Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 14:26   #9016
BHPian

Re: All Roads to Kerala

All, Any idea which is the best route from Chikkamagaluru, Karnataka, India to
Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India. One of our relative will be travelling from Chikkamagaluru to Perinthalmanna and I will need to suggest to him the best route for that travel.

Google suggests the below option -

Hassan - Mysore - Bandipur National Park route
Old 28th October 2015, 14:48   #9017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India. One of our relative will be travelling from Chikkamagaluru to Perinthalmanna and I will need to suggest to him the best route for that travel.

Two Options:

Chikkamagulur-Hassan-Holenarasipur - Mysore - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna

Chikkamagulur-Hassan-Holenarasipur - Kushalnagar - Mananthvady - Kalpette - Perinthalmanna (Check with others a road conditions). I may be wrong with exact sequence. But what I meant was: there is a way to hit Waynad from Holenarasipur via Coorg.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:53   #9018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

Google suggested route will be the best option. Chikmaglur-Hassan-Channanarayapatna-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna.

There is some roadwork happening between Mysore and Gundlepet. And there is a stretch of ~15KM on the TN side of the Bandipur/Mudumalai Sanctuary (Theppakadu-Gudalur) where the road is very bad. Apart from this, excellent roads throughout.

The Bandipur forest road is closed between 9PM and 6am.

Edit: As per Ampere's post above, the Holenarsipur route to reach Mysore seems to be the better option. Would still recommend the Mysore-Gundlepet route over the Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Manjeri route.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 28th October 2015 at 14:59.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 21:31   #9019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Two Options:

Chikkamagulur-Hassan-Holenarasipur - Mysore - Bandipur - Gudalur - Nilambur - Perinthalmanna

Chikkamagulur-Hassan-Holenarasipur - Kushalnagar - Mananthvady - Kalpette - Perinthalmanna (Check with others a road conditions). I may be wrong with exact sequence. But what I meant was: there is a way to hit Waynad from Holenarasipur via Coorg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Google suggested route will be the best option. Chikmaglur-Hassan-Channanarayapatna-Srirangapatna-Mysore-Gundlepet-Gudalur-Nilambur-Perinthalmanna.

Edit: As per Ampere's post above, the Holenarsipur route to reach Mysore seems to be the better option. Would still recommend the Mysore-Gundlepet route over the Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Manjeri route.
Hassan-Holenarsipura-KR Nagar-Hunsur was in good condition a few months ago when I went through. From Hunsur, proceed to Mananthavady-Kalpetta (via Gonikoppal- Kutta tholpetty or Nagarhole-Kutta tholpetty) or Mysore-Gudalur -Nilambur.
The default route for Hassan-Mysore would be Via Holenarsipur-KR nagar-Bilikere (Hunsur-Mysore road) I guess.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 28th October 2015 at 21:33.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 06:44   #9020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavu75 View Post
No idea about EKM - Kayamkulam stretch.
Kayamkulam - Adoor is in good shape.
[/url]
Ekm- Kayamkulam stretch is in good condition.
Kayamkulam- Adoor, though condition is good, there are so many speed breakers in the short section. An alternative would be to turn off at Nangiarkulangara(before Kayamkulam) to Mavelikkara-Pandalam-Adoor. Road condition is good and less number of speed breakers. Distance is almost same.
tomchacks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 07:33   #9021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would still recommend the Mysore-Gundlepet route over the Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Manjeri route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Hassan-Holenarsipura-KR Nagar-Hunsur was in good condition a few months ago when I went through. From Hunsur, proceed to Mananthavady-Kalpetta (via Gonikoppal- Kutta tholpetty or Nagarhole-Kutta tholpetty) or Mysore-Gudalur -Nilambur.
So which is a better option between the two? I cant say for sure. Bandipur has bad roads and so will be the situation (somewhat similar I guess) crossing south Coorg? But yes, once in Waynd, there would be lot of winding roads for sure.
Old 29th October 2015, 08:32   #9022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
So which is a better option between the two? I cant say for sure. Bandipur has bad roads and so will be the situation (somewhat similar I guess) crossing south Coorg? But yes, once in Waynd, there would be lot of winding roads for sure.
Personally would prefer the gudalur Nilambur route. Reason is that the Kalpetta-Thamarassery section is relatively heavy on traffic, Thamarassery - Manjeri is a narrow road which makes progress slow and of course winding roads right from manathavady.

On the gudalur route, you really don't hit any heavy traffic till you are close to Nilambur. And the winding/ ghat road is restricted to the nadugani section.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:20   #9023
BHPian

Planning to drive to Kerala this week-end and take below the route:

Hosur-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Dindigul-> Batlagundu-> Theni-> Cumbum-> Kumily-> Erumeli-> Ranni

Want to know the road condition of above the route. Has anyone passed through this stretch recently?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 31st October 2015, 14:06   #9024
BHPian

Hi friends, visiting Varkala with family during Diwali holidays next week. Staying at Varkala beach for 3 days. Any worthwhile places to visit near Varkala during daytime(beach side shacks with good sea views and some seafood should take care of my evenings, hopefully). Also, can anyone suggest some good eating joints along the Varkala cliff side providing nice fish?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st October 2015 at 18:38. Reason: Post edited. Please refrain from discussing about liquor on the forum. They are against the rules!
Old 1st November 2015, 00:46   #9025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatt1800 View Post
Hi friends, visiting Varkala with family during Diwali holidays next week. Staying at Varkala beach for 3 days. Any worthwhile places to visit near Varkala during daytime(beach side shacks with good sea views and some seafood should take care of my evenings, hopefully). Also, can anyone suggest some good eating joints along the Varkala cliff side providing nice fish?
Kappil is a nearby place where you have backwaters one side and see on the other side. There is one tunnel constructed by British engineers, which is a marvelous piece of engineering.(which is almost defunct now), near Sivagiri. This was used to connect backwaters for transportation.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 18:26   #9026
BHPian

I am driving to Parambikkulam from Ernakulam next week and is planning to take the Thrissur-Vadakkenchery-Nemmara route for the onward journey. The route shown by the google map has a diversion after Kollengode (it says Muthalamada-Chemmanampathy road) which connects to Parambikkulam road at a place called Vettaikaranpudur. Is this the correct route? Anyone have any clue on road conditions after Nemmara? I need to reach Parambukkulam reserve by around 12PM and is planning a 6 30 AM. For the return journey, I am planning Valaparai route.
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:27   #9027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
I am driving to Parambikkulam from Ernakulam next week and is planning to take the Thrissur-Vadakkenchery-Nemmara route for the onward journey. The route shown by the google map has a diversion after Kollengode (it says Muthalamada-Chemmanampathy road) which connects to Parambikkulam road at a place called Vettaikaranpudur. Is this the correct route? Anyone have any clue on road conditions after Nemmara? I need to reach Parambukkulam reserve by around 12PM and is planning a 6 30 AM. For the return journey, I am planning Valaparai route.
The diversion via Chemmanampathy is fine, albeit a bit isolated. Road, though narrow, is good on the Kerala side and brilliant after the TN border. Another advantage is that you can avoid two railway level crossings if taking this road

Roads after Nemmara are also good
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 13:44   #9028

Hi Guys...
After a gap of three years... I am again touching the Pune to Kochi roads... I am thinking of Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Davanagare - Bangalore - Mysore - Thrissur - Kochi

Once, I took a deviation from Hiriyur to reach straight to Mysore, which spells a saving of 100 kms.
Anyone with any suggestions to make my tour more memorable, please post.
BTW, I am driving with my wife, two boys - at 10 and 8 years
Old 2nd November 2015, 22:06   #9029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrroooomer View Post
Hi Guys...
After a gap of three years... I am again touching the Pune to Kochi roads... I am thinking of Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Davanagare - Bangalore - Mysore - Thrissur - Kochi

Once, I took a deviation from Hiriyur to reach straight to Mysore, which spells a saving of 100 kms.
Anyone with any suggestions to make my tour more memorable, please post.
BTW, I am driving with my wife, two boys - at 10 and 8 years
Bangalore-Mys-Gundlupet-Kochi is going to take you ages to reach Kochi.My reccomendation would be to go via Salem-CBE.4laning upto Vadakencheri is complete.The only incomplete section is between Vaadakencheri and Mannuthy-a distance of approximately 30kms or so.

If you must go via Nilambur,then Hiriyur option is better any day and stay the night at Mysore.If you start early from Pune around 4-5am you should easily make it to Mysore by 6pm.No point going to BLR and then coming to Mysore the next day,unless there is a need for you to be in BLR.
Old 5th November 2015, 19:39   #9030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil_k_u View Post
Planning to drive to Kerala this week-end and take below the route:

Hosur-> Krishnagiri-> Salem-> Dindigul-> Batlagundu-> Theni-> Cumbum-> Kumily-> Erumeli-> Ranni

Want to know the road condition of above the route. Has anyone passed through this stretch recently?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Did this route last week, overall good roads except for:
- Batlagundu, Theni, Cumbum towns - bad + narrow roads, culvert widening; thankfully can be covered in 10-15 minutes each
- climb to Kumily after Gudalur on the TN border - road is narrow and broken, on some culverts only one bus can pass at a time, make sure to honk and wait for oncoming TN bus traffic; plus watch out for tourists @ penstock pipe view points
- Between Kumily - Peerumade - road widening; single lane at one place

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks