Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 16:06   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
Hey Pramod, when did u travel on this route andhow much time it took you to reach munnar from bangalore...
I am planninig to take this route duirng Aug 15 long weekend...

Please let me know...

thanks
You dont need to go to Salem, you could take a right at Thoppur to Mettur and then onto Bhavani and Perundurai, that would save you time.
Old 4th August 2008, 18:07   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I would say tagging along with a lorry is more dangerous because a lot of these guys give scant regard to animals while they cross the forests, this includes acts like revving the engine little more than normal so that they sound louder.

Cheers.

I agree with this and dude , the second picture is bone chilling, and you definitely have taken a great amount of risk to get that shot. Its plain lucky that it was mock charge , had it been a real one there ie nothing which could have saved you especially so if the herd has kids with it.

Always be safe.Do a search and you will find a thread on how to deal with wildlife on the road, but as a primary rule its always respect them and they will respect you back.

That apart i am planning to drive down to trivandrum on 5th sep 2008, i will start at 1800 Hrs and plan to reach Trivandrum by 0600 Hrs on 6th Sep 08 , including stops . Was sort of planning to take the Tamilnadu route , but am open to suggestions . I am worried about the Salem - Coimbatore - Palghat strech in particular.

Last edited by hellstar : 4th August 2008 at 18:09.
Old 4th August 2008, 19:45   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Hi I have travelled in the Bandipur, Mudumalai, Nagarhole and the Bathery route as well, never have I had a problem with elephants even though I have encountered almost all of them including a Makhana in Musth.

If you are careful and accept that they have the right of way and stay patient at a distance very rarely they charge, I have had a mock charge as well in the safari vehicle I was travelling, that was by an elephant which had a very young calf with it. Acts like Honking, flashing lights etc. irritate them. Its better to allow them to cross the road and continue on their path rather than try passing around them etc. in order to save a few minutes.

I would say tagging along with a lorry is more dangerous because a lot of these guys give scant regard to animals while they cross the forests, this includes acts like revving the engine little more than normal so that they sound louder.
Cheers.
Hi @pypkmsrikanth, Its quiet understood that No Honking in the forest section, but during night we cannot travel without our lights on. This can irritate a wildanimal any time. Though I travelled thru this road many times even in the odd hours, that was the first time I had such an incident. Later in the same day while having dinner at SulthanBathery, the hotel fellow told that one stray elephant destroyed one Alto recently, but passengers were safe in side.

My intention is only to give a word of caution..!!

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 5th August 2008, 10:11   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I agree with this and dude , the second picture is bone chilling, and you definitely have taken a great amount of risk to get that shot. Its plain lucky that it was mock charge , had it been a real one there ie nothing which could have saved you especially so if the herd has kids with it.
Always be safe.Do a search and you will find a thread on how to deal with wildlife on the road, but as a primary rule its always respect them and they will respect you back.
The second picture was taken from the safari vehicle, this charge happened on the Teppakadu - Gudalur stretch even before our driver could stop the vehicle on sighting the elephant behind the bushes, possibily the charge happened because the elephant must have been irritated by a vehicle which passed the stretch before us, nevertheless its always "Better Safe than Sorry". Infact if you read my post I had posted saying that I have never had any issues till date with elephants despite travelling so many times in the forests in South is because am clear that I do not have the right of the way till I cross the forest border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
That apart i am planning to drive down to trivandrum on 5th sep 2008, i will start at 1800 Hrs and plan to reach Trivandrum by 0600 Hrs on 6th Sep 08 , including stops . Was sort of planning to take the Tamilnadu route , but am open to suggestions . I am worried about the Salem - Coimbatore - Palghat strech in particular.
This is something which is going to be painful for you because Tindivanam - Trichy would be quite bad during nights, while Salem - Palghat - Tvm would be a much longer route. Nevertheless I would suggest you to stick to the regular route via Trichy - Madurai - Tirunelveli.

Cheers
Srikanth
Old 5th August 2008, 17:32   #245
BHPian

Quote:
You dont need to go to Salem, you could take a right at Thoppur to Mettur and then onto Bhavani and Perundurai, that would save you time.
pypkmsrikanth,
thanks for the info. what is the condition of the roads on this path?

thanks in advance,
Old 7th August 2008, 10:35   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
pypkmsrikanth,
thanks for the info. what is the condition of the roads on this path?

thanks in advance,
The road conditions from Thoppur upto Bhavani is good, after Bhavani you would join back NH47 and then onto Perundurai, but it saves the pain of going to Salem and coming via Sankari to Perundurai

Cheers
Old 7th August 2008, 10:57   #247
BANNED

What would the best route to take from Kochi to Puttaparthy? Priority to be given to good roads followed by time taken. Also, Bangalore city traffic needs to be bypassed as much as possible.
Old 7th August 2008, 11:44   #248
Senior - BHPian

Kochi to Bangalore has been discussed several times, usual routes. From Bangalore, take NH7 (popularly called Bellary Road, now the New Airport road), and go till Penukonda, after which you turn off to Puttaparthi. Penukonda is 150 kms from Bangalore. From Penukonda, Puttaparthi is 40 kms.

I am sure Bangalorean tbhians will guide you on the best way to navigate Bangalore, but I would take the Ring Road from Madivala (Silk Board Junction) and go to NH7. Signages are excellent.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:01   #249
BANNED

Thanks hvkumar, I should have phrased my question better. The usual routes are my question. The last few posts in this thread are conflicting with each other.

Bangalore to Puttaparthy is straighforward but I was wondering if the route from Tumkur to Chikkaballapur could be considered. Assuming one comes in to Bangalore from NH209 (Kanakapura side) and takes the NICE ring road.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...oad-query.html

This is for one of my friends travelling with aged parents and therefore, good roads are a priority.
Old 7th August 2008, 18:10   #250
Senior - BHPian

I have a query regarding the route to be taken from kozhikode to kutta as in via mananthvady. How far is the airport from calicut and also hows the road conditions on this stretch.
Thanks in advance
Old 7th August 2008, 18:37   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I have a query regarding the route to be taken from kozhikode to kutta as in via mananthvady. How far is the airport from calicut and also hows the road conditions on this stretch.
Thanks in advance
You take NH 212 from Calicut to Kalpetta and then turn off the Mananthavady. The road conditions till Kalpetta are very good. Calicut Airport is actually in Malappuram district, and you dont have to enter calicut town to go to Wayanad - you can continue thru the byepass (what passes off for one).

Kalpetta - Mananthavady route is normally is good condition, even if the roads are narrow and winding. Mananthavady to Kutta (border) through the Wayanad Wildlife Reserve near Thirunelli is also usually in motorable condition, though one doesnt know the status after rains. All this is based on prior experience of driving to my cousin's farm in mananthavady and to the temple at Thirunelli - I do NOT know the current status unlike the road until Kalpetta that I drove through just a week back.

After you cross into Karnataka at Kutta, though - its the road to hell.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th August 2008 at 18:38.
Old 7th August 2008, 19:58   #252
Senior - BHPian

@Steeroid Thanks steeroid. Well the roads from kutta to home is about 15 kms and is seriously bad. I keep Getting reviews as my dad has to do this stretch on a daily basis.
Well will keep you guys updated on the road conditions post my visit next week. Hope its a nice one.
Old 8th August 2008, 12:46   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
What would the best route to take from Kochi to Puttaparthy? Priority to be given to good roads followed by time taken. Also, Bangalore city traffic needs to be bypassed as much as possible.
May be you should consider taking a right at Attibelle junction after Hosur, go onto Sarjapur and then onto Devanahalli, which if my memory serves correct is the NH207 via Hoskote. This would save you the trouble of going through Bangalore city. From Devanahalli its pretty straight forward to Penukonda. May be HVKumar could confirm if this is the right option.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:30   #254
BHPian

Hi , can anyone give me some urgent info regarding the road conditions from BLR to cochin (through Mysore-Calicut), I am planning to drive down this friday and hence , can any one help me out ?
Old 11th August 2008, 19:18   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
.... Mananthavady to Kutta (border) through the Wayanad Wildlife Reserve near Thirunelli is also usually in motorable condition, though one doesnt know the status after rains. .... I do NOT know the current status unlike the road until Kalpetta that I drove through just a week back.

After you cross into Karnataka at Kutta, though - its the road to hell.
All,

Today I came to bangalore via this route. Manathawadi to Kerala border the road is motorable though there are many deep gutter developed. But the road from Kerala border to Nagarhole Entrance is really a hell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks