 minutes.

Will put up details later .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks