Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 21:38   #256
BHPian

hi guys,

Ia m planning to take the following route to munnar, as per the suggestions from the memebers on this forum :
Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - THoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Perundurai - Dharapuram - Udumalpet - Chinnar - Munnar

Can you please let me know the decent places to stop enroute to refresh and for lunch?

I am planning to start on 14th early morning from bangalore..

thanks much..
Old 25th August 2008, 17:21   #257
BHPian

Query: Bangalore - Trivandrum

Hi all,

I need info from some one who has recently done this trip. We are planning a trip to trivandrum on Septmber 2, 2008.

I have searched in the forum and found a quite a few good routes. But not able to take a decision. Please help us.

Travellers:
Two families including a 4 months old baby, a 9 months old baby and a 10 years old boy.

Car:
Innova

Possible choices:
1. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Thoppur - Mettur - Bhavani - Sathy - Coimbatore - Palghat - Trissur - Ernakulam - Cochin - Quilon - Trivandrum - Most preferred route, but not sure of the route after Mettur - Please advise whether there are help available around in the night.
2. Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Coimbatore - Palghat - Trissur - Ernakulam - Cochin - Quilon - Trivandrum - How is the road condition after salem. I know there is 4 laning work in progress, is that completed. I know the roads till Salem better since I have been using it frequently. Question is how is it after Salem.
3. Tvm-Ayur-Anchal-Punalur-Achankovil-Aryankavu-(S)Chencottah-Madurai-Dindigul-Karur-Salem-Thoppur-Dharmapuri-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Bangalore - Again, I am familiar with the road condition till Namakkal, not sure of the conditions after that. Is that route good? Please advise.
4. Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangaud - Thimmam - Sahty - Coimbatore - Palghat - Trissur - Ernakulam - Cochin - Quilon - Trivandrum - Is the ghat drives safe to drive in the night, that too with kids around? Please advise.
5. Tvm-Alleppy-Ekm-Edapally-chavakkad-Kunnamkullam-Perunthalmanna-Nilambur-Gudallur-bandhipur -Gundalpettu-Mysore- Bangalore. - This route seems to be shorter and scening, but again is it safe to drive this route with the kids around? Please advise.

I have searched found different opinions about the above mentioned routes, hence want to know the recent condition of the above routes.

Thanks in advance,

Regards
Subbu
Old 26th August 2008, 09:48   #258
BHPian

Hi Subbu,
I would suggest you go by Mysore-Calicut route if you like to enjoy a scenic drive.The roads are absolutely great.I had used the same road for my travel to TVM from Bangalore on Aug 15 weekend.
If you travel in this road, one thing that I would suggest is to branch off NH 17 at Kunnamkulam and go for Trichur to join NH 47 as , the roads after Kunnamkulam are really narrow and you might end up trailing a 18 wheeler all the way up to EKM.Distance from BLR to EKM through Mysore-Calicut is 550 kms and that way it is almost same as the normal Salem Palghat route (minus all those busy roads, construction plus scenic beauty)
Old 26th August 2008, 10:48   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi Subbu,
I would suggest you go by Mysore-Calicut route if you like to enjoy a scenic drive.The roads are absolutely great.I had used the same road for my travel to TVM from Bangalore on Aug 15 weekend.
If you travel in this road, one thing that I would suggest is to branch off NH 17 at Kunnamkulam and go for Trichur to join NH 47 as , the roads after Kunnamkulam are really narrow and you might end up trailing a 18 wheeler all the way up to EKM.Distance from BLR to EKM through Mysore-Calicut is 550 kms and that way it is almost same as the normal Salem Palghat route (minus all those busy roads, construction plus scenic beauty)
Hi Joecherian,

Thanks for the suggestion. Please elaborate more on the route. Is that safe to drive with 3 kids around. I may need to break on the way to refresh the kids and more over we are planning to leave Bangalore in the evening, that means I will be handling this route in the night. My concern is safety. Please help. I prefer to drive these scenic routes instead of busy NH47.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 26th August 2008, 20:37   #260
Senior - BHPian

Anoher alternative (in my view, the best) is to come on Nh47 upto Ernakulam, switch over to NH17 at either Kalamaserry (end of Ernakulam byypass) or at Aluva (via Paravur) and go on NH17 till Edapal. Switch over to roue via Perinthalmanna, Nilambur, Nadugani, Gudalur, Mudumalai, Bandipur to Gundulpet where you join the Calicut-Bangalore road and proceed via Mysore. Nilambur road and Gudalur roads are in great shape now.

Another alternative is to go from Gundulpet (Mysore-Ooty/Calicut road) via Bandipur, Mudumalai, Gudalur, Nadugani, Nilambur to Perinthalmanna and join Nh17 at Edappal. All roads are in good condiion.

But the roads beyond Gundulpet have wildlife after dark, alhough it is safe to go through at night (both on Gunduplet-Calicut as well as Gundulpet-Nilambur). Nilambur route is less ttraffic and more wildlife!
Old 26th August 2008, 21:16   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Anoher alternative (in my view, the best) is to come on Nh47 upto Ernakulam, switch over to NH17 at either Kalamaserry (end of Ernakulam byypass) or at Aluva (via Paravur) and go on NH17 till Edapal. Switch over to roue via Perinthalmanna, Nilambur, Nadugani, Gudalur, Mudumalai, Bandipur to Gundulpet where you join the Calicut-Bangalore road and proceed via Mysore. Nilambur road and Gudalur roads are in great shape now.

Another alternative is to go from Gundulpet (Mysore-Ooty/Calicut road) via Bandipur, Mudumalai, Gudalur, Nadugani, Nilambur to Perinthalmanna and join Nh17 at Edappal. All roads are in good condiion.

But the roads beyond Gundulpet have wildlife after dark, alhough it is safe to go through at night (both on Gunduplet-Calicut as well as Gundulpet-Nilambur). Nilambur route is less ttraffic and more wildlife!
Hi Kumar,

Thanks for the very good suggestion. So from Bangalore, I need to go through Mysore - Gundulpet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Gudalur - Nadugani - Nilambur - Perinthalmana - Edapal - Aluva - Ernakula - TVM. I like to take this route, but want to ensure that this route is safe to drive at night with the kids around and also want to know about the road condition after Mudumalai to Gudalur. I heard they are bad condition. But that is one year back. Not sure of the condition now. Do you have any ideas regarding the condition now? I have driven till Mudumalai, but not after that. Hence want to make sure about that. My one and only concern is that this time I am travelling with the kids.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 26th August 2008, 22:18   #262
Senior - BHPian

Subbu,

Road from Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur is in good condition (last week's update) - roads all repaired. But I just realised that the Nadugani-Nilambur road is regulated by a Forest Dept checkpost - used to be closed at night - any update on that, anyone?

Gundulpet-Calicut road is open all night, ideally tail a bus or truck to avoid being he first guy to face an elephant! I have even driven these stretches at night in a bike - was stopped by elephants near Gudalur 2 times bettween 7 and 9 pm and 6 and 7 am, went through without any encounters between 2 and 3 am in Mudumalai-Masinagudi-Ooty road and also beween 12-1 am on Sultan's Battery-Gundulpet road, all on bike.
Old 27th August 2008, 07:37   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Subbu,

Road from Mudumalai-Gudalur-Nilambur is in good condition (last week's update) - roads all repaired. But I just realised that the Nadugani-Nilambur road is regulated by a Forest Dept checkpost - used to be closed at night - any update on that, anyone?
Hmmm.... So its better to take this route if we drive in the day, or else I can plan my timing, so that I can reach Nadugani-Nilambur in the early morning. Hence let me plan to leave around 10 pm - 11 pm from bangalore. This will make me to reach Gudalur by morning 5 - 6 am.

Thanks a lot, Kumar.

Regards
Subbu
Old 27th August 2008, 19:34   #264
BHPian

Hi Subbu,

I am planning to drive to Ernakulam on Sept. 6 early morning. Please update the route and its condition after your travel.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:18   #265
BHPian

Hi Subbu, With family and kids around, better route will be Mettur/Selam ones.

It'll be difficult to get hotels/restaurants at night in Nadugani route or gundalpet calicut road.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:57   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
Hi Subbu,

I am planning to drive to Ernakulam on Sept. 6 early morning. Please update the route and its condition after your travel.

Thanks in advance.
Sure, Will definitely post my travelogue with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Hi Subbu, With family and kids around, better route will be Mettur/Selam ones.

It'll be difficult to get hotels/restaurants at night in Nadugani route or gundalpet calicut road.
Hi Shoemaker,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Hence decided to take the route during the day, that is we are planning to leave early morning from Bangalore.

Thanks & Regards
Subbu
Old 29th August 2008, 11:28   #267

Bangalore Cochin Road Condition

Hi all,

Can somebody share how the condition of roads from Bangalore to Cochin offlate.
Am planning to take Bangalore - Hosur - Dharmapuri - Mettur - Bhavani - Coimbatore - Palaghar - Thrissur - Cochin. and am planning to leave by 5 early in morning... request some fellow bhpians to throw light as to the time it takes to reach there. btw am driving on a Getz 1.1 just after the first service.
Any tips appreciated..

Thanks
Getzzzzzzzy

Last edited by Getzzzzzzzy : 29th August 2008 at 11:38. Reason: spell check
Old 29th August 2008, 11:54   #268
BHPian

I would suggest you to do a search for the same as there are umpteen number of threads which talks about the same.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:07   #269
Senior - BHPian

Isn't there a Bangalore to Cochin or Thrissur thread already there?

Anyways

Bangalore - Hosur expect lot of road work especially till TN border.

Take right after Hosur flyover towards Rayakottai - Palacode. You will join the Dharmapuri - Salem highway just after Dharmapuri. Good 2 lane road till there. Except road work from there till Thoppur.

Take right at Thoppur towards Mettur - Bhavani. Road conditions are good.

Bhavani - Perundurai - Avanashi - Coimbatore bypass. Expect lot of road work. 4 laning in progress. Watch out for mad traffic.

Coimbatore - Palaghat road is good.

Palaghat - Thrissur - Cochin I'm not sure of after the monsoon. Search for Monsoon update thread for current road conditions in Kerala.

If you leave at 5, Hosur - 6 am, Thoppur - 8 am, Bhavani - 9.30 (breakfast). Coimbatore - 12.30 pm (lunch). Thrissur - 4 pm, Cochin - 5.30 pm. Time based on moderate speeds and stopovers.
Old 29th August 2008, 14:30   #270
BANNED

There're threads discussing about this already.
Please search!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks