Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 06:24   #4456
Senior - BHPian

re: All Roads to Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
I am planning to take the below route from Trivendrum to Bangalore as I want to visit Srivilliputtur. Else would have taken the known Nagercoil route and then NH7. What is the road condition
Trivendrum –> Nedumangadu->Palode->Thenmala ->Rajapalyam->Srivillaputtur->Madurai->NH7 to Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Pramod had taken this road. Its narrow but very decent is what I remember him mentioning.
I had taken this route in 2011 October and the roads were OK then. It is also shorter than the Nagercoil route and more scenic. Expect some Sabarimala traffic. Also, this route is not suitable for night driving. Go ahead and take it.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:15   #4457
BHPian

Does anyone know the road condition between Avinashi and CBE. Is it advisable to take the Kangeyam - Pollachi route to Palakkad during night (around 10 PM) ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:49   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinucv View Post
Does anyone know the road condition between Avinashi and CBE. Is it advisable to take the Kangeyam - Pollachi route to Palakkad during night (around 10 PM) ?
L&T Bypass is ok.Walayar-Palakkad is bad to ok.IMO no need to divert from NH47 if your destination is Palakkad.If its beyond Palakkad,then taking the Pollachi route makes sense.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:16   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I had taken this route in 2011 October and the roads were OK then. It is also shorter than the Nagercoil route and more scenic. Expect some Sabarimala traffic. Also, this route is not suitable for night driving. Go ahead and take it.
Thanks Pramod. We will do this during day time.
Old 3rd December 2012, 18:40   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you dont have any particular reason to take the NH212,take the Nilambur route to Palakkad.Roads are far better than the Wayanad route.Gundlupet-Bandipur-Gudalur-Nadugani-Vazhikadavu-Nilambur-Wandoor-Pandikkad-Pattikad-Perinthalmana-Manarkad-Olavakode-Palakkad.Ofcourse this route is again provided you do not want to take the NH7-NH47 combo

If you do end up taking the NH212,nothing to worry about pumps,plenty of them on the route.
I have to touch Vythiri, else I would used the above said route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satshen View Post
On Sunday 25/11/2012 I had done the Nilambur - Manjeri - Areekode - Mukkam - Thamarassery - Sulthan Bathery route. The road is good, except for a short rough stretch between Mukkam - Thamarassery where a culvert is under construction (don't recollect the exact place).

No idea about good bunk in Sulthan Bathery
Thats good news on the road condition. Shall update the post when I back.
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:02   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
I have to touch Vythiri, else I would used the above said route.

Thats good news on the road condition. Shall update the post when I back.
If you have to take NH212, take a look at the suggestions in this thread on how to avoid the bad Meenangadi-Kalpetta stretch. (Take a left at Kolagappara junction about 5 kms after Sulthan Batheri and go via Ambalavayal-Vadunanchal-Meppadi and join NH212 back at Chundale)
Old 4th December 2012, 19:39   #4462

Dear BHPians,

I will be travelling to Kazhakootam from Bangalore during Christmas. I'm planning to take the Thenmala route this time. I have never done this route before. I would like your suggestions on this route. Previously I have always taken Madurai-->Tirunelveli-->Nagercoil route.

Also, on the Thenmala route from google maps I see a deviation without touching Punalur. I would like to know if anyone has travelled this route. I have attached an image below.

All Roads to Kerala-route.jpg

Regards
Varun
Old 4th December 2012, 22:24   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunmukund View Post
Dear BHPians,

I will be travelling to Kazhakootam from Bangalore during Christmas. I'm planning to take the Thenmala route this time. I have never done this route before. I would like your suggestions on this route. Previously I have always taken Madurai-->Tirunelveli-->Nagercoil route.

Also, on the Thenmala route from google maps I see a deviation without touching Punalur. I would like to know if anyone has travelled this route. I have attached an image below.

Attachment 1022321

Regards
Varun
You do not have to touch Punalur anyway. At Tenmala, turn left towards the Trivandrum road (clearly marked) and that is the road you have marked in G Maps above
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 13:27   #4464
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

Regards
Varun
Did the shenkottai - Allepey - cochin route last week ( through punalur). The initial stretch on Thenmala hills is really bad. Huge craters all over the place. And once you take this route ( or any route within kerala) calculating your travel time is almost impossible except probably when it's a night drive ( post 9 PM ). You can try this if you want some adventure :-)
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 15:27   #4465
BHPian

Anybody traveling to Kannur (Kerala) on Dec 7th evening

Hi All
Way out of topic, but didnt know where else to post, so please excuse me.

Wanted to check if anybody is traveling to Kannur, Kerala specifically Taliparamba on Dec 7th evening. I need to attend a wedding there, but i am only getting tickets for Saturday evening. I am ready to share in the driving, travel costs till there.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Ronald
Old 8th December 2012, 12:37   #4466
BHPian

What is the state of NH47 between kochi and trivandrum. I am visiting tvm tomorrow
Old 8th December 2012, 14:14   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

Attachment 1022321

Regards
Varun
I took this route last week but with a small deviation. I took Palode route from Kulathuppuzha. The first 10 km from Kulathuppuzha has a little bumpy ride but the rest of the road till TVM is very smooth and less traffic. But the main problem with the diversion from Madurai is the stretch between Madurai and Shenkottai where there are few small towns which has lot of traffic and hence cuts down your speed. It took 14 hours for me to reach TVM with about 3 hours of break. Not sure if I have really saved some time with respect to Nagercoil route.
alexanish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 16:48   #4468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselLover View Post
What is the state of NH47 between kochi and trivandrum. I am visiting tvm tomorrow
Pretty good. The only stretch to watch out is between Alleppey and Kayamkulam. Just after Alleppey it's bad and after that many sections till Kayamkulam are patched up and wont be comfortable. Took this route a month back.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 16:58   #4469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju

Pretty good. The only stretch to watch out is between Alleppey and Kayamkulam. Just after Alleppey it's bad and after that many sections till Kayamkulam are patched up and wont be comfortable. Took this route a month back.
Retaring was going on in this stretch when i passed that route two weeks back. Hope they have covered a good portion by now.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 17:10   #4470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Retaring was going on in this stretch when i passed that route two weeks back. Hope they have covered a good portion by now.
Did the stretch two weeks back. The stretch from Alleppey till we cross the bridge near Ambalappuzha (~13 kms) is not that good. Again, the stretch between Kayamkulam and Harippad is also not good, with frequent bad potholes.
The rest of the route is good, only issue is constant traffic which gets worse in case you are doing it during peak hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks