Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 12:20   #391
Team-BHP Support

Darn i thought they would have done up the road after monsoon with sabarimala season starting and all.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:51   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Snowhite is lil bored and its time to take her for a deserving drive. Also i have to attend a function in Trivandrum next week, so thought of driving down this weekend. Roam around TVM for 3-4 days and return next week middle.

Need update and route info for:

Onward: Drive from BLR to TVM, since am planning on a 1 day drive thinking of taking TN roads instead of struggling with KL traffic. BLR - Salem - Madurai - Thirunelveli - TVM

So guide me from BLR to TVM, route with major stop over points suitable for break fast, lunch and toilet facilities please. Plan is to leave early by 530-600 am from BLR.

Return: Onward journey experience will decide if i drive straight back the same route, or else i will take a break in Cochin and then drive back to BLR from there. So update on road condition from TVM to Bhavani via Palakad.
Please check out the attached file which has the route for Bangalore-Trivandrum via Madurai and Nagercoil.

You also have the option of going from Madurai-Tirumangalam via Rajapalayam, Tenkasi to Trivandrum. There has been some discussion on this in the forum before, you will get more info in other threads.

Facilities on the route via Madurai are good. No suggestions for eating places, don't know any.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BlrTVMviaMDU.xls (18.0 KB, 372 views)
Old 19th November 2008, 15:42   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
yesterday ,travelled from coimbatore to muvattupuzha.the palakkad-thrissur road is potholes infested ,even ksrtc(kerala) buses are struggling.But ,I hope experts can do it without damaging their vehicles.
Hi,

What is the status of Angamaly - Trichur 4 lining work?
Old 19th November 2008, 16:04   #394
Team-BHP Support

Thanks HVkumar excel is really helpful. And i would prefer to stick to the NH's and wouldnt want to explore alternate SH's.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:11   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Hi,

What is the status of Angamaly - Trichur 4 lining work?
still going on.lot of bottle necks which needs waiting and as usual heavy traffic.but can be very much doable in 1 hour time.I will suggest a GO ,if else you have to go through NH17 narrow road but still lesser traffic =>thrissur-iringalakuda-kodungalloor-paravur-varappuzha-Ernakulam-towards chottanikkara or kottayam .for sabarimala ,you can continue from paravur-aluva-perumbavoor-muvattupuzha-thodupuzha-erattupettah-pampa(shorter route).
Old 1st December 2008, 10:02   #396
BHPian

Thought of giving life to this thread once again as the next driving season is round the corner.. Requesting updates on current condition of NH 47 for Salem to Cochin travel
Old 1st December 2008, 11:33   #397
BHPian

Recently heard from a firend that tvm-nagercoil route is in terrible shape with big potholes. It was reported before a week. And the surprising thing is that the roads are broken in tamilnadu and not in kerala !
Old 1st December 2008, 11:57   #398
Team-BHP Support

Quick update from my side.

If you are going TVM side please DONOT take the TN route, whatever you save till Tirunelveli is lost by the time till you reach Trivandrum. From Tirunelveli onwards the roads start deteriorating, which reaches the pinnacle around Nagercoil. There is no roads between Nagercoil and Marthandam, thats what i would say.

On the other hand the road inside Kerala is in much better shape, including CBE-Palghat which is almost completely repaired. Palghat - Trichur, apart from very small stretch, is in very good shape.

@joe: Salem to Bhavani has detours and road work, but otherwise ok. Bhavani to CBE similar but lesser chaos. CBE to Cochin is in pretty good shape, though beware of some pot holes here and there.

@swathy: You are right, dont even thread beyond Marthandam if you love your car

Will try to post a detailed log in the coming days.
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:38   #399
BHPian

Bangalore - Cochin

Which would be the prefered route for Bangalore - Cochin during Christmas vacation?

I have two routes in mind:

1. Bangalore - Mettur - CBE - Cochin
2. B'lore - Mysore - Nilambur - Cochin
I will be traveling on 20th. Please suggest
Old 9th December 2008, 16:02   #400
BHPian

Salem - CBE status

A relative of mine travelled from B'lore to Palakkad last week and he claimed the Salem - Avinashi stretch is in very poor state. It seems the 4-laning work has come to a standstill too. He apparently was not able to do speeds of more than 45-50km on this stretch.

Can any of you verify the current condition of this stretch? It seems the Mettur route isn't in good condition too; any updates?

Why I'm asking is coz my dad is driving down (with driver) next week to Cochin in his NHC; would like to give him the real picture of what to expect.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2008, 17:30   #401
Senior - BHPian

Easiest and the latest information is to check with the Volvo drivers who ply daily between blore and TVM/ EKM just before you start your trip drive by Madiwala, stop at the kallada travels office and 90% of the time you will have drivers loiterring around , and are usually very helpful and talkative . Ask them and you get updates as a fresh as 12 hours back ....I usually confirm my route to home only after i check with the volvo / Kerala RTC drivers at Madiwala.

Last edited by hellstar : 9th December 2008 at 17:33. Reason: typos...
Old 10th December 2008, 14:06   #402
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
A relative of mine travelled from B'lore to Palakkad last week and he claimed the Salem - Avinashi stretch is in very poor state. It seems the 4-laning work has come to a standstill too. He apparently was not able to do speeds of more than 45-50km on this stretch.
Can any of you verify the current condition of this stretch? It seems the Mettur route isn't in good condition too; any updates?
Why I'm asking is coz my dad is driving down (with driver) next week to Cochin in his NHC; would like to give him the real picture of what to expect.
Cheers
I just did this stretch, but took a left to Erode after Sankari and via Perundurai back to the NH.

I have seen the roads better in the past. The NH work does make you criss cross the lanes, but it is driveable.

I wanted to try the Mettur road this time, but the first kilometre did not look encouraging and so turned back and used the NH.
Old 10th December 2008, 14:14   #403
BHPian

Any idea on the condition of kuttipuram road ( ekm-cal route) it was a real hell before 2 months.
Old 12th December 2008, 10:23   #404

Hi All,

I am planning to drive from Bangalore to Cochin (Krishnagiri --> Dharmapuri --> CBE -....) . On route I wanted to identify places with clean toilet facilities. Can someone help me.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:00   #405
Senior - BHPian

Cochin-Shertalla-Alapuzha: Good
Alapuzha-Kayamkulam-Kollam: Careful coz you have potholes on straight wide stretches; thats where you do 3 digit speeds easily and hence need extra care.
Oachira-Kollam-Tvm: Good.

They have started patching up and Tvm-Kollam has already been patched and they are now marking the road(the centre and sides).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks