Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 14:05   #556
BHPian

Weekend trip to Palakkad and Back

While going, started at 2pm on Feb 20 from Silk Board. Till Thoppur, toll roads are great. Went via Mettur -> Ammapettai -> Anthiyur -> Athani -> Sathy -> Annur -> Ganapathy -> Coimbatore. Most of these roads are great. Got into Coimbatore at 7:20pm, but got out to NH 47 only at 8:10pm, reaching Palakkad at 8:45pm.

Coming back, started at 9am from Palakkad on Feb 22nd. Came via L&T Byepass. Took left turn at Perumanallur (just after Avinashi when you can see a junction) towards Gobi at 10:50am. Perumanallur -> Kunnathur (take left) -> Gobi (right at T, then left below the big board that has directions to everywhere else [there is a small board below towards left, but you might miss it]) -> Athani (right at T; left at fork much later) -> Anthiyur -> Ammapettai -> Mettur -> Thoppur A2B at 1:10pm. Lunch break till 2pm and then great ride till Silk Board at 3:50pm.

For people going into Coimbatore, Sathy route may be OK depending upon where into CBE you want to go. For others, I think Gobi route is much better. For 90% of the distance, surface is excellent. Hardly any traffic. Gobi -> Athani is a little less smoother and narrower and has one extra sharp S curve that is easy to miss. Other than that you can easily maintain 80kmph without getting behind trucks and maniacs plying NH 47 between Avinashi and Bhavani.
Old 24th February 2009, 17:17   #557
Senior - BHPian

just back after the trip from kerala.
The road after krishnagiri to dharmapuri is BEAUTIFUL!!! i touched 190 on them there is a particular stretch which i feel is dead straight you need to jus keep ur foot on the accelerator and take of hands from the steering.
I suggest the mettur route and avoid salem for a while till the construction completes.
im very happy to see good roads on the highways in kerala.
the 4 lane construction has started there.
But you have to be very careful in tamil nadu with people on their bloody TVS 50s coming in the opposite side of the roads(sometimes head on) i have never been so alert in my life(not even during my board exams ) please take care will driving on these roads.
I think people here lack the most road discipline in India.Not to mention the speeding buses who almost get you to think i think my time is up!!.
and the toll has started there also.. with a cost of 48 bucks!!!! and + an upcoming toll booth +the krishnagiri toll booth and the Coimbatore by pass toll,if driving to kerala i have to at least arrange almost 200 bucks for just driving through the road

Last edited by vinaydas : 24th February 2009 at 17:22.
Old 24th February 2009, 17:54   #558
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i touched 190 on them there is a particular stretch

Not to mention the speeding buses who almost get you to think i think my time is up!!.
Interesting you mention both in the same message.
Old 24th February 2009, 20:15   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
i touched 190 on them there is a particular stretch
Nerves I say. I was at 130 and had a tractor trailer guy who just stared at me from the opposite section, blinked and then promptly crossed the road, jumped the divider and turned into my lane. I pulled my heart out of my mouth and then stuck to less than 100kmph.

By the looks on these guys and TVS 50 fellows, I am convinced that they think we are on the wrong side of the road! May be they think it is not a divided highway, but two parallel roads.
Old 24th February 2009, 22:02   #560
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any updates on the Trivandrum -> Madurai route? I know there is four laning going on. Are the diversions okay enough for a fully loaded Civic to manage?

How about the TVM -> Thirunelveli -> Tuticorin -> Ramanathapuram (onward to Rameswaram) stretch?

Our destination is near Rameswaram. The Tuticorin route will save a lot of distance, but it has horrific roads from Tuticorin to Ramathapuram. There have been repair work going on, but it is incomplete as far as I know.
Old 10th March 2009, 13:58   #561
Senior - BHPian

Latest updata on the Makutta road.

Tender has been given to one person and hopefully by 9 months the 16.5 kms of road will get constructed. There is a supreme court case too which is running so they better make this road good.
Source:http://www.deccanherald.com/Content/...0309123115.asp
Old 13th March 2009, 14:40   #562
BHPian

Would like to get the directions from BLR to Guruvayoor through the Gudallur route. Though there are many posts which give overall driving directions, I could not find any detailed (turn-by-turn or at least major landmarks wise) driving directions. I am familiar till Gundelpet, so let me give the directions till Gundelpet (starting from Silk board Junction). I hope one of the members can fill to complete this till Gvr.

- From Silkboard Junction, trun right if you are coming from Madivala side, straight if you are coming from Sarjapur/outer-ring road side.
- Drive till the next flyover, turn left (flyover is for the straight traffic).
- After ~300-400mts, you will see Shopper’s Stop mall on your left. Immediately after that turn right (you will see people waiting to take this right turn).
- Drive till you hit a T-Junction. Take left.
- Drive straight. Go straight in the next junction. Now you are on the Kanakpura road. After few kilometers, you will see the BMIC highway crossing the Kanakapura road. Turn right and take the BMIC road.
- After few Kms, you will see the diversion to join the BLR-Mysore state higway. Take that and hit the Blr-Mysore state highway. Turn left.
- Next ~125Km, drive straight till the end of the four-line. There are many good drive-in restaurants on the way. Just follow the sign boards for them. Four-line road ends at the traffic signal. Go straight (enter Mysore city).
- Go till the traffic island where they have put the tall steel frames/barricade as the divider. Take this road by taking the left of the fork (this junction is sort of a Y shaped junction).
- Go till a big circle (may be a Km down). Turn right.
- Few hundred meters down, you will hit another junction (sort of another Y). Turn left there and go straight. - Can someone correct this step? I am not sure whether I am right here..
- You will see the Mysore bus stand on your right. Go straight from the next junction (just follow the Nanjangod sign board).
- After 1-2Kms, you will see the road forking out. The left leaf will be seen going up & curve left. Take that left road. Go straight. This road eventually turn to the Mysore-Nanjangod highway.
- Just before leaving Mysore behind, you can see a kamat restaurant on your left. It a decent place to have food with good parking space and toilet facilities.
- After this, keep going straight. You will cross Nanjangod & then Gundelpet. No diversion etc, keep drive straight.
- There are good drive in restaurants as you reach Gundelpet.
- Right after the busy area of Gundelpet, you will see a road turning right. That is NH212 to Kozikode. Don’t turn right. Go straight to take the Gudallur route..
…. Some body, pl cover this up till Gvr..
Old 14th March 2009, 14:54   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Would like to get the directions from BLR to Guruvayoor through the Gudallur route.

That is NH212 to Kozikode. Don’t turn right. Go straight to take the Gudallur route..
…. Some body, pl cover this up till Gvr..
I'm planning to drive down to BLR this way in April end. The route I have is:

Bangalore-Mysore: 140Km
Mysore-Bandipur: 75Km
Bandipur-Gudalur: 30Km?? (Not sure about this)
Gudalur-Naadukani: 10Km (Somewhere here, you will have to take left for Nilambur - straight to Vayanad)
Naadukani-Nilambur: 35Km (vazhikadavu route)
Nilambur-Wandur: 9Km
Wandur-Pandikkad: 11Km
Pandikkad-Melanur: 6Km
Melanur-PerinthalManna: 8Km
PerinthalManna-Pattambi: 56Km(Not very sure)
Pattambi-Kunnamkulam: 28Km
Kunnamkulam-Guruvayoor: 7Km

Not sure about the directions like left/right turns, deviations etc. But, hope you can manage the same.

There are other routes from Nilambur. The Kuttippuram route is good, but lots of mad traffic.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:32   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post
Would like to get the directions from BLR to Guruvayoor through the Gudallur route. Though there are many posts which give overall driving directions, I could not find any detailed (turn-by-turn or at least major landmarks wise) driving directions. I am familiar till Gundelpet, so let me give the directions till Gundelpet (starting from Silk board Junction). I hope one of the members can fill to complete this till Gvr.
My directions till Pattambi are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kkad-back.html
Old 16th March 2009, 12:40   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post

Gudalur-Naadukani: 10Km (Somewhere here, you will have to take left for Nilambur - straight to Vayanad)

Not sure about the directions like left/right turns, deviations etc. But, hope you can manage the same.

There are other routes from Nilambur. The Kuttippuram route is good, but lots of mad traffic.
perinthalmanna - pattambi is 20 kms not 56
Old 16th March 2009, 13:24   #566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post

I am not sure about this place, Melanur. I never heard of this place in my umpteen travels from Pandikkad to Pernitalmanna. Pandikkad-PMNA is around 14 KMs with out any major junctions or towns.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:14   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Pandikkad-PMNA is around 14 KMs with out any major junctions or towns.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
perinthalmanna - pattambi is 20 kms not 56
Thanks.

I will update my distance chart with these information. Hope all other distances/places are correct. I have compiled this route information from BHP posts and other searches in the net.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:43   #568
BHPian

Any update on the stretch between Chalakkudi and thrissur? When I travelled last time (feb 2009) some raod work was going on here.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:54   #569
BHPian

Driving Directions from Bangalore to Ernakulam via Mysore/Gudallur/Gvr/Vyppin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsbabu View Post
My directions till Pattambi are here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kkad-back.html
Thanks vsbabu for your inputs.. I have incorpoarted vsbabu's route info and also added driving directions till Ernakulam. Hope this will help people. Request people out there to value add/refine.

Driving Directions from Bangalore to Ernakulam via Mysore, Gudallur, Guruvayoor, Kodungallore, Muanambam.

- From Silkboard Junction, trun right if you are coming from Madivala side, straight if you are coming from Sarjapur/outer-ring road side.

- Drive till the next flyover, turn left (flyover is for the straight traffic).

- After ~300-400mts, you will see Shopper’s Stop mall on your left. Immediately after that turn right (you will see people waiting to take this right turn).

- Drive till you hit a T-Junction. Take left.

- Drive straight. Go straight in the next junction. Now you are on the Kanakpura road. After few kilometers, you will see the BMIC highway crossing the Kanakapura road. Turn right and take the BMIC road.

- After few Kms, you will see the diversion to join the BLR-Mysore state higway. Take that and hit the Blr-Mysore state highway. Turn left.

- Next ~125Km, drive straight till the end of the four-line. There are many good drive-in restaurants on the way. Just follow the sign boards for them. Four-line road ends at the traffic signal. Go straight (enter Mysore city).

- Go till the traffic island where they have put the tall steel frames/barricade as the divider. Take this road by taking the left of the fork (this junction is sort of a Y shaped junction).

- Go till a big circle (may be a Km down). Turn right.

- Few hundred meters down, you will hit another junction (sort of another Y). Turn left there and go straight. (Someone, please validate this step)

- You will see the Mysore bus stand on your right. Go straight from the next junction (just follow the Nanjangod sign board).

- After 1-2Kms, you will see the road forking out. The left leaf will be seen going up & curve left. Take that left road. Go straight. This road eventually turn to the Mysore-Nanjangod highway.

- Just before leaving Mysore behind, you can see a kamat restaurant on your left. It a decent place to have food with good parking space and toilet facilities.

- After this, keep going straight. You will cross Nanjangod & then Gundelpet. No diversion etc, keep drive straight.

- There are good drive in restaurants as you reach Gundelpet.

- Right after the busy area of Gundelpet, you will see a road turning right. That is NH212 to Kozikode. Don’t turn right. Go straight to take the Gudallur route..

- ~20km after, you will reach Bandipur. Toll gate ahead..

- Once you reach Theppakkadu, turn right to Gudalur.

- At the signal junction in Gudalur town, take the right to Nilambur

- From Nilambur, just go straight and take the left fork at the signboard
that says Manjeri or Thrissur. Left one takes you to Thrissur.

- Just keep going straight via Wandoor, Pandikkad and you will reach Perinthalmanna (~130KM from Bandipur).

- Cross the junction to follow signboards that say either Perumbilavu, Pattambi or Thrissur. Take the Perumbilavu road (turn right).

- Go straight at Perumbilavu Junction (this is like a Y junction). Next you will reach Kunnamkulam. Drive straight and pass the town. You are now on the way to Guruvayoor.

- Keep driving straight. After ~7Km from Gvr, you will cross a bridge (toll to be paid). Keep going in this road (NH 17).

- ~50Kms later, you will reach Kodungallore. The road will hit straight at the Kodungallore temple (sort of a T junction). Take left there, and right from the next Junction (next to a petrol bunk). Take left from the next Junction to join back in NH-17. (basically from the Template front gate – first T junction, take left, then first right and then again first left).

- ~5Km later, you will cross 2 bridges (toll to be paid, but since you paid it in the first bridge after Gvr, just show the receipt and drive on).

- After the second bridge, turn Right from the next Junction (Moothakunnam) (this a single-line narrow road). ~3Kms later, you will again cross another bridge (this is the Munambam area). Turn left after this bridge. You are now on the Munambam-Vyppin road.

- Keep going straight for next ~25Kms. You will now see the approach road to the Goshree bridge. Basically turn left from this junction for the bridge. Cross them and you are right in the middle of Eranakulam city.
Old 31st March 2009, 14:36   #570
BHPian

Am planning to drive down to Cochin this friday. My plan is to start around 7 PM from Bangy. Does anyone has any updates on the road condition between Bhavani and CBE bye pass ? Or is it advisable to take the Sathy route(mettur-ammapettai-athani-sathy)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks