Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 08:55   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I am born and brought up in Chennai and have been to various other cities in India .I found Chennai to have the least(est) number of getaway spots and also the so called few such as Pondy,Mahabs cannot be really called getaway spots, apart from liquor you cannot get anything else in these places. Except for Pasha, Havana and BnB, I don’t find anything else interesting in Chennai. I and my friends often have to go to Karnataka for some adventure activities and this comes at a cost of 600km.Adding to this, the climate in Chennai is making life even more horrible, I just could not use govt transport at all. I sweat profusely whenever I take the bus or just walk by on the road, there is never a bit of chill air in Chennai.

Waiting for a permanent getaway from Chennai!!
What do you expect from a getaway ? Maybe that would help in suggesting a few for you. BTW, I am born and brought up here too and i totally understand your sweating problem, I have the same too but not just in chennai.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:36   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Getaways from Chennai?

Quote:
Had to go to the falls at 1am or 2am at night to get a decent shower, even at that time I could find a lot of people peeping in
Actually thats the time locals like to visit it seems. I had an ex-colleague whose native is Tenkasi (lives in Tirunelveli), he usually visits around 330-4 am.

Quote:
Koutralam is basically a nice place spoiled by some maddening and boisterous crowd
Basically waterfalls that allow bathing get messed up eventually !!
~~~~~
BTW has anyone visited Mypadu beach near Nellore ?
Old 8th May 2011, 08:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikkrishnan View Post
Pichavaram boat house is run by the TTDC and also has a rest house/rooms in the middle of the mangrove forest

You can reach it only by boat. Food and water is also ferried
I dont think the rest house is operational anymore. Atleast it was not when i went there in end of 2009. The building looked in bad shape and the ttdc guys in Pichavaram didnt seem to give any indication of any upcoming repair.
Old 8th May 2011, 11:43   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
I dont think the rest house is operational anymore. Atleast it was not when i went there in end of 2009. The building looked in bad shape and the ttdc guys in Pichavaram didnt seem to give any indication of any upcoming repair.
Yes. You are right. It is not operational anymore. I heard from one of the guy who works for TTDC that Forest Department doesn't want this to be run and there's often clash between TTDC and the Forest Dept.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 8th May 2011 at 11:46.
Old 30th May 2013, 23:05   #80
BHPian

Nagercoil to Koutralam via Panagudi

Hi,

I am planning for a trip from Nagercoil to Koutralam, although there is a route via Tirunelveli, I would like to try the route via Panagudi, can some one who has travelled on this road provide a feedback on this particular road condition.
Old 31st May 2013, 07:28   #81
sun
BHPian

Road is a one laner, but good quality. Last week I went via this road to KMTR fro Trivandrum. Definitely short by some 20 odd kms.

Last edited by sun : 31st May 2013 at 07:29.
Old 31st May 2013, 11:06   #82
BHPian

Re: Nagercoil to Koutralam via Panagudi

I think that road is via ambasamudram ,scenic and less traffic there.Monsoons started early so courtallam must have water.
Old 16th June 2013, 16:23   #83
BHPian

Visited Chennai's "Chokhi Dhani" today.

Found the experience pretty underwhelming.

The food was nothing to write home about in spite of the somewhat steep charges.

Came back a dissatisfied man.
Old 26th November 2014, 15:09   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Visted Pulicat late last Sunday from Chennai.
Drive from Chennai till the lake was bit tiring due to road widening work towards Chennai. However once you cross over to Andhra road conditions are good. There is a HP COCO bunk and Cafe Coffee day along with that next to AP RTO checkpost, this can be used as a food/ bio break since there are no much hotel options en-route.

We took the Sriharikota road and went till SHAR gates. Understandably, since it is just start of season only two species of birds were spotted.

Did not visit other locations like Dutch cemetery and lighthouse since was traveling with family and there were mixed reports of the place regarding cleanliness.

Total KM's from Vadapalani - Pulicat was around 110 by taking Chennai Byepass.

Will upload few pics later which may help future travelers.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 26th November 2014 at 15:15.
Old 9th January 2021, 20:19   #85
BHPian

Bump

Has anyone been to Pulicat lake recently? New Venue will be delivered to FIL this week, planning for a day trip the coming Saturday.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.
Old 9th January 2021, 22:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathPig View Post
Pulicat lake.
Haven't been personally. Here's a first hand account from someone who went last week Visited Pulicat lake over the weekend. No flamingoes in sight tho saw a lot of painted storks and some open billed storks. In case anybody is planning to visit for flamingoes I suggest wait until Republic Day or later.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks