Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 21:27   #61
BHPian

Re: Suggestion on Route from Bangalore to Vellore

Last sunday I made my first trip to Vellore with extended family in 2 cars.

As usual after my research of route options to/from Vellore on this forum decided to take Old Madras Road for my onward journey. We started at ease by 6:45AM from Whitefield Blr, took the Whitefield Hoskote road to touch NH75 before the Hoskote Toll Plaza. Traffic was thin on Kolar Hywy, we stopped for breakfast at Mulbagal Dosa Corner. It was great experience. It is a simple eatery with tight seating arrangements but the food is super tasty and service is fast. Proceeded on NH69 i.e., Bangalore Tirupati Hywy thereafter which merges with NH40 i.e., Chittoor Vellore Hywy. Roads around Chittoor bypass were under repair. Otherwise no complaints with NH75, NH69 or NH40 until we turn off to Vellore at Bomma Samudram. Thereafter your drive slows down as initially you have single lane undivided roads until AP border which then splits into decent roads in TN state. There is a narrow stretch around Katpadi Jn Rly Stn with multiple traffic intersections which cost us around 20 ~ 30 min to make it past this bottleneck.

We visited the Jalakanteswarar Temple. It was 42 Deg C already at 11AM. Parking charges are a bit high at Rs 50 but happy that we found shade under trees to park our cars. Walking into the temple without footwear was a like walking on a bed of hot charcoal, with a jute carpet giving lip service, probably 1 deg respite. It was great to have visited the main deity. You have smaller temples inside the main temple premises. There were devotees but there was no rushing or jostling. We had a calm darshan.

Once out, family had a tangy raw mango snack sold by some hawkers. Cool Tip: Try Punjabi Kulfi at the shops selling juice and refreshments. It was mind blowing. We also tried Soda Sherbet with some mint for a change. With blazing hot sun, even normal water tastes better :-) I suppose.

We had plans to spend time in Periyar park but came to know its not within walking distance and also did not anticipate it would be so late on the hour that we decided to skip and have lunch in A/c environs to cool ourselves.

We visited Khanna's Veg Restaurant mainly coz, it is pure veg, Airconditioned, has parking space, is not a long drive from the temple and had good rating on GMaps which I rely a lot. Service was slow but there was some crowd. Food was good, but Aircon did not feel effective enough.

Then drove down to Golden Temple, just a 10 min drive from the Restaurant. Being first timers were guided into Premium Parking which costs Rs 50 per car for 4 hours. There is another parking a short distance away which we saw at the time of exit, not sure if it is free or has a nominal charge. Premium parking is compact but within short walking distance to all amenities like Helpdesk, Cloak Room, Chappal Stand, Water Dispenser, Ticketing counters and entrance. Learnt that the next free entry slot was at 4:30PM while we were there at 3PM. We went for Paid Darshan tickets costing Rs 100 per head (kids under 10 not reqd to buy tkts). There is also a Rs 250 per head ticket which entitles a shorter queue at the entrance as well as at the main temple. Masks were mandatory only at the Queue entrance not enforced thereafter. People not carrying will have to buy at a nominal Rs 10 for a disposable surgical mask (they disallow covering with a handkerchief). Cameras/Mobile Phones are not allowed and strictly checked, we had seen the banners well ahead and so we dumped them in our cars. Shorts/Bermudas not allowed but we were prepared with Dhotis. Water bottles are allowed but they got exhausted too soon. There were drinking water faucets arrangements along the way but warm water was flowing out which was not a pleasant experience. You can buy water bottles though at some places along the walkway. The walk to the main temple premises is long, senior citizens have an option to hire wheelchair (not sure about the charges) and also skip the octagon shaped walk around the main temple if they want to (entry mentioned as for Handicapped only). There was pushing and jostling at the main sanctum sanctorum, kids, women folks and senior citizens are to be taken care by able bodied persons. We were in and out in about a little more than an hour with the crowd slowly building up behind us. The glow on the temple gopura is a sight in the afternoon sunlight. It was glittering gold. There is plenty of greenery all around, clean with spiritual messages in many languages along the way as you walk. Constant chanting of mantra on the PA system also calms the mind. One stretch at the start runs behind a dining area due to which there is a disgusting stench and eyesore. We could walk briskly and overcome it quickly. If there is a waiting queue, this could become overbearing for some. You exit is stretched due to numerous stalls selling some or the items that you HAVE to walk through without escaping. I think we were exhausted due to the heat and the walk and had no patience left to be forced to walk through them. More concerned for senior citizens who are forced to climb and step down the steps at the stall entrance/exit unnecessarily with no ramp option.

We decided to return to Blr via Ambur Krishnagiri Hosur. It was to get a comparative assessment of both Hywys for my future trips towards the South East. The ride was fantastic until Krishnagiri as the roads were 3 laned and the traffic was thin. We took a coffee break at Sai Suprabhaatam. After merging into NH44, the usual lorry menace occupying all lanes and making us snake all around. I think there should be a rule that right most lane be "No lorry lane" for other faster vehicles to have a way to move ahead. We had light rain accompanying us all the way till our home.
Awaz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks