Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 03:28   #421
Senior - BHPian

sandeep3in: It is Angamaly where the Junction comes - where Left turn is M.C road .
changanaserry from angamaly via MC road : Angamaly-Perumbavoor(14kms)-Muvattupuzha(20kms)-Kottayam(58kms)-Changanaserry(22kms) :
Total kms will be around :114kms via MC road.
While via Ernakulam(NH47) :
Angamaly-Aluva(17kms)-Vytilla(16kms)-Cherthala(36kms)-Alappuzha(23kms)-Changanaserry(24kms) : Total kms will be around : 116kms

Definitely take NH47 route as it is straight(beware of traffic BTW!) .MC road is winding and hilly in many places like between muvattupuzha and ettumanoor.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:47   #422
Senior - BHPian

Folks, i need your help.

I am driving to Kochi this Saturday (20 Dec), and i am looking for optimal route (for me optimal is - decent roads, reasonable speeds, i don't care if its a little longer as long as i can drive in convenience and reach faster)

I have driven from Bangalore to Kochi twice before, but my last trip was about 2 years back. I been reading this thread, and here's the idea i got for the route:

Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore - > Palakkad

Here are the questions:

1) Is this the optimal route, considering current road conditions and all?
2) I always did Krishnagiri ->Dharmapuri in my previous trips. How do i avoid Dharmapuri? Any landmarks so i can identify this route/diversion properly?
3) Last trip i went via Salem (might be after bhavani->avinashi). I read that you can hit Cbe directly and save some time. Is this the Mettur route? If so what landmark should i look for and from where should i take the turn?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 18th December 2008 at 08:50.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:20   #423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishnagiri -> Thoppur -> Bhavani -> Avinashi -> Coimbatore - > Palakkad

Here are the questions:

1) Is this the optimal route, considering current road conditions and all?
2) I always did Krishnagiri ->Dharmapuri in my previous trips. How do i avoid Dharmapuri? Any landmarks so i can identify this route/diversion properly?
3) Last trip i went via Salem (might be after bhavani->avinashi). I read that you can hit Cbe directly and save some time. Is this the Mettur route? If so what landmark should i look for and from where should i take the turn?
1) Yes according to me, leave early from BLR (5 - 530 am) and you will enjoy the drive.

2) The bypass is ready and you dont have to touch Dharmapuri now

3) After Dharmapuri, you will decent Thoppur ghats, at the end of Thoppur, you will see a right turn off mentioning Palghat, take this and you will reach Mettur and then move on to Bhavani, where you will rejoin the road to CBE. This is a state highway so please drive carefully, though traffic will be less keep the speeds to 80-100 for a safe drive.
Old 18th December 2008, 10:55   #424
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Jaggu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
2) The bypass is ready and you dont have to touch Dharmapuri now
Ok, So i get a bypass just after Krishnagiri which hits Thoppur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
3) After Dharmapuri, you will decent Thoppur ghats, at the end of Thoppur,
sorry a little confused now. Did u mean Krishnagiri or Dharmapuri?
Old 18th December 2008, 12:43   #425
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sandeep,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
any idea about the route through muvattupuzha
Thanks
Sorry, I have not used that route at all.

Quote:
Could you also let me know what would the ideal time taken to cover both the routes ,
I don't usually cross 70 inside Kerala. Chalakkudy - Angamali must be around 18 kms, Angamali to my house here is 86km (as per odometer) and Changanaseery bus stand is another 29 kms. Recently I covered the Angamaly Alleppey strech in 2 hours. So add an hour for the Chalakkudy - Angamaly stretch as well as the Alleppey Chanagnacherry stretch.

So 3 hours should be comfortable for the stretch. I had covered the Angamaly Alleppey stretch between 04:12 and 06:11PM on the 9th.
Old 18th December 2008, 12:50   #426

also is there any suggested breakfast joints in/around Mettur, given that we would be starting from B'lore around 4 am
Old 18th December 2008, 13:01   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Jaggu!

Ok, So i get a bypass just after Krishnagiri which hits Thoppur?

sorry a little confused now. Did u mean Krishnagiri or Dharmapuri?
Just before Dharmapuri town the road turns to RT which is the Dharmapuri bypass, so i wouldnt say just after Krishnagiri. About 5 kms before Dharmapuri town (old route).

After Dharmapuri bypass comes Thopur ghats, which you have to decent. Keep an eye out for ripple bumps on the ghats, they can take you and the car unaware, then you reach Thoppur which is a flat stretch where you will see trucks parked. Then comes the RT turn off for Bhavani. There is a big road sign which will inform you of Palghat so you shouldnt miss it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkurian_in View Post
also is there any suggested breakfast joints in/around Mettur, given that we would be starting from B'lore around 4 am
Well this is one issue with the route, food joints. Mettur am not sure, move on to Bhavani and once you enter Bhavani you should get some south indian places.

OR take a detour into Dharmapuri where you can find many options, with clean toilet facility. Recommended if you are traveling with women and family.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:07   #428
Senior - BHPian

thanks Jaggu - this helps.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:12   #429
BHPian

[q

OR take a detour into Dharmapuri where you can find many options, with clean toilet facility. Recommended if you are traveling with women and family.[/quote]

Hi, there is decent Meenakshi bhavan hotel in Dharmapuri town.Bnag on the main road. Decent parking also. adviced if with family.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:57   #430
Senior - BHPian

sorry Folks - one more question. After reading through the entire thread heard about the real bad condition of the roads from Palakkad-Trichur. I always go Palakkad-Trichur-Angamaly. Is the roads still bad - should i take an alternate route to Kochi?
Old 18th December 2008, 14:17   #431
BHPian

Thanks Trrk and Deepclutch for the replies , It certainly helped.

Now i just need some references for good food joints in Bhavani or Mettur

Thanks
Sandeep
Old 18th December 2008, 14:31   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Trrk and Deepclutch for the replies , It certainly helped.

Now i just need some references for good food joints in Bhavani or Mettur

Thanks
Sandeep
Refer below, this is a decent stop, had tried it sometime back. This comes on the LT hand side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi, there is decent Meenakshi bhavan hotel in Dharmapuri town.Bnag on the main road. Decent parking also. adviced if with family.
Quote:
sorry Folks - one more question. After reading through the entire thread heard about the real bad condition of the roads from Palakkad-Trichur. I always go Palakkad-Trichur-Angamaly. Is the roads still bad - should i take an alternate route to Kochi?
This stretch is in pretty good shape, except for few 100 mts and also for some construction/deviations between Trichur and Angamaly.
Old 18th December 2008, 14:36   #433
Team-BHP Support

OT : I embark on a KL trip every Xmas since i bought my car for the past 2 years. This is the first time we arent going home for Xmas. Missing the drive home. :(
Old 18th December 2008, 16:02   #434
Senior - BHPian

I am driving to Cochin coming Sunday. I see that the recommended route now is:

Any recommended food joints on this way?
Old 18th December 2008, 17:30   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am driving to Cochin coming Sunday. I see that the recommended route now is:

Any recommended food joints on this way?

This is what i do, leave around 530am. Stop after Krishnagiri for morning tea/cofee. Then move to Dharmapuri town (prefer Adiyaman palace hotel) for a sumptuous Break fast (yes you wont be able to enjoy the new bypass and will have to do it in return journey). By lunch am in Palghat (hotel srichakra on the NH just before the bypass Jn, slightly expensive and slow service) OR there are many options inside town.

Road side shacks for tea, coffee and tender coconuts in between Bhavani and CBE to keep you going till Palghat.

If you drive at a faster pace, then you can catch lunch at Trichur, again many options available before and after the Trichur bypass.

There are some dhabas also on the way, but during day time they might not be open or ready.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th December 2008 at 17:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks