Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 00:01   #8146
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Thanks guys. How about Palakkad to Hosur route? I see some alternate routes mentioned here. How is the condition of NH-47? How long is the road work in progress?
Based on current conditions I would avoid avinashi-Coimbatore bypass-walayar-palakkad.
Instead I would take hosur-salem-turn off to NH 47-Perundurai-avinashi-turn off to mangalam-palladam-pollachi-palakkad. This will merge close to chandranagar junction in palakkad. It is much better than the straight route. I took the same last week
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 10:51   #8147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My brother is driving down from Palakkad to Hyderabad. ...
I see a connection from Hosur to Devanahalli (NH 207) which seems to be bypassing Bangalore city. How good is the road condition and is it advisable to take this route?
I can vouch for the Hosur-Malur-Hoskote-Devanahalli route. There was a short rough patch just as you divert off the NH-7 at Hosur. Somewhere after Malur, there were some speed breakers and the road gets patchy on a couple of stretches, but nothing worrisome.
Quote:
Thanks guys. How about Palakkad to Hosur route? I see some alternate routes mentioned here. How is the condition of NH-47? How long is the road work in progress?
Depending on where the origin is, you can choose among the Walayar route or the Chittur/Meenakshipuram-Pollachi-Mangalam-Avinashi. If the start point is somewhere in the town or towards Olavakkode, then it makes sense to stick to the Walayar route.

Agree that the road is rough between Walayar and Madukkarai, but you'll end up taking a way longer loop without any savings in time. You will hit the NH-47 at Chandranagar or Manappullikkavu or further south. The road is good inside the town, but the Manappullikkavu junction is a mess. Next, you'll have to negotiate the ultra rough patch at Chandranagar, and a traffic mess that goes on till Kootupatha to turn right into Pollachi SH. Then, an extra 30+km to reach Avinashi via Pollachi, translates to 30-40min extra.

The other option, via Pollachi-Palladam-Mangalam works fine if you can stay on the well-laid SHs or main roads leading to Pollachi and not hit the NH at all
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 11:25   #8148
BHPian

Planning a drive this weekend from calicut - Mangalore - uduppi - kollur. Please suggest the best route available. Last time in July, I took the bypass after kanhangad because of the work going on in the old road. How is the condition of this route now?
Old 6th January 2015, 13:56   #8149
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Based on current conditions I would avoid avinashi-Coimbatore bypass-walayar-palakkad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Depending on where the origin is, you can choose among the Walayar route or the Chittur/Meenakshipuram-Pollachi-Mangalam-Avinashi. If the start point is somewhere in the town or towards Olavakkode, then it makes sense to stick to the Walayar route.
I would go with silversteed given the current condition.

Though not all the four lanes are opened between Pollachi Kootupatha and Walayar you won't loose any time since all vehicles in this stretch are moving at a acceptable speed. Should be careful while overtaking since there aren't proper directions for diversions vehicles choose the lanes as they wish.
The stretch between Walayar and L&T bypass entry (approximately 11 Kms) is bad to worse but then patch works on road will save even sedans. After L&T bye pass it is a bliss barring few initial speed brakes on the bridges.
Hence in my opinion it wont make sense to take diversion through Pollachi unless you start somewhere before Alathur, nor it will save you any considerable time.

Cheers!
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 18:57   #8150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Planning a drive this weekend from calicut - Mangalore - uduppi - kollur. Please suggest the best route available. Last time in July, I took the bypass after kanhangad because of the work going on in the old road. How is the condition of this route now?
The SH between Kanhangad and Kasaragod(route through Chandragiri bridge) is still under construction. So, please take the bypass and continue on NH17 to proceed to Kasaragod.

Route conditions that I am aware of:

Kannur - Kanhangad: Good.
Kanhangad - Kasaragod: Some bad spots will appear especially in the first half. But, mostly good.
Kasaragod - Mangalore: Fairly good. Couple of patched stretches so you might find it slightly bumpy. However, you can manage good speeds if traffic condition is favourable.
Thunderbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 15:43   #8151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Traveling to Varkala this coming weekend with my wife and two friends in my Ritz ZXi. Google suggests that I should take Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Rajapalyam-Tenkasi-Varkala. Here are my questions:

1. Is there an alternate route that you guys might want to suggest?
2. What should be the best time to start from Bangalore? (Hotel check-in time is at 2pm in Varkala)
3. What are the road and traffic conditions in Tamil Nadu and Kerala?
4. Also, what are the best stops for highway food that shouldn't be missed? (I've already got a suggestion of a place to stop by after Dindigul for the best Egg Dosas)
Anyone with any suggestions for this unattended query?
Old 7th January 2015, 15:49   #8152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone with any suggestions for this unattended query?

Google suggests that I should take Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Rajapalyam-Tenkasi-Varkala. Here are my questions:

1. Is there an alternate route that you guys might want to suggest?
2. What should be the best time to start from Bangalore? (Hotel check-in time is at 2pm in Varkala)
4. Also, what are the best stops for highway food that shouldn't be missed? (I've already got a suggestion of a place to stop by after Dindigul for the best Egg Dosas)
I think this is the best route to take. Bangalore - Madurai is excellent 4/6 lane all the way. Madurai - Varkala will be two lane roads. Not sure about the recent conditions but should be OK. traffic will be heavy.

Best time to start will be 4:30 AM - 5:00 AM.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 19:46   #8153
BHPian

Quote:
Traveling to Varkala this coming weekend with my wife and two friends in my Ritz ZXi. Google suggests that I should take Bangalore-Salem-Madurai-Rajapalyam-Tenkasi-Varkala. Here are my questions:

1. Is there an alternate route that you guys can suggest?
2. What should be the best time to start from Bangalore?
I have taken this route December last week. My destination was Pandalam, I took Tenkasi-Thenmala-Punalur-Adoor-Pandalam. You will be taking Tenkasi-Thenmala-Varkala.
I was not very sure about road condition of Thirumangalam - Rajapalayam - Tenkasi route. Instead I took Thirumangalam - kovilpatti - Sankarankovil - Puliyangudi-Tenkasi
https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/9....d9.1725368!3e0
Though this route is 25-30km more, you can cover more distance in 4-lane NH7 itself and this route will be faster. Overall road conditions are good, very few bad sections in between kovilpatti - Thenmala, but easily manageable. From NH7 look directions for Sankarankovil.
Travel time will be around 10-12 hours, start from Bangalore as early as possible, ideally by 4AM.
kavu75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 12:08   #8154
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
The SH between Kanhangad and Kasaragod(route through Chandragiri bridge) is still under construction. So, please take the bypass and continue on NH17 to proceed to Kasaragod.

Route conditions that I am aware of:

Kannur - Kanhangad: Good.
Kanhangad - Kasaragod: Some bad spots will appear especially in the first half. But, mostly good.
Kasaragod - Mangalore: Fairly good. Couple of patched stretches so you might find it slightly bumpy. However, you can manage good speeds if traffic condition is favourable.
Kannur - Kanhangad: Good (Please note there is a railway gate just before Nileswar)
Kanhangad - Kasaragod: Do not go to Kanhangad town. Take the NH and it is mostly good. But there are potholes at some places.
Kasaragod - Thalappady - Good but there are road work and deviations when your nearing to Thalappady.
Thalappady - Kundapura : Lots of road work happening and many deviations. Be careful about the heavy traffic and Buses.
Kundapura - Kollur : Road is in very good condition. Perhaps the best stretch after Kanhangad..!!!

Please be ready to face lots of traffic if travelling in day time other than Friday or Sunday.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:17   #8155

Just traveled from Bangalore to Tiruvalla over the X'Mas break (Dec-2014) took BLR-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirapally-Tiruvalla. The return journey took less time than onward journey. I guess that was because we traveled on 24th Dec. 10 Hours average without counting the breaks, started at 5:30am and reached Tiruvalla by 5:00pm. Roads are very good, the bad stretches are between Theni to Kumily.
Bangalore-Dindigul -> 5 hours
Dindigul-Kumily -> 2.5 hours
Kumily-Tiruvalla -> 2.5 hours
breaks -> 1.5 hours

I would say if you are travelling to Kottayam-Tiruvalla side , this route is way better than Coimbatore-Palakkad-Angamaly route. I saved 1.5~2 hours.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:35   #8156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Kannur - Kanhangad: Good (Please note there is a railway gate just before Nileswar)
Kanhangad - Kasaragod: Do not go to Kanhangad town. Take the NH and it is mostly good. But there are potholes at some places.
Kasaragod - Thalappady - Good but there are road work and deviations when your nearing to Thalappady.
Thalappady - Kundapura : Lots of road work happening and many deviations. Be careful about the heavy traffic and Buses.
Kundapura - Kollur : Road is in very good condition. Perhaps the best stretch after Kanhangad..!!!

Please be ready to face lots of traffic if travelling in day time other than Friday or Sunday.
Thanks Rajesh. We are starting tomorrow at around 3:30am from Calicut so that traffic can be avoided. I have to reach Mangalore by 9. I'll be staying in Mangalore for two days and on Monday we will be leaving for kundapura. How is the drive from kundapura - kollur at night? Is it safe to travel with family in this route because few of my relatives have suggested to avoid night drives in this route! One more query, Can you please suggest a good stay in Mangalore city?

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2015 at 16:45. Reason: Language
nidhinsarath is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th January 2015, 10:47   #8157
BHPian

Sorry Dear, I may not be the right person to guide you on this. The road from Kundapur to Kollur will be deserted at night, but its in very good condition.

About stay at Mangalore, I have never stayed in Mangalore as my native is just 100km from there in Kerala. Every time, I used to come back. I remember one Hotel Yuvraj in KSR Rao road where I used to have food earlier (10years back ). But this is in heart of the town.

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2015 at 16:45. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 9th January 2015, 11:45   #8158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Sorry Dear, I may not be the right person to guide you on this. The road from Kundapur to Kollur will be deserted at night, but its in very good condition.

About stay at Mangalore, I have never stayed in Mangalore as my native is just 100km from there in Kerala. Every time, I used to come back. I remember one Hotel Yuvraj in KSR Rao road where I used to have food earlier (10years back ). But this is in heart of the town.

Thanks
Rajesh
Thanks Rajesh. BTW I'm in Mangalore now. We started at 4am and reached Mangalore by 9:15 AM which included a break for 30 mts in a CCD after kasargod. The roads were good except some stretches like kanhangad and kasargod bypass, a few kilometers upto thokkottu after that CCD.
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 08:48   #8159
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajesh. BTW I'm in Mangalore now. We started at 4am and reached Mangalore by 9:15 AM which included a break for 30 mts in a CCD after kasargod. The roads were good except some stretches like kanhangad and kasargod bypass, a few kilometers upto thokkottu after that CCD.
Guys,
I am planning a Kochi - Kollur drive during 23rd-25th of Jan. My plan is to start on 23rd early morning (around 4AM) from Kochi and drive all the way to Kollur. Is it possible to reach Kollur by 6 PM or so with an early start from Kochi or shall I break the journey somewhere in between?
Old 11th January 2015, 08:54   #8160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
Guys,
I am planning a Kochi - Kollur drive during 23rd-25th of Jan. My plan is to start on 23rd early morning (around 4AM) from Kochi and drive all the way to Kollur. Is it possible to reach Kollur by 6 PM or so with an early start from Kochi or shall I break the journey somewhere in between?
I would say instead of Kollur target Udupi. Kollur is 80km from Udupi. In fact even Udupi drive should be quite tiresome.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks