Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:54   #3736
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
The positives of taking Chamravattom Road is that there are no tolls (a saving of Rs 85) and lesser traffic.
Which toll do you save ? Don't remember paying any when I travelled between Calicut and Guruvayoor last month (except the one at the Calicut byepass).
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:00   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Which toll do you save?
I was talking of the Mannuthy-Edapally NH toll.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:43   #3738
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for all the responses - rameshnanda, ajithbr, rajeevraj, mpksuhas - a combined wealth of information on the route/road conditions ! No wonder why this thread is highly rated.

So the route via Calicut is recommended and there are few options for routes from Calicut to Guruvayoor, have pointed my friend to this thread.
I will also be taking the Bangalore-Sultan-Bathery-Kalpetta-Thamarassery-Calicut route later this month and will update on latest conditions then.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:05   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
OK. Here is an update for you. Took this route on our drive to Chalakudy y'day night and it was a breeze. Started from BEML gate, HAL at about 12.20 and was in Coimbatore City by 6am with 3 breaks totaling 45 mins.
Hi Lloyd, how safe is this route for a night travel ? I have to drive down to cochin tomorrow and the latest I can start from bangalore is 6 PM. In this time, is it advisable to take this NH 209 route (considering the friday traffic that might be there on this route) ?
More important, how safe is this for night travel ? I will be travelling with my wife.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:19   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi Lloyd, how safe is this route for a night travel ? I have to drive down to cochin tomorrow and the latest I can start from bangalore is 6 PM. In this time, is it advisable to take this NH 209 route (considering the friday traffic that might be there on this route) ?
More important, how safe is this for night travel ? I will be travelling with my wife.
There are no safety issues and the route sees traffic through the night. However, between Chamarajnagar & Bannari, you can expect to see wildlife, especially elephants & bison, so be extra-cautious & watch out for any crossings.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:46   #3741
BHPian

Can anyone please update the current condition of salem-coimbatore-palakkad route ? Has the road works near avinashi completed ? Is it better to take the valayar route or the kangeyam route
Old 24th May 2012, 14:54   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Can anyone please update the current condition of salem-coimbatore-palakkad route ? Has the road works near avinashi completed ? Is it better to take the valayar route or the kangeyam route
Construction is still going on but its not that bad to consider other routes.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:01   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Came this route day before yesterday. The works are far from over, but I see that at least one lane or the service road is done neatly – so except at the points of diversion it was not as bad as expected. Should still be better than any other route.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:03   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Joe, As HVK mentioned the route is safe but there are a lot of desolate stretches with virtually no traffic till Chamrajnagar. Eateries are very few for a night drive and for toilets you have to depend on Fuel Stations only. Watch out for some truck traffic after Chamrajanagar. Other than that it should be a stress free drive.
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 16:15   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
There are no safety issues and the route sees traffic through the night. However, between Chamarajnagar & Bannari, you can expect to see wildlife, especially elephants & bison, so be extra-cautious & watch out for any crossings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Joe, As HVK mentioned the route is safe but there are a lot of desolate stretches with virtually no traffic till Chamrajnagar. Eateries are very few for a night drive and for toilets you have to depend on Fuel Stations only. Watch out for some truck traffic after Chamrajanagar. Other than that it should be a stress free drive.
thanks a lot. Hope the traffic is not that bad till kanakpura (given that it is a friday evening). I am planning to take the NICE road from Hosur road to get out at kanakpura exit. Hope this is the best route for me (starting at 6 PM from CV Raman Nagar)
Old 24th May 2012, 16:29   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot. Hope the traffic is not that bad till kanakpura (given that it is a friday evening). I am planning to take the NICE road from Hosur road to get out at kanakpura exit. Hope this is the best route for me (starting at 6 PM from CV Raman Nagar)
Hmmm... I'm not familiar with the traffic on the NICE road. But I wouldn't suggest a 6pm start from CV Raman Nagar. It is better to start before 5-5.30 to avoid the peak hour rush else start after 9pm for a relaxed drive.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:51   #3747
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Second what lloydofcochin mentioned. It would be better if you able to start a bit early since for reaching NICE road on Hosur road you need to travel through Marthahalli- Bellandur strech of ORR. Starting bit early will help you in beating peak traffic that builds up after six. Else expect bottle necks at Kadubisinahalli, Bellandur, Silkboard junction.
Expect moderate traffic till Kanakpura, also rest rooms are not present even if some petrol bunks on way. Guess the best option for rest room and food will be Rajdhani resturant in Chamarajnagar near KSRTC bus stand. Most other resturants on road side was bit shack like bar attached ones and felt not suitable for family.
Old 24th May 2012, 16:58   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ Second what lloydofcochin mentioned. It would be better if you able to start a bit early since for reaching NICE road on Hosur road you need to travel through Marthahalli- Bellandur strech of ORR. Starting bit early will help you in beating peak traffic that builds up after six. Else expect bottle necks at Kadubisinahalli, Bellandur, Silkboard junction.
Expect moderate traffic till Kanakpura, also rest rooms are not present even if some petrol bunks on way. Guess the best option for rest room and food will be Rajdhani resturant in Chamarajnagar near KSRTC bus stand. Most other resturants on road side was bit shack like bar attached ones and felt not suitable for family.
From CV Raman Nagar shorter route for him would be Indiranager - Ejipura - Madivala - Silk Board. But the issue would be that with a 6pm start the IRR would be choked.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:14   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Gokul@Kanakapura and Nandhini@Kollegal are both good for food and toilets. I think Rajdhani@Chamarajnagar closes by 10 PM which will be too tight if you start 6PM from C.V.Raman Nagar. However, if you think you can reach Chamarajnagar for dinner, I would recommed Nijaguna Residency. Beyond Chamarajnagar, please do not expect anything decent for a break with family till you join back NH-47. And I am not sure how comfortable you will be if you are descending Bannari ghats (with 27 Hairpin bends and relatively narrow stretches in between) in the night (well, almost midnight!) when there is heavy truck traffic and many overnight buses from Coimbatore/Erode towards Mysore.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:38   #3750
Senior - BHPian

I maybe driving to KL over the weekend. I am thinking about taking the NH209 from Bannerghatta Road to Coimbatore and join NH47 from there.

I went to Coimbatore via NH209 last month and the road condition is excellent. Moreover, I thoroughly enjoyed driving on this road. But I am worried about getting stuck inside Coimbatore city.

Is this a good option to take and what is the shortest way to get onto NH47 from NH209? We are looking to drive during the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks